• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Absolute pathetic effort tonight in the 2nd half

capstone21

• Admin

I will say the refs were bad tonight...that 'and 1' Harris got was one of the worst calls I have ever saw.

The Nets out rebounded us ...we gave up Way to many offensive rebounds

We can't hit a bloody FTs

Joe was off and taking some bad shots

Bibby missed that important ft

Smith is an absolute MORON on the offensive end. He is so clueless its not funny.

• Admin
Ah, you can complain about a lot of things, but the game was lost at the FT line.

Plain and simple, those missed FT's in the 3rd quarter kept the Nets' momentum going.

I will also mention bad coaching. They were on a run and no timeouts.

Plus no rest at all for the starters tonight.

We deserved to lose that game. Plain and simple.

I dont want to hear about how free throws were the reason we lost. Yes, it was ONE reason we lost...not the only one. We couldnt buy a rebound, played crappy ball after the first half, Woody refused to put Flip back in, Horf looked like utter crap for most of the game, Woody refused to change anything, and we lost a 20 pt lead.

They deserved this one.

There's no arguing that that was a deserved loss. I'm just mad at how it actually happened.

And that's the other thing, why in the hell can't we beat the Nets? The Nets have been bad at home, but I guess it doesn't really matter since we probably couldn't beat them on concrete outside in Bismarck.

Edited by LOL_Hawks

:sad:

I will say the refs were bad tonight...that 'and 1' Harris got was one of the worst calls I have ever saw.

The Nets out rebounded us ...we gave up Way to many offensive rebounds

We can't hit a bloody FTs

Joe was off and taking some bad shots

Bibby missed that important ft

Smith is an absolute MORON on the offensive end. He is so clueless its not funny.

The way I see it, we lost the game for two reasons: 1)Josh Smith and his stupid treys and 2)Mike Woodson for playing JJ & Bibby for too long a stretch without a breather. Why didn't he play Flip tonight? Nets deserved to win- especially after hiting that ridiculous shot at the buzzer! Can't believe we can't beat the Nets!

This is the type of game that can trigger a losing streak. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Hawks get routed tomorrow. We can't beat the Nets. Pathetic.

I've had that in the back of my head . . . . and of course that's what would have happened with the old Hawks. Let's hope it doesn't with the new Hawks.

Vince Carter beats Hawks at OT buzzer

Atlanta blows 20-point halftime lead to end win streak

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Friday, January 02, 2009

East Rutherford, N.J. — A quick glance in the mirror this morning and the Hawks will get an eye-to-eye stare down with the culprit that cost them their six-game winning streak Friday night in New Jersey.

Sure, Vince Carter’s deep 3-pointer at the overtime buzzer capped the Nets’ stunning 93-91 comeback victory over the Hawks.

But the seeds for the home team’s comeback were planted by the Hawks, who played loose with a 20-point halftime lead and got burned by the Nets for the third time this season.

After holding the Nets to only 29 points in the first half, the Hawks had no answer for the Nets’ second-half rush, which included Devin Harris taking over the action in the third quarter.

The Hawks also missed eight of their final 12 free throws, fumbling away every chance they had to regain control of the game in what turned out to be a disappointing first loss of the New Year.

“They just came out and punched us in the face after halftime, and we didn’t respond,” Hawks forward Marvin Williams said. “Being up that big at the half on the road, especially against a team that’s already beaten us twice this year … there’s no excuse and no explanation for something like that.”

The Hawks (21-11) almost slipped out of Izod Center with a win that they worked only half a game to get. Josh Smith converted a layup for a 91-90 lead with 11.4 seconds to play after he and Mo Evans combined for a steal and fast break with the Nets 91-89 with the possession of the ball.

But Carter didn’t squander the Nets’ last chance, even after the inbounds pass from Jarvis Hayes sailed over the half-court line, forcing Carter to chase the ball down and then dribble up the floor before swishing his shot over Smith.

“They played a totally different game in the second half, obviously,” said Smith, who inexplicably did not chase Carter or the ball on that inbounds play that led to the game-winning shot. “They went from not being able to hit a shot to hitting all sorts of shots, and the biggest shot of the game at the end.

“But they also pounded us on the boards [52-42] and they got some clutch second-chance points when they needed them.”

Both teams had chances to win the game in regulation and both of them came up short.

Joe Johnson’s baseline fadeaway jumper in the final seconds never made it to the rim, and the Hawks suffered a shot-clock violation with 3.6 seconds to play.

