• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks vs. Nuggets...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Since the game is tonight, I would like to hear some thoughts on the matchups...

I think this is a very interesting game.

We have Denver vs. Atlanta.

Denver is on the 2nd night of a back to back.

We are at home currently on a streak that had we hit one JJ FT and played some good ball thereafter, we probably would have an 11 game winning streak... or something close.

They are 20 -11

we are 19 -10

The place where I see the matchup being developed is:

Joe Johnson vs. J.R. Smith.

Joe has been red-hot while over the last few games, Smith has faced:

Chandler - 17 pts, 4 rebs, 1 assist.

Iguadala - 24 pts, 4 rebs, 4 assists.

Roy - 19 pts, 6 rebs, and 3 assists.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Nuggs go to Klieza to play Joe. Joe should have no trouble shooting over Smith or Backing down Balkman.

Another matchup of interest is:

Horf vs. Nene.

Nene is not an offensive focus, but at 6'11" 250.. he's the type of guy that usually gives Horf Problems on the rebound.

Then there's:

Smoove vs. KMart.

I guess at one time, KMart was a mentor to Smoove. Problem is that Kmart has forgot more about post play than Smoove knows. Moreover, tonight we get to see if Smoove is willing to be physical because Kmart will play him physically.

First of all, his last name is Kleiza, not Klieza. :)

I hope Kleiza would have good game (it would be perfect if he scores +20) :), but if really, Hawks need win. Carmelo is fresh and just back to the court so I think all Nuggets players eyes will be on him. Yes, it was fun to score a lot of points in match with Bulls, but in this game I think we can't play "run and shoot" type of game. I hope that our defense will be the key to the victory. ;)

Edited by DaniqLT

The Carmelo / Marvin matchup really intrigues me. Carmelo's bum elbow has caused his jumper to be very inconsistent so I'm sure the scouting report is to stop his dribble drive penetration. Marvin has to be aggressive on offense and attack Carmelo's average defense. Make him work on the defensive end by taking it to the rack early.....then the open jumpers will come in abundance.

The PG matchup is also intrigueing. Billups is without doubt, the engine that runs the Nuggs. Billups has the same style game as Bibby's right now. I't like to see Flip play some tough D on Billups and we just hope that Bibby's jumper does not go cold. If Bibby's jumper does go cold then we need a big scoring night out of Flip and Marvin to pick up the slack.

Im hoping the bench shows up big tonight. I think Marvin will be the key. Will he be able to make Mello have a bad shooting night and make him work on the defensive end?

Gonna need Zaza to play big tonight on the boards, I see Bawse getting in foul trouble this evening.

• Premium Member
The Carmelo / Marvin matchup really intrigues me. Carmelo's bum elbow has caused his jumper to be very inconsistent so I'm sure the scouting report is to stop his dribble drive penetration. Marvin has to be aggressive on offense and attack Carmelo's average defense. Make him work on the defensive end by taking it to the rack early.....then the open jumpers will come in abundance.

The PG matchup is also intrigueing. Billups is without doubt, the engine that runs the Nuggs. Billups has the same style game as Bibby's right now. I't like to see Flip play some tough D on Billups and we just hope that Bibby's jumper does not go cold. If Bibby's jumper does go cold then we need a big scoring night out of Flip and Marvin to pick up the slack.

Hoping for Marvin to be aggressive on offense is like hoping that Acie gets playing time. It's not going to happen. Still, we can hope. however, I think the interesting thing is that Billups can probably shut down Bibs... but who will step up? That's why I mentioned that the game will rest with Joe. I don't think Denver has a defender capable of stopping the joe johnson that took apart Chicago. Joe does something that I wish Most SG wannabes would do.. He doesn't make himself smaller. In fact, he makes himself bigger and uses that 240 lbs without being like Lebron. I swear, Lebron is playing football out there. It's like watching Shaq in his prime dropping a shoulder on people and getting a foul called for him. Joe has the ability to be dominate without going to the line. That's rare.

