• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons Draft Thread

coachx

What do you guys think the Falcons should target in the draft ? I believe we have all of our normal picks. Not sure if we have any extra picks or not.

We pick #25 in the 1st round and subsequent rounds.

Looks like the Falcons are definately targeting a TE at the Senior Bowl !

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...ttigrew_on.html

The thing is.........at pick 25 you basically take the guy who falls to you. Hard to say I'm taking this position no matter what when picking #25, you may have a general idea that atleast one in this group of 5 guys should still be there but you never know. (Unlike picking #3 last season.)

Position needs:

1. DT - Big Grady Jackson can't play forever and even when healthy misses half the snaps. Babbineaux is solid and plays alot of downs but a little undersized. Our run defense was our achilles hill.

2. TE - Matt Ryan would love to have a passing threat at TE.........he made Peele look pretty good at times this year. That is the only missing piece in the offense.

3. SS - Milloy is 35 and solid vs. the run but a liability vs. the pass. When you draw the #1 passing team in the league in the Cardinals for the playoffs a SS who can't pass cover is tough to swallow. I'm not sure if the 2nd round safety we drafted from California last year (DeCoud) can play SS or not or if Chevis Jackson can switch to safety. Maybe we can get a you stud here in the 2nd or 3rd round or in free agency. Best case scenerio is for DeCoud tp take over the SS job but we have seen little of him to have faith in that.

4. DE - J. Anderson is solid against the run but has no pass rush off the edge. Maybe he should gain 15 pounds and move over to DT. He is only 22. The backup DE's are solid but not starter worthy. A pass rushing guy who could possibly start would be nice to have......at the very least Abraham could show him the tricks of the trade. We could go after Peppers in FA here too.

5. OLB - I think we are set at MLB with Lofton. Boley was dissapointing last year and Brooking is a shell of his former self but still a good team captain. If we lose Milloy maybe we need Brooking's veteran leadership ? They both seemed like the team captains of the defense and good locker room guys. Replacing both captains with rookies woud be tough...............if both Brooking and Milloy are replaced maybe a younger veteran free agent is the way to go with one of those 2 positions. An upgrade would be nice here at OLB but a better front 4 would make them look better. The position could sky rocket up the needs lift if Boley is not resigned and Brooking is cut.

I am excited to see what Dimitrioff pulls off !

What do you guys want to target in the draft ?

Edited by coachx

I agree with many of your points... Here's what I would love to see happen...

DT... Move Jamal Anderson to DT and pick up Peppers in FA... I know it's alot of money, but to have Abe and Peppers, come on...

LB... Bye Brooking... He's been great, but it's time... Draft LB

SS... Get Sean Jones out of Cleveland and bring him home.... Van Gorder knows all about him...

TE... Don't forget we have Milner who was injured last year, but go get Leonard Pope out of AZ... He's underutilized in that system... The guy is a giant!

As I stated earlier, draft LB and DB.... If we don't get Peppers, get Aso out of Oakland... At least that would shore up the secondary....

I forgot to mention Haynesworth as a FA option to fill out the DT position. Plus Trey Lewis in coming off knee surgery and is 320. If healthy he is a nice 3rd DT to have in the rotation.

I'm not sure about Haynesworth... He's an incredible presence inside, but he has a few character flaws.... That's what gets you shipped out of Atlanta, remember...

• Premium Member

I keep hearing that we are going to get Julius Peppers. I don't know.. this guy is a physical specimen and maybe our guys can work with him and inspire him.

If we do get Peppers... then I think our most pressing need is ???

OLB or TE or Secondary...

I would like to see us get an experience CB in FAcy... Like Dunta Robinson. Then in the draft, I would like to see us go big with any of the USC LBs... And maybe the tight end out of Either OK St or Dude from UVa.

I think there's a possibility that we can get Dansby if Arizona elects to keep Boldin.

I'm not sure about Haynesworth... He's an incredible presence inside, but he has a few character flaws.... That's what gets you shipped out of Atlanta, remember...

Character flaws and double felony convictions with numerous out of court settlements for spreading herpes is like comparing a vegan restaurant with a steakhouse, right ?

I do agree he has some character flaws (stepped on dudes face in a dog pile). However, I like my DT's big and mean...........as long as they stay out of jail...........does he have some legal issues I know nothing about ? Also didn't Mike Smith coach him in Jacksonville ? There may be a good relationship between the player / coach which carries alot of weight.

With the draft being weak for QB's maybe we can actually get a 4th or 5th round pick or at least something for #7 ?

Edited by coachx

http://football.realgm.com/src_encroachmen...s_from_tuesday/

These articles really differ based on the writer and who was watching what player at what time.

The AJC said Massaquoi was not catching the ball well and getting little attention from scouts....(Maybe he is a Tech fan/ UGA hater since he lives in Atlanta.) Also realgm did not even mention the Okl State TE the Falcons met with.