The Nets’ chance to finish the game ended with Carter’s jumper bouncing off the rim at the buzzer.

How the game even got to that point is the question the Hawks will struggle with today, though they’ll need to get over it quickly with Houston up next tonight at Philips Arena.

The Nets outscored the Hawks 32-20 in the third quarter to get back into the mix, using every bit of energy Harris (26 points and 11 assists), Carter (18 points) and their friends could muster to come back.

“They just came back and took it,” Johnson said. “The first half they were just cold, but the second half they came out and just took the game back. And it should have never even have come down to that. Plain and simple we just lost this game.”

Just how stifling was the Hawks’ defense in the first half? They smothered the Nets for an 11-minute and 24 second-stretch that spanned two quarters, allowing two points during that span as they took a 49-29 lead at halftime.

But they couldn’t finish the deal, allowing the Nets to snap a four-game losing streak on their own floor while snapping the Hawks’ road winning streak at just two games.

“If you’re one of the top teams in the East you have to be able to finish a game like this,” Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. “You have to make your free throws and you have to finish.”

Smith, who inexplicably did not chase Carter or the ball on that inbounds play that led to the game-winning shot.

glad this was noticed. didn't really feel like complaining about a shot made from 6 ft behind the 3 point line, but after Marvin got a hand on that pass Smith missed a golden opportunity to guarantee a bad shot.

Smith- had a good game. of course he had some bone headed plays but thats smith for ya. didn't hurt us this game. i wouldn't call him a moron.

Bibby- decent night but missed a huge ft.

JJ- was off. bad shots, foul trouble

Marvin- Quiet tonight

horford/zaza- i think we played better with horford on the bench plus zaza missed 4 strait FTs.

Mo- had one good play the hole game.

cant win em all.

I will also mention bad coaching. They were on a run and no timeouts.

Plus no rest at all for the starters tonight.

Bad coaching = the play call at the end of the regulation. Bibby sets a pick for JJ. Your smallest man screening to create room.

He fails to really hamper his man at all and the obvious result is a double team that collapses on Joe. The thing to do is to reverse the ball to Bibby for the open jumper. Whether Joe is just a ball hog or whether he was told that shot was his to take is debatable.

Either way, someone needed to point out to Joe to expect the double immediately coming off the pick so he could compensate (or someone needed to realize that you should bring a frontcourt player out to set the pick). The exact opposite happened, he was caught off guard, second guessed his shot, and ended up having it blocked.

Just one instance of many that displayed bad coaching/poor execution and I missed most of the game.

Smith, who inexplicably did not chase Carter or the ball on that inbounds play that led to the game-winning shot.

glad this was noticed. didn't really feel like complaining about a shot made from 6 ft behind the 3 point line, but after Marvin got a hand on that pass Smith missed a golden opportunity to guarantee a bad shot.

Yeah DC...I was amazed that JS just stayed back and gave VC the shot a few feet outside the line. They are all pros and should know (especially after watching Joe make bombs)...that a guy like Vince can hit an open shot a few feet beyond his normal range. Still, even though JS should have chased - he is our PF and pretty much did what a PF is expected to do. We have to deal with double teams constantly late in games against our best player...so why not do the same to them? VC is kinda the equivalent of JJ on our team...a 2/3 who can make things happen. In the play before the OT they hounded JJ with an immediate double, yet in the last play (when we were ahead and could have won) we let their best player get off an uncontested three from only a step or so out of normal three point range?? (really - if you look at the replay it wasn't a half-court bomb).......I put the game ending loss on Woody. Woody didn't miss free throws or anything - but a coach needs to have better contigency plans than that. Everybody knew VC was coming off an inside screen about three seconds into the 5 seconds allowed to inbounds the ball. Seeing VC posing after his big shot was embarrassing. He never should have been allowed to take an uncontested three - tipped ball or not. JMHO.

Edited by DJlaysitup

Im glad some people are saying what should have been said in the chat. We did so many things bad in the second half it would do them a disservice to just speak on one.

Agreed t-s. That second half was a bit of a joke. Anybody blaming anybody for jacking up perimeter shots needs to look at what the whole team was doing. It was getting laughable for awhile. Our inside guys get a rebound and all we do at the other end of the court is jack a three. Little ball movement and we didn't even work the clock well. Honestly if I were Horford or Zaza I would think "why do I do all this work just to see JJ and Bibby jack up shots"? I can't blame JS much - at least he gets rebounds and intimidates on D before he jacks his threes. Woddy's gameplan should be named D3 (play D and jack the threes). :mad:

P.S. - I only watched the second half so maybe we were passing the ball early? I did note that they only shot 33% in the first half so that could have been from our D or from them just missing shots. ??

