• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Yeah we lost, but how about Smoove?

MrRyda

So i think it is clear that Woody kept a lid on Smith shooting 3s for nearly two seasons, then gave him the green light.

Since we know Woody has stopped Smith from shooting 3s in the past the key issue is really what he said at the start of the season. He was quoted directly as saying he isn't telling Smith not to shoot 3s. That is a real head scratcher.

Just because he took a limited amount of 3's in his early years doesn't mean that Woody kept a lid on him then. At that point Smith may not have been comfortable attempting 3's and seeing as how he (and others) are pretty much allowed to do what they want offensively I think it's more likely to assume that it was his personal decision to shoot them just as it is now.

Man, I'm really not trying to be mean but I suggest you go back an re-read my posts. You are WAY off on what I said.

Huh? I quoted you in that post so how am I off on what you said?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because he took a limited amount of 3's in his early years doesn't mean that Woody kept a lid on him then. At that point Smith may not have been comfortable attempting 3's and seeing as how he (and others) are pretty much allowed to do what they want offensively I think it's more likely to assume that it was his personal decision to shoot them just as it is now.

So Smith just decided completely on his own to go from shooting 2 threes a month to shooting 3-5 per game in the middle of the season without any input from Woody?

Head20up20the20butt.jpg

Edited by exodus

So Smith just decided completely on his own to go from shooting 2 threes a month to shooting 3-5 per game in the middle of the season without any input from Woody?

Of course you can't see that as a possibility because you only deal in absolutes and whatever you happen to think at the time is always the only possibility.

You're right it makes MUCH more sense that Woody would have been the one holding Smith back from shooting 3's back then even though he's allowing him to shoot them now and he's never held anyone else back from doing whatever they want in the offense.

I like that picture of you by the way. It's pretty impressive that a guy who's a whopping 175 lbs can be so flexible.

Of course you can't see that as a possibility because you only deal in absolutes and whatever you happen to think at the time is always the only possibility.

You're right it makes MUCH more sense that Woody would have been the one holding Smith back from shooting 3's back then even though he's allowing him to shoot them now and he's never held anyone else back from doing whatever they want in the offense.

There is a possibility that i might get struck by lightning when i walk outside tomorrow but it is pretty unlikely, or about as likely as a raw 20 year old going from shooting 2 threes a month to 3-5 per game on his own in the middle of the season without any input from his coach.

It is interesting that you think Woody lets everyone do what they want considering the way he has handled Acie. He was quoted in an interview as saying that Acie didn't run the offense the way he wanted it run which is why he didn't get more time.

When Harrington was here he made it clear he would rather play the 3 and said publicly that he would prefer to go to a team where he could play the 3. But Woody insisted on playing him at the 4.

I have a feeling Boris might take issue with your belief that Woody lets players do whatever they want. He has been far more productive on other teams than he was here.

If Woody lets anyone do whatever they want on offense that doesn't say much for his ability as a coach.

If Smith does ever stop shooting 3s i know you will be the first to give Woody credit for it. You couldn't possibly fit the hugger label any more perfectly.

Edited by exodus

There is a possibility that i might get struck by lightning when i walk outside tomorrow but it is pretty unlikely, or about as likely as a raw 20 year old going from shooting 2 threes a month to 3-5 per game on his own in the middle of the season without any input from his coach.

It is interesting that you think Woody lets everyone do what they want considering the way he has handled Acie. He was quoted in an interview as saying that Acie didn't run the offense the way he wanted it run which is why he didn't get more time.

If Woody lets anyone do whatever they want on offense that doesn't say much for his ability as a coach.

If Smith does ever stop shooting 3s i know you will be the first to give Woody credit for it. You couldn't possibly fit the hugger label any more perfectly.

Yes perhaps unlikely but one can hope.

What's this nonsense about him shooting 3-5 threes per game by the middle of the season? He took 23 his entire rookie season, then 110 in year 2, 152 in year 3, and 99 in year 4. So if he started taking even 3 threes per game in the middle of a season that's 41 games at 3-5 per or 123 - 205 and that's only in half a season. So in years 1, 2, 4 you're clearly making those numbers up and unless he only attempted 29 or fewer in the first 41 games of his 3rd year then I'm afraid you're lying again.

It's difficult for Acie to be able to do what he wants when he's on the bench now isn't it.

If this is what it takes for you to realize that Woodson doesn't offer much offensively as a coach then where have you been the past 5 years? Oh wait am I allowed to say that Woodson doesn't have much ability as an offensive coach since I'm such a "hugger"?

Yes perhaps unlikely but one can hope.

What's this nonsense about him shooting 3-5 threes per game by the middle of the season? He took 23 his entire rookie season, then 110 in year 2, 152 in year 3, and 99 in year 4. So if he started taking even 3 threes per game in the middle of a season that's 41 games at 3-5 per or 123 - 205 and that's only in half a season. So in years 1, 2, 4 you're clearly making those numbers up and unless he only attempted 29 or fewer in the first 41 games of his 3rd year then I'm afraid you're lying again.