Meanwhile, look what realgm (no homer UGA love from realgm) reported about Massaquoi in the above thread:

"Georgia WR Mohammad Massaquoi is making himself some $$. He separated well and snatched the ball from the air, showing an extra gear to chase down a long throw."

Also look what was written about the "Cover 2 Defense" the Falcons were forced to run based on their personell:

"The cover-2 is all but dead as a base defense. You’re still going to see it when teams have a lead, or when their corners are (crap). But you cannot sit back and let offenses pick you apart when they know where everyone is going to be. Our practice squad QB can pick apart cover 2.”

Edited by coachx

I forgot to mention Haynesworth as a FA option to fill out the DT position. Plus Trey Lewis in coming off knee surgery and is 320. If healthy he is a nice 3rd DT to have in the rotation.

Don't see Blank signing off on Haynesworth.

Are the Panthers gonna let Peppers go?

Can JA2 play tackle any better than he can play end?

I think that our most pressing need right now is at CB. I think we desperately need a starting caliber veteran corner. I know Oakland will probably chise' him, but we should see what we can do to get Asomugha.

If we don't use our first pick trying to pry away an established star, I'd like to see us go after the most talented DT/LB/OT on the board. I don't think that OL is a super-pressing issue but if we could snag a guy like Mike Oher with a late first, I'd probably pull the trigger unless an even better talent had slipped further.

I wouldn't mind keeping the aging 3 defenders on the team if they were willing to take pay cuts. Brooking really does look done but Milloy and Jackson are still functional. Actually, to my suprise, Jackson has aged pretty well for a guy that fat.

Character flaws and double felony convictions with numerous out of court settlements for spreading herpes is like comparing a vegan restaurant with a steakhouse, right ?

I do agree he has some character flaws (stepped on dudes face in a dog pile). However, I like my DT's big and mean...........as long as they stay out of jail...........does he have some legal issues I know nothing about ? Also didn't Mike Smith coach him in Jacksonville ? There may be a good relationship between the player / coach which carries alot of weight.

With the draft being weak for QB's maybe we can actually get a 4th or 5th round pick or at least something for #7 ?

I wasn't talking about our old QB... More like Hall and Crumpler with their huge egos... I, too, like DT's big and mean, but to a certain extent... And Mike Smith coached Henderson and Stroud in Jax, not Haynesworth... As far as filling that DT void, that can and most likely will happen through the draft...

Don't see Blank signing off on Haynesworth.

Are the Panthers gonna let Peppers go?

Can JA2 play tackle any better than he can play end?

I think that our most pressing need right now is at CB. I think we desperately need a starting caliber veteran corner. I know Oakland will probably chise' him, but we should see what we can do to get Asomugha.

If we don't use our first pick trying to pry away an established star, I'd like to see us go after the most talented DT/LB/OT on the board. I don't think that OL is a super-pressing issue but if we could snag a guy like Mike Oher with a late first, I'd probably pull the trigger unless an even better talent had slipped further.

I wouldn't mind keeping the aging 3 defenders on the team if they were willing to take pay cuts. Brooking really does look done but Milloy and Jackson are still functional. Actually, to my suprise, Jackson has aged pretty well for a guy that fat.

From what I hear, Julius wants out of Carolina... Jamal has always been better at stopping the run than rushing the QB, so the move to DT "could" help... If Oakland really wants a pissed off Aso, they would franchise him... I just don't see that happening, again... Jackson has been helped by the fact that he is rotated out a lot... Milloy is a great competitor, but I think we can do better with Sean Jones...

I wasn't talking about our old QB... More like Hall and Crumpler with their huge egos... I, too, like DT's big and mean, but to a certain extent... And Mike Smith coached Henderson and Stroud in Jax, not Haynesworth... As far as filling that DT void, that can and most likely will happen through the draft...

The #7 at the end of your post made me think your refering to the player who wore #7.

I can't remember but do the Falcons run a 3-4? From what I've heard Peppers wants to go to a team that runs the 3-4 as it's base defense. I imagine that he sees himself as a Joey Porter type who can line up at LB or DE depending on the situation. If he wants to be the other DE in a 3-4 then I think he'll have trouble since those guys don't usually get big contracts like what I imagine he wants since all they do is eat up lineman and don't usually get many tackles or sacks.

For me, I wouldn't use anything above a 3rd or 4th round choice on a TE. The Falcons offense was 6th in the league with a rookie qb last season. So if we get moderate improvement out of Ryan, we'll be a top of the league offense with the pieces we currently have. Also, I don't want 4 or 5 million a year (what it would cost to get a Tony G, Winslow type) via trade locked into a position that all we really need is a old school Bubba Franks type. Someone who can catch 3rd and short or goalline balls.

