• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What is the real deal with Smoove?

Wurider05

I was listening to the 2 Live Stews and they stated that one day Smoove is going to wake up in Milwaukee or Sacramento one day and realize how good he had it in Atlanta. They were really hard on him and stated that he needs to stop trying to be something he isn't and that she should try to give the team 12 a night and focus on rebounds, defense and blocks.

I wonder why he wasn't with the team. It is obvious that he wasn't suspended. Man it was like we were a different team last night.

Edited by Wurider05

I wondered this as soon as I read he wasn't suspended but was going home early. I am on Smoove's case a lot but I hope that there was nothing serious wrong with his family. However, I did wonder if that was the real reason he was going home. We will never know and it really isn't fair to speculate.

• Premium Member
I wondered this as soon as I read he wasn't suspended but was going home early. I am on Smoove's case a lot but I hope that there was nothing serious wrong with his family. However, I did wonder if that was the real reason he was going home. We will never know and it really isn't fair to speculate.

What if his personal/family issues are the reason he hasn't been playing well as of late? People here are acting like the guy has been playing bad all season when that simply is not true. Maybe we should give the guy some credit for his past play and look at this as an anomaly rather than the norm. The guy anchored our D when healthy and always tries to make a difference on BOTH ends of the floor. The Stews are dead wrong about Smith trying to be something he's not. If Smoove hadn't been trying to add new things to his game he'd be the same raw athlete he was as a Rookie. I know the turnovers and outside shots can be upsetting to some here, but I look at it as him trying to do the very things he practices. I just wanna see this "personal/family" issue thing play out before judging the guy. Hopefully, he comes back strong like he usually does because this team NEEDS him.

Edited by hawkman

I was listening to the 2 Live Stews and they stated that one day Smoove is going to wake up in Milwaukee or Sacramento one day and realize how good he had it in Atlanta. They were really hard on him and stated that he needs to stop trying to be something he isn't and that she should try to give the team 12 a night and focus on rebounds, defense and blocks.

I wonder why he wasn't with the team. It is obvious that he wasn't suspended. Man it was like we were a different team last night.

I can certainly see where the speculation is coming from but at this point all we can do is speculate. If there is indeed a family issue, I hope everything turns out okay. If it is not, I hope that Smoove comes back on Friday and plays like he is capable of playing.

If you guys are interested in some different perspective on Smith's recent struggles, check out the following link: http://www.scoreatl.com/stories/can-smith-...der-hawks-need/

I think you guys will find this interesting.

Typically I do not allow links to external websites unless you're an active member of this community. I am going to leave yours up because you seem to be linking to a legitimate business but in the future if you'd like to link to your site then please do us the courtesy of becoming an active member here.

• Premium Member

If I were Sund I would be looking for a new home for Smoove this summer. If we had a center last night the game may have turned out better. We will have to trade either williams or smoove. Smmove is not a PF or a SF, he is a tweener. I like Marvin at the SF and Horford at PF. Trade Smoove and get a real center,

If I were Sund I would be looking for a new home for Smoove this summer. If we had a center last night the game may have turned out better. We will have to trade either williams or smoove. Smmove is not a PF or a SF, he is a tweener. I like Marvin at the SF and Horford at PF. Trade Smoove and get a real center,

Or keep Williams and give Smoove some Dennis Rodman tapes.

It was a good article and made a strong point for what ails SMith. Marvin had a year in college and I think that did him a world of good as far as maturing. SMith has not had that experience. I think it is a crossroad for him to get his head together.

I suggested before that he practcice FT blindfolded so he could just do it from memory. That would take his head out of the picture.

It was a good article and made a strong point for what ails SMith. Marvin had a year in college and I think that did him a world of good as far as maturing. SMith has not had that experience. I think it is a crossroad for him to get his head together.

I suggested before that he practcice FT blindfolded so he could just do it from memory. That would take his head out of the picture.

Some of the points in the article are valid but he is wrong about Smoove's salary being so high that we can't afford to pay him that much and still put together a championship team.

First of all, BIBBY and JJ, not Smoove and JJ are currently our two highest paid players. Signing Smoove to "just" a $58M deal left us with plenty of flexibility to add quality players to the roster.

Second, in DET, Wallace, Billups, Hamilton and Prince ALL signed deals starting in the $9M-$11M range and not max or near max deals. Like us, they didn't have a true superstar but they had several very good players. Since we don't have a superstar, building using the DET model makes sense to me.

It is a given that JJ will be our highest paid player but we already have signed Smoove to a longterm deal starting at $10M and we can afford to resign Marv and Bibby to deals in the $9M-11M range if necessary (although with the salary cap going down, it won't surprise me to see both Marv and Bibby get lesser pay days than that). Al won't be an issue until 3 seasons from now. It could cost us Zaza and possibly Flip but not necessarily.

Bottom line, Smoove's salary is not so prohibitive that we can't build a championship team if he is not one of our two best players. As long as he is a significant contributor, we can still do that.

Edited by Traceman

Josh wasn't with the team b/c his gf just had their baby

Is this legit? Like do you have a story reference?

If so then this answers alot of questions. Sometimes we forget he is a very young man and if this is his first kid and from a "girlfriend" not wife, he's probably dealing with alot. This is not an excuse by the way, but sometimes you just have to face reality. It's one of the pains of drafting these just out of high school guys. They really are just kids. If he would have gone to school like I think all these guys should, he'd be a rookie this year or a 5th year senior even.

I've got a different take though. I know my son when he hit that magical 13-14 age went from 20/20 vision to needing glasses almost overnight. The eye doctor said this is real common especially with men that when they hit their life changing stages (puberty, 21, 40ish etc) that their eyes go bad almost overnight. She said it's way more common with guys to have sudden vision changes. I was watching him about 5 games ago and he reminded me alot of what my son was like before we got him glasses. Still a real good athlete but extremely inconsistent (it was his hitting that went south in like just a couple of months). I was actually wondering if maybe he was having vision issues and that was the reason for the extreme drop in free throw percentage and his quick change playing alot more inside (when his fg% went up in January). But his reaction time and court vision sure seem to have dropped off around the same time.

I work as a Public Address Announcer for a D-II college team in south Atlanta (Clayton State)... one of the player's father is a close family friend of Josh's father and we talked about the Hawks , the Smith family, and even Josh's sister (who plays for Columbus State) after our game that night, that's how I found out about this.

Edited by Theeyo

I work as a Public Address Announcer for a D-II college team in south Atlanta (Clayton State)... one of the player's father is a close family friend of Josh's father and we talked about the Hawks , the Smith family, and even Josh's sister (who plays for Columbus State) after our game that night, that's how I found out about this.

Is his siters name Phebe?

Edited by hoodstar