• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Yeah we lost, but how about Smoove?

MrRyda

If this is what it takes for you to realize that Woodson doesn't offer much offensively as a coach then where have you been the past 5 years? Oh wait am I allowed to say that Woodson doesn't have much ability as an offensive coach since I'm such a "hugger"?

Ok, so we both know Woody isn't a very capable offensive coach. Problem is we still aren't that great on D. Sure we have good games but I believe we are middle of the pack on D. So, horrid offensive coach and average at best defensive coach...why do we still want him? Once again I'm asking the famous "name on thing Woody does well as a coach". I believe this has been asked many times on this forum and I can't recall a single answer. Anyone?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
Oh let's see if I can throw some fuel on this fire.

Josh took a whole 14 3's in March and hit 6 of them for a 42.86% clip. Does that make him a 3 point shooter since he was 42.86% for a month? Better yet. In the playoffs last year he shot 82% from the free throw line. Does that make him a good free throw shooter?

Here's the reality. In 369 career games, Josh Smith has attempted 456 3 point attempts. he has made 121 of them for a 26.5% career average on 1.24 attempts per game. That's 363 points on 3's in 369 games.

In theory, if we would have thrown the ball inside on each of those possessions and converted at a 50% rate (good for the NBA), we would have scored 456 points. 93 more than before. That works out to a whopping 2 tenths of a point more per game. I hate all these stupid arguments about Josh Smith shooting 3's. Who gives a flying rip about 1/5th of a point per game? If you are so anal as to get bent out of shape over less than a quarter of a point in basketball you need a girlfriend. You need her to draw you a hot bath and you need her to have very low standards.

Awesome post! Sometimes I think Smoove shooting threes is WAY overblown around here. If he takes one or two during the course of the game it always get mentioned here after or even during the game. It's a part of his game that he's obviously worked on, so let the guy do his thing and stop whining about it. Smoove seems to hang his hat on being versatile, so why discourage that?

Edited by hawkman

"Sometimes I think Smoove shooting threes is WAY overblown around here. If he takes one or two during the course of the game it always get mentioned here after or even during the game. It's a part of his game that he's obviously worked on, so let the guy do his thing and stop whining about it. Smoove seems to hang his hat on being versatile, so why discourage that?"

Actually, if I'm not mistaken (and I'm not) ^^^^ was Woody's actual quote.

You're inability to understand English never ceases to amaze me. I did not say the midway point or the middle [portion] of the season was when Smith suddenly started shooting 3s.

So Smith just decided completely on his own to go from shooting 2 threes a month to shooting 3-5 per game in the middle of the season without any input from Woody?

Who said that? That's right it was you Exodus. I didn't make up the FACT that you said the middle of the season. I added the [portion] to try and help you as much as I could but you are clearly incapable of understanding what the middle of something is.

I can't believe that you would be so bold as to deny a direct quote from you in this very thread.

In Smoove's 456 career attempts at "3" during his 369 games for a whopping 1.24 attempts per game, it would be interesting to know how many of those shots were in desperation with 3 seconds or fewer on the shot clock, and not in the flow of what Woody calls his offense. Often times, in JJ's iso, he's forced to kick it out. Sometimes it seems Smoove is forced to jack up a shot because he has to. That being said, Smoove could cut or do something else than float around out there around the arc, but when his man leaves him to double, sometimes the only open look is for three.

Sorry but I'm not going to find interviews for you. YOU are the one who missed it not me. If you'd like to follow this story like the rest of us (whom have seen said interview) I sugges YOU find it. AHF admits he said it how much more proof do you need?

Uhh I already quoted it for you. Here it is again since it's clear that even though you've been following this story so closely you continue to misquote it.

“Josh is five years in the league now, man,” Woodson said after Smith’s 5-for-19 shooting effort in the loss to the Rockets. “And it comes down to time, score and situation. That’s the bottom line. We’re not telling him he can’t shoot 3-pointers but if you miss four or five jump shots, something has to go off in his head that says, ‘I have to do something else.’ “

Who said that? That's right it was you Exodus. I didn't make up the FACT that you said the middle of the season. I added the [portion] to try and help you as much as I could but you are clearly incapable of understanding what the middle of something is.

I can't believe that you would be so bold as to deny a direct quote from you in this very thread.

Like i said you don't understand English. You have no clue that the word middle can correctly refer to something other than the 41 game mark.

Funny how you accuse me of seeing things in absolute terms without acknowleging other possibilities yet you can't acknowlege that the middle of the season doesn't have to mean the 41 game mark. I gave you the link to Websters Dictionary definition of the word middle but you either didn't read it or are too stupid to understand it.

Does a person have to be in the exact center of a crowd to be in the middle of a crowd?