Obviously it depends on who falls but these would be my first round targets (assuming Dimitrioff doesn't trade down to stockpile picks):

Vontae Davis, CB Clemson

William Moore, S Missouri

B.J. Raji, DT Boston College

Clint Sintim, OLB Virginia

I can't remember but do the Falcons run a 3-4? From what I've heard Peppers wants to go to a team that runs the 3-4 as it's base defense. I imagine that he sees himself as a Joey Porter type who can line up at LB or DE depending on the situation. If he wants to be the other DE in a 3-4 then I think he'll have trouble since those guys don't usually get big contracts like what I imagine he wants since all they do is eat up lineman and don't usually get many tackles or sacks.

They ran a 3-4 a few years back when Wade Phillips was Def Co.

Now they are 4-3. Good point. I remember hearing Peppers wanted out of Carolina b/c a 3-4 would allow him to max out his potential (in his mind). So Peppers is probably not an option for the Falcons.

Whats the word on the Dolphins drafts needs? Any interest in Pat White running the Wild Cat Offense with a passing threat added to it for 1/3 of the game to keep defenses off balance ?

I have heard there is some intrigue around the league about using Pat White in that way from Mortenson on ESPN radio.

They ran a 3-4 a few years back when Wade Phillips was Def Co.

Now they are 4-3. Good point. I remember hearing Peppers wanted out of Carolina b/c a 3-4 would allow him to max out his potential (in his mind). So Peppers is probably not an option for the Falcons.

Whats the word on the Dolphins drafts needs? Any interest in Pat White running the Wild Cat Offense with a passing threat added to it for 1/3 of the game to keep defenses off balance ?

I have heard there is some intrigue around the league about using Pat White in that way from Mortenson on ESPN radio.

I haven't heard anything about us being interested in Pat White but you never know. I don't think we're in a position this year to take a "gimmick" player because we have LOTS of draft needs. In no particular order:

Number 1 WR with size

CB and Safety (1 starting caliber player each)

OLB (although I've heard that Peppers could be a Dolphin if he isn't franchised and there's a rumor that Merriman could be had for a 2nd rounder)

NT - this is a big need, to find a 3-4 NT to eat up space

DE - this could be dependent on what happens with Peppers and whether Vonnie Holliday is brought back. The Dolphins just signed the top DE from the CFL Cameron Wake so this might not be a position of need anymore either.

I agree with many of your points... Here's what I would love to see happen...

DT... Move Jamal Anderson to DT and pick up Peppers in FA... I know it's alot of money, but to have Abe and Peppers, come on...

LB... Bye Brooking... He's been great, but it's time... Draft LB

SS... Get Sean Jones out of Cleveland and bring him home.... Van Gorder knows all about him...

TE... Don't forget we have Milner who was injured last year, but go get Leonard Pope out of AZ... He's underutilized in that system... The guy is a giant!

As I stated earlier, draft LB and DB.... If we don't get Peppers, get Aso out of Oakland... At least that would shore up the secondary....

Milner was cut a long time ago,before the season even started. He as signed to the Giants practice squad,don't know if he's still there though.

Milner was cut a long time ago,before the season even started. He as signed to the Giants practice squad,don't know if he's still there though.

Beyond that he had horrible hands.

In terms of this draft I would love to see the Falcons use the top 3 picks on a

Safety

OLB

DE

I think the corners would be much better with some pressure on the qb. Considering how little pressure the Falcons generated, Houston and Foxworth did a fine job. You get a bookend DE helping Abe, and all of a sudden the cbs start looking much better.

I would like to see a DT, but there was an interesting study done on DTs. The moral of the story is that it takes about 3-4 years for a DT to mature into the NFL. Getting a DT in the 3rd then makes some sense and let him develop. Safety and OLB then become positions to really look for in rounds 1 and 2.

That all said, if that TE from OK State is there at 25 (and he won't be) then you have to take him. Even though I would like to see the defense get a serious infusion of talent, if there is a RT that is graded better than any of the defensive players, then TD should take him. I like Clabo, but Dahl really isn't that good.

The areas that I don't see as need for the team:

QB

RB

FB

WR

LT

LG

K

P

High need:

OLB X 2

SS

DE

DT

Need:

RT

C

TE

Probably in that order. Though you get one OLB then SS or DE needs to be next.

I think we will go offensive line in the first again. Remember where Dimitroff is from. NE hardly ever goes skill position in the first round. Matter of fact wouldn't be shocked if we traded out of the first round.

There may be some wisdom in that given how we got both quality and quanity last year. I'd be surprised if we didnt take a DB pretty high. It's nice to know that we don't have needs at every position for a change.

From Pro Football Weekly . . . . . . All defense?

Atlanta Falcons

SS — The Falcons are expected to replace veteran Lawyer Milloy, who will be an unrestricted free agent this winter. Milloy was a liability in pass coverage and Atlanta will look to get younger, faster at the position.

DT — GM Thomas Dimitroff will be shopping for a bulky nose tackle to plug into the D-line to help Atlanta improve its mediocre run defense.

DE — DLE Jamaal Anderson hasn’t gotten the job done as a pass rusher. The Falcons need to find a more capable complement for DRE John Abraham.