• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike Hampton already having health issues

gsuteke

Hampton leaves Astros for treatmentComment Email Print Share Associated Press

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Astros left-hander Mike Hampton is returning to Houston to get treatment for an irregular heartbeat.

Spring Training Blog

Check our daily spring training blog with updates on everything our team of writers and analysts are seeing and hearing at the ballpark, plus news tidbits from around the baseball world. Blog

Hampton was to be examined Monday by team physician Dr. Jim Muntz and will undergo a procedure that corrects his heartbeat with an electrical current.

The condition was discovered during an EKG test Saturday that was part of the routine physical for Astros pitchers and catchers reporting to spring training.

The Astros say the irregularity was minor and they hope to have Hampton back in camp Thursday.

The 36-year-old is 141-105 with a 4.01 ERA in 14 seasons, including six with Houston from 1994-99.

I was a little irritated he sucked money out of our payroll for years and said "so long" this offseason so I find a little bit of humor in this .... assuming he doesn't drop dead of a heart attack tomorrow that is.

Why did some people make it such a big deal that he rejected the Braves' offer tihs offseason? I was actually more surprised that we offered this fool a contract. It's pathetic... I will say good luck to him and his health because it's never a good thing when a player is injured, but with that said, I'm glad he will no longer have all of us in worries because he is no longer on the Braves' roster.

I guess I don't see the humor in this. This isn't a strained ribcage here--it's an irregular heartbeat in a young guy. I'm not a cardiologist, but it sounds like they're going to do a cardioversion (that's the current that corrects his heart rhythm). Arrythmias can certainly be fatal, and that's why this is scary for him and his family, though it wouldn't be a heart attack that he'd drop dead from (that would involve a blockage in his coronary arteries).

I hope and pray for the best for Hampton. It's disappointing he didn't pitch more for us, but he performed well when he did pitch, and we knew we were taking a huge gamble when we traded for him. Besides, as frustrating as it was, the Rockies, Marlins, and insurance paid the large majority of his salary in his 6 years here. We got stuck with a very small fraction of that bill.

I guess I don't see the humor in this. This isn't a strained ribcage here--it's an irregular heartbeat in a young guy. I'm not a cardiologist, but it sounds like they're going to do a cardioversion (that's the current that corrects his heart rhythm). Arrythmias can certainly be fatal, and that's why this is scary for him and his family, though it wouldn't be a heart attack that he'd drop dead from (that would involve a blockage in his coronary arteries).

I hope and pray for the best for Hampton. It's disappointing he didn't pitch more for us, but he performed well when he did pitch, and we knew we were taking a huge gamble when we traded for him. Besides, as frustrating as it was, the Rockies, Marlins, and insurance paid the large majority of his salary in his 6 years here. We got stuck with a very small fraction of that bill.

It's funny he's out already and spring training hasn't started yet - I qualified it by saying assuming the guy doesn't drop dead.

The Braves hardly paid for Hampton, why do you guys have so much animosity towards him? Did the Braves offer him a better contract than the Astros did? I don't think that is the case, I think the Astros actually gave him a more competitive offer.

This is like everyone hating Craig. Why would you hate the guy because he is hurt? You should hate the morons who brought injury-prone guys to your respective team.

• Moderators
The Braves hardly paid for Hampton, why do you guys have so much animosity towards him? Did the Braves offer him a better contract than the Astros did? I don't think that is the case, I think the Astros actually gave him a more competitive offer.

This is like everyone hating Craig. Why would you hate the guy because he is hurt? You should hate the morons who brought injury-prone guys to your respective team.

For me, I don't hate him but I got tired of dealing with the disappointing seasons from him.

If I were an Orlando Magic fan, I would feel the same way about Grant Hill.

Sure the team saved money because of insurance paying his contract but I could care less about that.

What I care about is he took up a portion of the BRaves payroll each year going into spring training that they were committed to spending (they have a budget) and that money could have been spent on someone that would have contributed.