Edited by DJlaysitup

... Bibby sets a pick for JJ. Your smallest man screening to create room.

He fails to really hamper his man at all and the obvious result is a double team that collapses on Joe. The thing to do is to reverse the ball to Bibby for the open jumper. Whether Joe is just a ball hog or whether he was told that shot was his to take is debatable.

Either way, someone needed to point out to Joe to expect the double immediately coming off the pick so he could compensate...

Well if he hasn't figured it out by now he is dense....I think the former is likely correct. Soooooeeeey.

I blame Woody. How about running a dam zone in the second half WHEN THEY WERE KNOCKING DOWN THE 3 POINT SHOT!!!!

When that lead got down to 14. He shouldve went man to man. The Zone doesn't work when they are moving the ball and knocking down the jump shot.

I blame Woody. How come he didnt tell his players right out of halftime. " Attack the dam basket, thats what worked in the 1st half. Stick with it."

We came out firing 3 after 3. s*** no wonder Smoove shot one. Everyone else was missing.

I blame Woody. He just ran the starters the whole second half. Shouldve put Flip in or Murrary. Zaza shouldve started the second half.

He shouldve made the startes spend the night at the dam FT Line. That was a terrible display of FT shooting by professionals. I couldve went out there and missed FTs.

I blame Woody. Final possession of regulation. TAKE A TIMEOUT!!! What are you saving it for stupid??? Draw up a play the best you can Woody(ISO JOE) at least we can get a decent shot. JJ held and just dribbled the dam ball and took the worst shot ever.

I blame Woody. IF your dam star is cold. TELL HIM HE IS COLD and create for others. JJ shouldve been going in the paint going for high percentage shot.

It never fails. Whatever is working we never stick with it, unless its the 3 pt shot or JJs outrageous jumpers. I swear went into the locker room and told the team. Forget about the 1st half. This is what we are going to do in the second half.

• Premium Member
Yeah DC...I was amazed that JS just stayed back and gave VC the shot a few feet outside the line. They are all pros and should know (especially after watching Joe make bombs)...that a guy like Vince can hit an open shot a few feet beyond his normal range. Still, even though JS should have chased - he is our PF and pretty much did what a PF is expected to do. We have to deal with double teams constantly late in games against our best player...so why not do the same to them? VC is kinda the equivalent of JJ on our team...a 2/3 who can make things happen. In the play before the OT they hounded JJ with an immediate double, yet in the last play (when we were ahead and could have won) we let their best player get off an uncontested three from only a step or so out of normal three point range?? (really - if you look at the replay it wasn't a half-court bomb).......I put the game ending loss on Woody. Woody didn't miss free throws or anything - but a coach needs to have better contigency plans than that. Everybody knew VC was coming off an inside screen about three seconds into the 5 seconds allowed to inbounds the ball. Seeing VC posing after his big shot was embarrassing. He never should have been allowed to take an uncontested three - tipped ball or not. JMHO.

I have to disagree with you DJ.

My feeling is that you give Vince that shot. Hell, there were 2 whole seconds left on the clock when he let it go. From all perspectives, it looked like Vince was going to drive and look for the foul. That's the reason why Smoove gave him all kinds of room out there... His job was to stay in front of him and make the shot hard. Well, VC shocked everybody and made a JJ like shot at the end of the game. You can't do anything but congratulate him for that.

The problems come when we start to realize why we lost the lead... That can only be explained by low BBIQ. We let them bait us into a 3 pt shooting contest. It did not help us.

Once again, Marvin Williams didn't come out for the second half... Well, I take that back.. he did get one of his layup attempts REJECTED... If you go up strong with 2 hands, you should either score or get fouled.

JJ and Bibby just needed to be benched for a few minutes when they went crazy on the three point shooting game they were playing. I actually wanted to see FLip on the floor. Really... I did. I knew that had we subed Flip for JJ, Flip would have taken the ball to the hole... which is what we should have been doing.

this was a complete team loss, they had a 20 pt lead and they blew it. the best thing to do is learn from it and practice to make sure this doesn't happen again. the good news is that we had enough wins in the bank to absorb a catastrophe like the one that happened last night. this isn't on woody, JJ, Bibby, or Mario West, this was on the team. nobody did what was necessary to go home with a win.

i'm guessing the team is gonna do extra free throw and suicide drills today before the game.