• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Elgin Baylor sues Clippers

HawkItus

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/shared-g...ers_Baylor.html

As a black man and fan of the NBA I find this lawsuit insulting. How can you choose to work for an employer that long and then claim you were discriminated against? :nono:

No one put a gun to his head and made him sign contracts to work for those sums. And I question if any other franchise would have paid him even that much.

• Premium Member
"It's hard to believe that he would now make these ridiculous claims after the organization stood by him during 22 years and only three playoff appearances. It would be hard to find any sports team that has demonstrated greater loyalty to its general manager."

^^^LOL. That's a pretty good argument there.

• Moderators

mrhonline nailed the key quote.

You were underpaid because Sterling is cheap.

You were employed that long because Sterling is cheap.

You have 6 months to file a charge about discrimination so let me be the first to tell you that you also missed the boat a long time ago on when to raise this sort of complaint. The idea that you are basically using your firing to bring a discrimination claim after one of the longest tenures as GM in sports history is just moronic.

As a black man, I am once again embarrassed as hell to see someone pull the race card when it was obviously a nonfactor in the case. I mean, Baylor is mad just because he was kicked out unceremoniously. Deservedly so, at that. 22 years, 4 playoff appearances, 1 playoff series win, & wasted draft picks is terrible. When you have a record at that, you can't just throw around stupid allegations at your former employer like that.

This is ridiculous.

mrhonline nailed the key quote.

You were underpaid because Sterling is cheap.

You were employed that long because Sterling is cheap.

You have 6 months to file a charge about discrimination so let me be the first to tell you that you also missed the boat a long time ago on when to raise this sort of complaint. The idea that you are basically using your firing to bring a discrimination claim after one of the longest tenures as GM in sports history is just moronic.

Obama just signed a law a week or two ago letting people sue over wage discrimination with no statute of limitations.

You don't think that'll roll into discrimination suits as well?

• Moderators
Obama just signed a law a week or two ago letting people sue over wage discrimination with no statute of limitations.

You don't think that'll roll into discrimination suits as well?

The law Obama signs doesn't change that people can only bring equal pay claims for the last 2 years (3 if willful). What it does, however, is make it so people can sue their employer if a past discriminatory decision has continuing effects. So if you were hired 5 years ago and told that you are getting 80% of your African-American counterpart because you are Chinese and you have both gotten flat 3% raises since then, you can now sue for recent paychecks that are different because of race even though the discriminatory decision is outside the 2 year statute of limitations under the Equal Pay Act.

The Ledbetter law doesn't affect other types of discrimination.

Edited by AHF

• Moderators
But from what I understand she hadn't worked there for years though.

She filed her charge of discrimination months before she retired in 1998 so the lawsuit was timely under the new law and has simply been going on for years.