Reminiscing

benhillboy

I'm new here. Just wanted to get some poster histories on watching the Hawks. What's your best and worst memories of the Hawks? Anybody remember when 'Nique used to lag around the backcourt and wait for Mookie to steal? He'd recieve the pass, all alone, and brisk walk in the paint, only to windmill, basically flatfooted? Kinda like a George Jefferson walk, then boom. Crazy. I will never forget that guy once double-pumping backwards, in traffic from that little black block that used to be on the side of the paint. I swore he was on steroids, hard. We'll never see a dunker as passionate as him, ever. Vince, Mike, Josh, Julius. None hold a candle, although Jason Rich did admirable impressions for a few years.

My lowest memories are all the years that Shareef led the team. I did not like that guy. At all. How bout yall?

Edited by benhillboy

Worst memory: Easily 03-04 when we picked up Sura and he goes J-Kidd and drops 3 consecutive triple doubles, leading us to a few too many worthless wins and stealing any chances we had at getting Dwight. Then he subsequently gets hurt for the rest of his career after receiving a big contract. We essentially gave away Dwight to validate Sura's contract year.

Best: I'll go with the recent Celtics series just because I hadn't seen a competitive Hawks team in 10 years and it was great to get some recognition once again. There were of course many great memories in the 80s and 90s.

While only being 18 I have quite a few bad memories than good ones but any day as a Hawk is a good day in my book. My best memory has to be last years playoffs and this whole season so far as well as Josh Smith winning the dunk contest.

My worst memory has to be the 13-69 season. It had to be the darkest hour in the history of the Atlanta Hawks but I still supported the team fully. Trading Jason Terry for pretty much nothing was also a tough thing for me to deal with as he was my favorite player on those past teams.

1999-2000 was definitely the worst for me. We broke up a successful team and you knew it was absolutely going to fail. You didn't know it was going take ten years to turn around, but anyone following the team at that point knew things were going absolutely in the wrong direction.

Steve Smith for Jim Jackson and Isaiah Rider? We decided to pair Isaiah Rider with one of the great humanitarians in the NBA in Dikembe Mutombo. Before that, the team had a very solid reputation of doing good works in the community. Then we traded Mookie for basically nothing-ended up being Jason Terry and obviously didn't work out for us.

Then we gave a ton of money to Alan Henderson. And yes, we seriously signed a 31 year old Bimbo Coles to be our starting point guard as the mentor to young Jason Terry.

I really liked the group we had up until that point. All they were missing was a long, athletic wing who could be a slasher/shooter, and they would have been competing for a championship. We'd been in the playoffs practically every year going back into the mid 80s...then we became the laughingstock of the NBA for ten years.

MY worst memories are of all the losing in the late 90's when the team was absolutely pathetic. One solitary bad memory though is when Dominique tore his achilles. I remember how quiet the old Omni got and the announcers saying how they heard the distinct gunshot sounding pop before he went down.

Best memory has to be Smoove winning the dunk contest with his tributes to Dominique; followed closely by last years playoff series with Boston eventhough we didn't win the competition was great and I was there to see Powe get his ankles, hip and pride broke by Joe

• Premium Member
1999-2000 was definitely the worst for me. We broke up a successful team and you knew it was absolutely going to fail. You didn't know it was going take ten years to turn around, but anyone following the team at that point knew things were going absolutely in the wrong direction.

Steve Smith for Jim Jackson and Isaiah Rider? We decided to pair Isaiah Rider with one of the great humanitarians in the NBA in Dikembe Mutombo. Before that, the team had a very solid reputation of doing good works in the community. Then we traded Mookie for basically nothing-ended up being Jason Terry and obviously didn't work out for us.

Then we gave a ton of money to Alan Henderson. And yes, we seriously signed a 31 year old Bimbo Coles to be our starting point guard as the mentor to young Jason Terry.

I really liked the group we had up until that point. All they were missing was a long, athletic wing who could be a slasher/shooter, and they would have been competing for a championship. We'd been in the playoffs practically every year going back into the mid 80s...then we became the laughingstock of the NBA for ten years.

I have to cosign right here....

The worst was watching Smitty and Deke go on to the championship games. And Smitty was a beast in PTL. I remember him and Pippen shutting down Kobe in the playoffs.

^^^This....

Carpe Diem. This thread could easily be just the "worst" memories as a Hawks fan over the past decade and beyond. Actually, except for the ones mentioned above, nothing good has happened. When positives are a player on our team winning a dunk contest or making the playoffs, and losing in the first round is good, or one crossover by our stud...if these are the highlights, it shows the state the Hawks have BEEN in. I want to forget. So...all I can look to is the here and now, the present. This season.

High - Beating Miami on Dec. 12th after the Texas three debacle. We were reeling, then beat Miami, that propelled us to beat Cleveland. That Miami win stayed the course. Pivotal.

Low - Horf and Marv injured right now. We need key guys healthy.

I agree with everything here, especially the bold. The trade of Nique was really bad, but that Rider move was simply horrible. I don't like guys like Rider. Luckily, I was in Connecticut at the time and I didn't have the ability to watch that team.

One of the best moments not mentioned here is that game 7 vs. Boston when Bird and Nique went toe to toe, basket to basket. It was horrible in the end since the Hawks lost, but man that 4th quarter was one of THE GREATEST 4th's in NBA history. Watch it on ESPN Classic if you have a chance.

I agree with everything here, especially the bold. The trade of Nique was really bad, but that Rider move was simply horrible. I don't like guys like Rider. Luckily, I was in Connecticut at the time and I didn't have the ability to watch that team.

One of the best moments not mentioned here is that game 7 vs. Boston when Bird and Nique went toe to toe, basket to basket. It was horrible in the end since the Hawks lost, but man that 4th quarter was one of THE GREATEST 4th's in NBA history. Watch it on ESPN Classic if you have a chance.

I got that whole series recorded and Game 7 gets most of the publicity. The great thing about that 88 series was when we went into the Garden in game 5 and shocked the Celtics at home. Of course the bad thing was we turned around and lost by two in the Omni in Game 6. That was a great series and the Hawks were so close. That group is still my all time favorite.

Unfortunately I was too young to actually watch that. I've watched the game several times since then, but I was like 4 or 5 when Bird and Nique went head to head. Would have been nice to have been a fan back in those days.

I actually stopped following the Hawks after the Smith/Rider trade. We traded one of the NBA's good guys for one of its biggest thugs. It was tough to continue being a fan for a while. I started rooting for Portland that year-that conference finals between Portland and the Lakers was a really good series. One of the dominant eras in Lakers basketball was beginning, and Portland had game 7 all but won when they suddenly fell apart.

Best: Honestly, the 3 playoff wins against the Celtics. It would've been awesome to actually take them out of the playoffs entirely, but it kind of reminded me of Rocky I. Everybody thought that the C's were gonna annihilate the Celtics, but someone forgot to tell the Hawks that it was "just a damn show." I was at Game 3, and to see Philips Arena come alive like that for the Hawks for the first time...EVER was just wild. That, and watching this team go from laughingstock to respected.

Worst: The Playoff Guarantee. That was just embarrassing, and even moreso when you'd go to the games when they were already eliminated and they'd still be saying "YOUR PLAYOFF BOUND ATLANTA HAWKS!" Just embarrassing. 03-04 didn't faze me too much, since I had basically resigned to the fact that they were going to be awful that year. They were worse, but I knew it was going to be ugly and they had better get that tylenol ready. I just loved the fact that we got a fluke win over the Super Lakers (Payton, Malone, Kobe, & Shaq) that year.

Edited by LOL_Hawks