Hoping for Marvin to be aggressive on offense is like hoping that Acie gets playing time. It's not going to happen. Still, we can hope. however, I think the interesting thing is that Billups can probably shut down Bibs... but who will step up? That's why I mentioned that the game will rest with Joe. I don't think Denver has a defender capable of stopping the joe johnson that took apart Chicago. Joe does something that I wish Most SG wannabes would do.. He doesn't make himself smaller. In fact, he makes himself bigger and uses that 240 lbs without being like Lebron. I swear, Lebron is playing football out there. It's like watching Shaq in his prime dropping a shoulder on people and getting a foul called for him. Joe has the ability to be dominate without going to the line. That's rare.

There is no way you have been watching these games during the homestand. Marvin is playing very aggressive.

I do agree that Billups is going to be a problem for Bibby on D, but who really isnt a problem for bibby on defense. I think Acie should get some burn tonight and try to get Billups tired. Then run Bibby against a tired Billups or the back up PG.

I think we are going to need Smoove to have a big game on the defensive end. Billups gonna try to post up Bibby and we are going to need some weak side help and hope that the Nuggets jump shots dont fall tonight.

I agree that the key to winning this game is how we contain Billups. Melo is going to get his points, MW/JJ just need to make sure Melo has to work hard to get thos points. I wouldn't mind seeing Zaza put a hard foul on Melo to test that sore elbow (ala what Oakly used to do against wounded opponents). If not Z, then Solo or Morris.

The only way that I see the Hawks containing Billups is to switch JJ and Bibby on Chauncy throughout the night. I would even think that putting JJ early on CB just to keep CB frrom getting going might work.

To win we'll need the usual 25+ night from JJ and another 16-20 from Marvin. Smith will have to make the inside a rough place to go and score efficiently around the basket. Horford has to find someway to keep Nene off the offensive boards. One of the FlopMo squad will have to drop ~15 as well.

For Denver to win, Billups just needs to do his thing.

I agree that the key to winning this game is how we contain Billups. Melo is going to get his points, MW/JJ just need to make sure Melo has to work hard to get thos points. I wouldn't mind seeing Zaza put a hard foul on Melo to test that sore elbow (ala what Oakly used to do against wounded opponents). If not Z, then Solo or Morris.

The only way that I see the Hawks containing Billups is to switch JJ and Bibby on Chauncy throughout the night. I would even think that putting JJ early on CB just to keep CB frrom getting going might work.

To win we'll need the usual 25+ night from JJ and another 16-20 from Marvin. Smith will have to make the inside a rough place to go and score efficiently around the basket. Horford has to find someway to keep Nene off the offensive boards. One of the FlopMo squad will have to drop ~15 as well.

For Denver to win, Billups just needs to do his thing.

Good point on switching JJ on Billups.

Melo is definately going to break 20 points. I just hope we make him take a bunch of bad shots and hold his shooting % below 43%.

I LOVE the part about ZaZa giving Melo a hard foul early to test that elbow and shake him up.

The Horford vs. Ne Ne matchup should be fun to watch ! Two bigs with athletic ability !

Since the game is tonight, I would like to hear some thoughts on the matchups...

I think this is a very interesting game.

We have Denver vs. Atlanta.

Denver is on the 2nd night of a back to back.

We are at home currently on a streak that had we hit one JJ FT and played some good ball thereafter, we probably would have an 11 game winning streak... or something close.

They are 20 -11

we are 19 -10

The place where I see the matchup being developed is:

Joe Johnson vs. J.R. Smith.

Joe has been red-hot while over the last few games, Smith has faced:

Chandler - 17 pts, 4 rebs, 1 assist.

Iguadala - 24 pts, 4 rebs, 4 assists.

Roy - 19 pts, 6 rebs, and 3 assists.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Nuggs go to Klieza to play Joe. Joe should have no trouble shooting over Smith or Backing down Balkman.