I posted the exact numbers and posted the link where i got them from. If you are too lazy to actually look at the link or too stupid to understand the numbers that is your problem.

I posted the exact numbers and posted the link where i got them from. If you are too lazy to actually look at the link or too stupid to understand the numbers that is your problem.

Do you have difficulty understanding the difference between the "middle of the season" as you said a couple of posts ago and the fact that it was only the final 27 games of the season in his 2nd year where he attempted those numbers? But I suppose to you that 68% of the season being completed means "middle of the season" right? Yeah I'm the stupid one here.

Do you have difficulty understanding the difference between the "middle of the season" as you said a couple of posts ago and the fact that it was only the final 27 games of the season in his 2nd year where he attempted those numbers? But I suppose to you that 68% of the season being completed means "middle of the season" right? Yeah I'm the stupid one here.

I posted the exact numbers with the link. Since you missed it the first time here it is again.

Smith shot only 23 three pointers during his rookie year.

In his second season he shot only 9 3s total in the 1st four months of the season. Then in March he took 2.9 three pointers per game and in April he took 4.9 three pointers per game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/spli...006&sType=2

There is nothing remotely ambiguous about these numbers or the time period. You obviously didn't even bother to look at them initially which explains the stupidity of your subsequent posts.

If you actually read my initial post then you would understand that "in the middle" of the season meant during the season.

middle

3: the position of being among or in the midst of something <in the middle of the crowd>

Does a person have to be at the exact center of a crowd to be in the middle of a crowd?

an extremely remote and isolated place <ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere>

If you don't know where you are how can you know if you are in the exact middle?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/middle[2]

I strongly suggest Hooked on Phonics. You need it in the worst way.

Yeah I clearly didn't look at the link you provided even though I gave you the exact numbers on when he attempted the 3-5 three's per game and showed you that it wasn't until the final 27 games. I now understand the world you live in ... you have an 18% margin for error when you're referring to something.

Exodus says "the grass blue".

Reality says "the grass is green".

Exodus replies "that's what I meant because you need blue to make green".

Yeah I clearly didn't look at the link you provided even though I gave you the exact numbers on when he attempted the 3-5 three's per game and showed you that it wasn't until the final 27 games. I now understand the world you live in ... you have an 18% margin for error when you're referring to something.

Wrong. I gave you the exact time frame on when he took 3-5 threes per game. You didn't "show me" anything. What part of March and April did you not understand?

Then in March he took 2.9 three pointers per game and in April he took 4.9 three pointers per game.

Did i have to repeat March and April in each subsequent post so you wouldn't forget the time period i was talking about? I guess i probably should have given your lack of reading comprehension.

I even posted the relevant uses of "middle" from Websters dictionary but you don't even understand that. not that i am surprised given your history.

Edited by exodus

Wrong. I gave you the exact time frame on when he took 3-5 threes per game. You didn't "show me" anything. What part of March and April did you not understand?

Did i have to repeat March and April in each subsequent post so you wouldn't forget the time period i was talking about? I guess i probably should have given your lack of reading comprehension.

I even posted the relevant uses of "middle" from Websters dictionary but you don't even understand that. not that i am surprised given your history.

Let's have a math lesson then since you're so clearly having comprehension problems which is understandable since many females struggle with math.

March - 16 games

April - 11 games

Total - 27 games

NBA Season - 82 games

82 games - 27 games = 55 games

55 games / 82 games = ~67%

Middle of the season (AS YOU STATED) is 41 games.

Or if you wanted to be a bit more generic you could say that the season was divided into 3 (~27 games each) so then the middle of the season (AS YOU STATED) could be seen as games 28 - 55.

The final 27 games would be the final 3rd of the season.

Now, step away from the keyboard and go back to your ice cream and lifetime network.

People are using middle to mean midst and midpoint. No common ground until both people are using the word the same way.

Either way that you use it 55 games is at the very least the 2/3 point of the season. Nobody in their right mind would say that March is the midway point of the NBA season.

• Moderators
Either way that you use it 55 games is at the very least the 2/3 point of the season. Nobody in their right mind would say that March is the midway point of the NBA season.

Exodus would agree with that. He is saying he is not using it to mean midway point but is using to mean that Smith changed the way he was playing significantly during the course of the season (or in the midst of the season).

Exodus would agree with that. He is saying he is not using it to mean midway point but is using to mean that Smith changed the way he was playing significantly during the course of the season (or in the midst of the season).

I'd be happy to hear him admit that it's neither the midway point nor the middle [portion] of the season when Smith changed the way he was playing significantly. I can't see an argument being made for anything other than it was the final 1/3rd of the season when he started shooting all of those 3's.

I'd be happy to hear him admit that it's neither the midway point nor the middle [portion] of the season when Smith changed the way he was playing significantly. I can't see an argument being made for anything other than it was the final 1/3rd of the season when he started shooting all of those 3's.

Oh let's see if I can throw some fuel on this fire.

Josh took a whole 14 3's in March and hit 6 of them for a 42.86% clip. Does that make him a 3 point shooter since he was 42.86% for a month? Better yet. In the playoffs last year he shot 82% from the free throw line. Does that make him a good free throw shooter?

