• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Childress to return to NBA next year

CBAreject

we would have the rights to josh childress for the next 2 offseasons. but he really didn't sound like he was ready to stay in greece for the next two years. especially after the rioting that happened there. if he wanted to come to the NBA he would have to either

A) find a SnT partner (which is hard because sund isn't going to add salary to bring in scrub players)

or

B) accept a MLE-type deal (i doubt that he increased his value by going overseas).

[...]Nenad Krstic said as much when he left Moscow after a half-season to join the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Think about it -- he's leaving one of the most lavish, winning teams in all of Europe, based in one of its most cosmopolitan cities, to join the NBA's losingest team in one of its least sophisticated cities. And, by all accounts, it's a dream come true[...]

So Triumph is one of the most lavish and winning teams in all of Europe? They were founded in 2007, have a 3,500 seats arena, finished 4th (out of 12) last year in Russia, do not play in the Euroleague, do not play in the EuroCup and are currently 3-6 in Russia & 2-2 in the EuroChallenge. Do these writers ever check their facts when trying to make a point?

• Premium Member

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Childress returns this year.

He'd take a loss financially (he'd have to payoff the rest of this contract to Olympiacos), but there are teams out there who still have their MLE and could use him in the playoffs.

Matching on his contract would push the Hawks into the luxury tax...

Edit: After looking at realgm.com's listing of teams with the full MLE remaining, only the Lakers, Blazers, and Jazz have a shot at the playoffs. Utah is the only team that would not have to go into/further into the luxury tax to sign him.

Edited by mrhonline

Childress

I'm sure this is speculation at this point, but if Childress does return, does anyone know if we have any rights to him? My suspicion is that we do not. I don't think that's really fair, and I'd hate to see Chill play for a rival.

There are multiple kinds of rights you can have in the NBA, so you need to be more specific because there are 2 kinds of rights that the Hawks hold. First, they hold Childress' Bird Rights, meaning the Hawks can offer him a 6 year deal with 10.5% raises and go any amount over the salary cap in order to sign him. That probably isn't the right you were talking about.

We still do have the right of first refusal for Childress (meaning he is still a restricted free agent), much like the situation that Kristic was in. This will continue for each year so long as we continue to offer Childress a qualifying offer (and maybe even if we don't, but to be safe let's ignore that scenario) at the beginning of the offseason. The qualifying offer does count against our cap space, but it doesn't affect the Luxury Tax. This is probably the right you were talking about.

A third possibility is the right to negotiate the first NBA contract, a la the rights we hold to David Andersen because we drafted him. Drafting someone only allows you exclusive rights to negotiate the first contract, subsequent contracts are not bound by this. Childress has completed his first contract and now is free to negotiate with anyone in the NBA. This right always gets confused into the Childress situation, so I really have no idea if you were or weren't talking about this right.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Childress returns this year.

He'd take a loss financially (he'd have to payoff the rest of this contract to Olympiacos), but there are teams out there who still have their MLE and could use him in the playoffs.

Matching on his contract would push the Hawks into the luxury tax...

Edit: After looking at realgm.com's listing of teams with the full MLE remaining, only the Lakers, Blazers, and Jazz have a shot at the playoffs. Utah is the only team that would have to go into/further into the luxury tax to sign him.

I was thinking the same thing about him possibly returning this year but to us. I may be wrong but I seem to remember something about if Speedy doesn't play this year that his salary for this year will be covered by insurance and that wouldn't count towards our cap or luxury tax dollars. If that is the case then we could use that money which we're almost certain to get to sign Childress. I suppose it's a risk in that if Speedy doesn't retire then we end up paying into the luxury tax a little but I think it would be worth it. I expect that he'd quickly become acclimated to our system again and he'd allow Evans to spend more time guarding 2's.

On the other hand if we could trade him to the Lakers, Blazers, or Jazz then I'd happily do so for a 1st rounder in next years draft or a player from their roster that could help us. One that immediately comes to mind is Kosta Koufos from the Jazz. He was their late 1st rounder this year that looks to have some serious NBA potential and he's a legit big (7' 265 lbs) that blocks shots and can score in the paint. Right now he's averaging 5 points, 3 boards, and a block in 13 minutes per. Certainly not overwhelming numbers but when he has started he's been very impressive.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4485

• Premium Member

I think the most important thing is that Chillz is still a rFA. That gives us a little say in what he does next (especially if he's coming back in the offseason). My thought however is what if he decides to wait us out. Meaning that because we have FAs we would like to sign and his cap hold is still on the books, he could decide to just wait until we renounce him. Again, my suggestion (weather you like him or not).. is to sign or sign and trade Chillz quickly so that we can move on to other free agents and not have Chillz be a total loss.