Another matchup of interest is:

Horf vs. Nene.

Nene is not an offensive focus, but at 6'11" 250.. he's the type of guy that usually gives Horf Problems on the rebound.

Then there's:

Smoove vs. KMart.

I guess at one time, KMart was a mentor to Smoove. Problem is that Kmart has forgot more about post play than Smoove knows. Moreover, tonight we get to see if Smoove is willing to be physical because Kmart will play him physically.

When has Kmart ever been a post player?

I have a feeling this game is going to be and under 90 affair. Woody is going to want to slow this game down to a crawl. Bibby is the key, if he continues to be ON with his outside shot we will pose a real problem for the Nuggets. They are going to put Billups on Joe. Smooth is going to run his man out to the top of the key and we'll isolate Marvin on Melo a lot. When the ball swings Bibby should have plenty of open looks.

They are going to put Billups on Joe. .

I hope so ! We all saw how JJ torched the shorter Ben Gordon last game. At this point in his career Billups defense is very over rated. Plus JJ will wear him out if Billups has to defend him all night. Billups, at 32, simply does not have the gas in his tank to defend an allstar 6'7'' 240 lb SG and run the team on offense.

I see them keeping Billups on Bibby to conserve the gas in Billups tank.

But I hope they make Billups chase JJ around screens, through picks, and be in the middle of many physical post up banging sessions vs. JJ ! That may be enough to take the "Big Shot Billups" name away from his game come crunch time.

However, I'm all for JJ guarding Billups. His length should bother him without JJ having to use up too much energy. Plus, JJ at 27, has proven he can play many more minutes then the current 08 model of Billups at 32.

I hope so ! We all saw how JJ torched the shorter Ben Gordon last game. At this point in his career Billups defense is very over rated. Plus JJ will wear him out if Billups has to defend him all night. Billups, at 32, simply does not have the gas in his tank to defend an allstar 6'7'' 240 lb SG and run the team on offense.

I see them keeping Billups on Bibby to conserve the gas in Billups tank.

But I hope they make Billups chase JJ around screens, through picks, and be in the middle of many physical post up banging sessions vs. JJ ! That may be enough to take the "Big Shot Billups" name away from his game come crunch time.

However, I'm all for JJ guarding Billups. His length should bother him without JJ having to use up too much energy. Plus, JJ at 27, has proven he can play many more minutes then the current 08 model of Billups at 32.

True, I think JJ wins that match up. But, I feel it's their best option. Honestly, Joe has become one the biggest match up problems in the league when he decides to mix up his game like he did Saturday.

Defense and 3 pt shooting have been carrying the hawks all season and they both were huge tonight.

Bibby's 3 pt shooting is getting pretty sick. It is getting to the point where i am surprised if he misses.

Props to Marvin for the D he played on Anthony. It looked like he got in Melo's head. A couple of the fouls they called on Marvin were very dubious.

Smith's dumb turnovers and 3 pt shooting really need to come to an end.

Defense and 3 pt shooting have been carrying the hawks all season and they both were huge tonight.

Bibby's 3 pt shooting is getting pretty sick. It is getting to the point where i am surprised if he misses.

Props to Marvin for the D he played on Anthony. It looked like he got in Melo's head. A couple of the fouls they called on Marvin were very dubious.

Smith's dumb turnovers and 3 pt shooting really need to come to an end.

That was really the only complaint I had with tonight's game. I could understand if Smith was actually decent and/or tried to improve his 3 pt shot over the offseason like Marvin did...he's basically just chunking those rainbow shots up and hoping for the best. He's shooting 20something% from 3, and he should realize that there's a reason why the other teams are letting him take that shot. The turnovers are also getting annoying. I just think that he's doing too much, and he needs to go back to what his role used to be, because he was best before he was trying to shoot 3s and making flashy-yet-unnecessary passes.