Here's the reality. In 369 career games, Josh Smith has attempted 456 3 point attempts. he has made 121 of them for a 26.5% career average on 1.24 attempts per game. That's 363 points on 3's in 369 games.

In theory, if we would have thrown the ball inside on each of those possessions and converted at a 50% rate (good for the NBA), we would have scored 456 points. 93 more than before. That works out to a whopping 2 tenths of a point more per game. I hate all these stupid arguments about Josh Smith shooting 3's. Who gives a flying rip about 1/5th of a point per game? If you are so anal as to get bent out of shape over less than a quarter of a point in basketball you need a girlfriend. You need her to draw you a hot bath and you need her to have very low standards.

You're inability to understand English never ceases to amaze me. I did not say the midway point or the middle [portion] of the season was when Smith suddenly started shooting 3s.

Let's look at my first post about Smiths 2nd season.

Smith shot only 23 three pointers during his rookie year. In his second season he shot only 9 3s total in the 1st four months of the season. Then in March he took 2.9 three pointers per game and in April he took 4.9 three pointers per game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/spli...006&sType=2

So i think it is clear that Woody kept a lid on Smith shooting 3s for nearly two seasons, then gave him the green light.

I made it crystal clear in my very first post what time frame i was talking about. From that point any time i used the word "middle" i was referring to the time "during the season" when Smith suddenly started shooting 3s. The fact that Smith went 4 months taking only 9 3s total makes the change even more dramatic in March and April.

I even gave you the link to Websters dictionary explaining the the meaning of the word middle since you obviously don't understand it. Does someone have to the in the exact center of a crowd to be in the middle of a crowd?

There is more than one correct way to use the word middle which is apparently news to you.

RIF-Logo-blue_large.gif

Edited by exodus

Oh let's see if I can throw some fuel on this fire.

Josh took a whole 14 3's in March and hit 6 of them for a 42.86% clip. Does that make him a 3 point shooter since he was 42.86% for a month? Better yet. In the playoffs last year he shot 82% from the free throw line. Does that make him a good free throw shooter?

Here's the reality. In 369 career games, Josh Smith has attempted 456 3 point attempts. he has made 121 of them for a 26.5% career average on 1.24 attempts per game. That's 363 points on 3's in 369 games.

In theory, if we would have thrown the ball inside on each of those possessions and converted at a 50% rate (good for the NBA), we would have scored 456 points. 93 more than before. That works out to a whopping 2 tenths of a point more per game. I hate all these stupid arguments about Josh Smith shooting 3's. Who gives a flying rip about 1/5th of a point per game? If you are so anal as to get bent out of shape over less than a quarter of a point in basketball you need a girlfriend. You need her to draw you a hot bath and you need her to have very low standards.

It isn't just the 3s Smith takes that are the problem. When he is standing behind the 3 pt line the defense doesn't have to guard him which makes it easier for the other team to defend other guys. When he is behind the 3 pt line he isn't cutting to the basket for easy looks inside, he isn't getting offensive rebounds and putbacks, in other words Smith is right where the defense wants him to be when he is behind the line.

This is worded in a provoking way but if you boil this down to "Woodson made it clear in his comments that he wasn't asking Josh Smith to stop shooting in his interview" then this is a fact.

The bit about huggers, etc. and about whether Woodson could have secretly intended some other meaning is speculation.

No it's not. There have been people on this board (hell in this thread) who have in fact said Woody didn't say this. Or that Woody didn't actually mean that. So, yes it is a fact that some people still don't accept the fact that Woody said it. That is a fact and not "speculation".

This is speculation on the NEVER part and the too late part. Whether Josh is capable of being reined in on his shot selection is speculation.

Not it's not speculation. Up to the date Woody said what he said it would have been a fact. Woody has been Josh's only HC and that headcoach said "we" weren't going to stop him. So me saying Josh had never had a coach in the pro's tell him to stop taking 3's is once again fact. Unless of course Woody is simply lying. I don't like the man as a coach but I don't see him being a liar.

The fact that goes with this is that Woodson either has never told him to stop taking threes or has been ineffective in reining Josh's 3pt shooting in.

Hence the "at least not until it was too late". Which is basically me saying he may have tried after his original quote but it was too late.

It's a FACT? Really? Well then if it's a FACT that he said that then please show me PROOF that Woodson said ... We have NEVER told Josh to not shoot 3's. As an FYI I'll put the quote here for you and you can show me where in that quote Woody said what I put in bold.

Sorry but I'm not going to find interviews for you. YOU are the one who missed it not me. If you'd like to follow this story like the rest of us (whom have seen said interview) I sugges YOU find it. AHF admits he said it how much more proof do you need?

Do you understand the difference between ... Have never and We're not?

Yes. Josh is still shooting 3's. Soooo, Woody has either never told him to stop (which until that interview he admitted he and the coaching staff haven't) or he finally gave in and has (which is why I finished that statement with "at least not untill it was too late".) Not sure why all this is confusing and taking 2 pages to discuss. I haven't speculated on anything.