What I care about is he took up a portion of the BRaves payroll each year going into spring training that they were committed to spending (they have a budget) and that money could have been spent on someone that would have contributed.

The Braves really only paid the last 3 years that Hampton was with them. If I remember correctly, in 2006 they already knew they were not going to get anything out of Hampton because of Tommy John. So I can see your beef only for 2007 and 2008. Now in 2007 the Braves ended up taking on more payroll that year in the Texeira deal, I would imagine that the insurance on Hampton probably helped out with that. So sure, 2008 he did mess the Braves up but that team was crap to begin with.

If I were a Braves fan, I would be more angry with the overrated Schurholtz than with Hampton. It wasn't Hampton who traded for an injury-prone and expensive mediocre pitcher.

• Moderators
The Braves really only paid the last 3 years that Hampton was with them. If I remember correctly, in 2006 they already knew they were not going to get anything out of Hampton because of Tommy John. So I can see your beef only for 2007 and 2008. Now in 2007 the Braves ended up taking on more payroll that year in the Texeira deal, I would imagine that the insurance on Hampton probably helped out with that.

More reason to dislike the consequences of Hampton's injury! ;)

If we could just turn around the JD Drew deal now....

On an unrelated note John Smoltz is coming across as petty now.

First he plead his case on 680.

Now he's giving interviews rolling across ESPN's bottomline saying he wanted to remain a Brave.

Dude - you got what - 5 million to (Maybe) pitch the 2nd half of the season? Extrapolate that across an entire year and he's a 10 million dollar (he may or may not be affective) pitcher

WTF John? BOston has got money to blow, take their check and stop complaining about Atlanta not taking the chance on another shoulder injury.

It's funny he's out already and spring training hasn't started yet - I qualified it by saying assuming the guy doesn't drop dead.

And I addressed your qualifying remark by saying "though it wouldn't be a heart attack...". Didn't I? In short, this isn't funny whether he drops dead or not (in that case it would go from being not funny to tragic). It's frightening for him and his family, especially being so young. I don't think his kids are saying "oh, but gsuteke qualified it, so we're not scared."

On an unrelated note John Smoltz is coming across as petty now.

First he plead his case on 680.

Now he's giving interviews rolling across ESPN's bottomline saying he wanted to remain a Brave.

Dude - you got what - 5 million to (Maybe) pitch the 2nd half of the season? Extrapolate that across an entire year and he's a 10 million dollar (he may or may not be affective) pitcher

WTF John? BOston has got money to blow, take their check and stop complaining about Atlanta not taking the chance on another shoulder injury.

I feel the same way. We're supposed to reward him with a big payday? For old times sake? How exactly does that not make him selfish now? If we overpay for him, we hurt the chances of competing again. What is he thinking? Personally, I think the guy wanted out because his wife divorced him in the middle of last year, I think. He's also got a bit of an ego. He's not coming off like a man you can respect anymore, though. Totally a "say it ain't so, Smoltzie" kind of time right now. The guy has really disappointed me.

And I addressed your qualifying remark by saying "though it wouldn't be a heart attack...". Didn't I? In short, this isn't funny whether he drops dead or not (in that case it would go from being not funny to tragic). It's frightening for him and his family, especially being so young. I don't think his kids are saying "oh, but gsuteke qualified it, so we're not scared."

If Mike Hampton's kids read message boards they would have been institutionalized many many years ago.

• Moderators

Hampton's injury isn't funny. Its just crazy how many different things have kept him off the field. And remember I think in 2007 (i could have the year wrong) Mike Hampton was Atlanta's highest paid athlete making more than Smoltz, Chipper, Mike Vick, Joe Johnson. Which is great for him. So its not like we escaped all his pay.

I feel the same about Smoltz. If you want to be a Brave be a Brave. Hell we didn't even offer Maddox a contract and he didn't complain. I wish we would have kept him. The real story is Smoltz wants to pitch in the playoffs. Fine. Just admit it and quit blaming the Braves. Take some responsibility.