• Premium Member
Again, my suggestion (weather you like him or not).. is to sign or sign and trade Chillz quickly so that we can move on to other free agents and not have Chillz be a total loss.

I definitely agree with that.

But as long as the Hawks plan on re-signing Marvin and Bibby, there will be no cap space.

I'd like to resign Childress. I remember he seemed to be frustrated with the Hawks in part because he had a chance to do a sign-and-trade to a contender, which was something he was interested in; and I remember Sund saying on the radio, in reference to Childress, that you don't sign a role player to go over the salary cap unless you think you have a legit shot to contend.

To me, though, it now looks like the Hawks are a legit contender to at least make the second round of the playoffs, and Childress could be a guy who solidifies us as a perennial top-4 seed in the East for the next couple of years. In fact, we're already sitting in the no. 4 spot right now, but I believe adding Childress would put us on equal footing with Orlando for the next couple of years, and might allow us to move past Boston (getting old) or Cleveland (screwed if Lebron leaves or gets injured) sometime in the future. I'm also fairly certain we couldn't sign a better free agent given our cap situation, and Childress already knows the system and has chemistry with the team, so I'd like to give it a try.

Childress is still pretty young so I guess we could use him if we can afford him.

But the way Flip and Mo have played, I don't think we necessarily need that position. And I used to hate how Childress stole minutes from Marvin. I think we may be better off trading him if we can.

We don't need depth at the 2/3. We could use it at the 4/5 though.

I think the most important thing is that Chillz is still a rFA. That gives us a little say in what he does next (especially if he's coming back in the offseason). My thought however is what if he decides to wait us out. Meaning that because we have FAs we would like to sign and his cap hold is still on the books, he could decide to just wait until we renounce him. Again, my suggestion (weather you like him or not).. is to sign or sign and trade Chillz quickly so that we can move on to other free agents and not have Chillz be a total loss.

Yeah, Chil can hold us hostage if he wants to. I agree that this summer, like last summer, we should SnT Chil early in the process. If thats our strategy though, the complication is the other team. For one, what of value is Chil going to bring in? I don't know what kind of SnT offers we got for him last offseason but we don't want to be taking on a mediocre player with a heavy contract and a mid-second round pick just so we can say we "got something out of Childress after all." Also, what does the other team have to gain in doing the SnT early?

If he returned next year he would have to eat some crow, but the whole the has to be humbling for him in a way. I think he'd be a good trading chip, especially to a wests coast team.

Why would he "eat some crow". The Hawks dropped the ball. Chilz went and gets highly (more) paid. He comes back and backs at least as big a contract offered last summer.

Question, If after this Greece season ends can Chillz accept the qualifying contract and play This season?

I would love to see him back This year.

• Moderators
Question, If after this Greece season ends can Chillz accept the qualifying contract and play This season?

I would love to see him back This year.

According to Larry Coon's FAQ, Childress has until March 1, 2009 to accept the qualifying offer unless the Hawks set an earlier deadline for acceptance. The Hawks can set a date between 10/1/08 and 3/1/09 for Childress to accept.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q36

• Premium Member
I definitely agree with that.

But as long as the Hawks plan on re-signing Marvin and Bibby, there will be no cap space.

When Marvin, Bibs, and Zaza comes off the books this offseason, you're talking about:

~24-25 Million dollars.

I figure:

Bibs = 8 Million.

Marvin = 6.3 Million.

Chillz = 6 Million.

There's still money left over to sign First rounder, Zaza, and Flip... And of course, I didn't consider Flip's numbers coming off the books either.

I would still rather trade Marvin/Speedy for GForce and Hollins.

According to Larry Coon's FAQ, Childress has until March 1, 2009 to accept the qualifying offer unless the Hawks set an earlier deadline for acceptance. The Hawks can set a date between 10/1/08 and 3/1/09 for Childress to accept.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q36

More than likely Sund had the deadline for acceptance on 10/1/08. For sure he wouldn't put the deadline past the start of the season, there really is no reason for that.

So while its possible, it certainly isn't probable.

• Moderators
More than likely Sund had the deadline for acceptance on 10/1/08. For sure he wouldn't put the deadline past the start of the season, there really is no reason for that.

So while its possible, it certainly isn't probable.

I agree. I would set the deadline on 10/1/08, personally. I just don't have any facts either way.