*crickets*

Edited by exodus

Like i said you don't understand English. You have no clue that the word middle can correctly refer to something other than the 41 game mark.

Funny how you accuse me of seeing things in absolute terms without acknowleging other possibilities yet you can't acknowlege that the middle of the season doesn't have to mean the 41 game mark. I gave you the link to Websters Dictionary definition of the word middle but you either didn't read it or are too stupid to understand it.

Does a person have to be in the exact center of a crowd to be in the middle of a crowd?

*crickets*

Didn't I say that I gave you as much help as I could by adding [portion] to your quote which would be the 27 game stretch between games 28 and 55 as the largest possible "middle of the season"?

Exodus how do you define the "middle of the season"?

Didn't I say that I gave you as much help as I could by adding [portion] to your quote which would be the 27 game stretch between games 28 and 55 as the largest possible "middle of the season"?

Exodus how do you define the "middle of the season"?

Yet again you show your inability to understand English. When i refered to the middle of the season i was talking about the exact time that Smith started jacking 3s. I wasn't talking about a "portion" of the season.

I define the word middle the same way Websters Dictionary does. I suggest you look at the link i posted since you clearly don't understand the meanings of the word.

The middle of the season can easily mean the 10 game mark or the 70 game mark which you would know if you understood the word middle.

Given that i said specifically in my very first post on Smiths second season that he started shooting 3s in March it should be clear to everyone who reads above a first grade level what i meant when i said middle of the season.

Edited by exodus

*crickets*

*crickets*crickets*crickets**crickets*crickets*crickets*

Yet again you show your inability to understand English. When i refered to the middle of the season i was talking about the exact time that Smith started jacking 3s. I wasn't talking about a "portion" of the season.

I define the word middle the same way Websters Dictionary does. I suggest you look at the link i posted since you clearly don't understand the meanings of the word.

The middle of the season can easily mean the 10 game mark or the 70 game mark which you would know if you understood the word middle.

Given that i said specifically in my very first post on Smiths second season that he started shooting 3s in March it should be clear to everyone who reads above a first grade level what i meant when i said middle of the season.

Wait wait wait let me get this straight here ... in your opinion the middle of the season could mean the game 10 or game 70? You truly have no idea what the middle is in terms of an NBA season and it's clear that you're incapable of learning so at this point it's pointless for me to continue to try and help you.

And crickets? Really? I couldn't respond immediately because I have better things to do than sit around and wait on your next ridiculous statement but you sit tight at your keyboard and try not to burst from waiting on your next lesson in (what most people understand to be) simple math.

Wait wait wait let me get this straight here ... in your opinion the middle of the season could mean the game 10 or game 70? You truly have no idea what the middle is in terms of an NBA season and it's clear that you're incapable of learning so at this point it's pointless for me to continue to try and help you.

And crickets? Really? I couldn't respond immediately because I have better things to do than sit around and wait on your next ridiculous statement but you sit tight at your keyboard and try not to burst from waiting on your next lesson in (what most people understand to be) simple math.

Yet again you show you don't understand English yet somehow you think you understand the word middle better than Websters Dictionary.

If someone says Marvin got hurt in the middle of the season that doesn't have to mean he got hurt in the 41st game. It could mean he got hurt any time during the season.

Since you STILL haven't answered the question i will ask again.

Does a person have to be at the exact center of a crowd to be in the middle of a crowd?

By not answering you are proving that you either don't understand the word middle or you know you are wrong.

Easily the lamest debate I have ever witnessed.

Let me ask you this.

Why do you think Smith suddenly started shooting 3s in March of his second season when he had only shot 9 threes in the first four months of the season? Did he just suddenly decide on his own to start shooting or did he get a green light from Woody?

Yet again you show you don't understand English yet somehow you think you understand the word middle better than Websters Dictionary.

If someone says Marvin got hurt in the middle of the season that doesn't have to mean he got hurt in the 41st game. It could mean he got hurt any time during the season.

Since you STILL haven't answered the question i will ask again.

Does a person have to be at the exact center of a crowd to be in the middle of a crowd?

By not answering you are proving that you either don't understand the word middle or you know you are wrong.

If the middle can be anytime during the season then can the beginning or end be anytime as well?

Nope a person doesn't have to be in the exact center. Pretty simply what you do is divide the crowd into an odd number of groups (3, 5, 7, 9, etc) and then choose the even number at the halfway point of the number leaving an equal amount on each side of the middle number which would be (2, 3, 4, 5, etc) based on the numbers above. Using this simple example as I have done earlier in this thread the "middle" group of games for an NBA season is games 28 - 55 since a 3rd of a season is 27 games. If you wanted to divide it into 5ths then you're looking at a 16 game block roughly between games 33 and 49. But you see using anything higher than 3rds makes your "middle of the season" statement look even more incorrect so I tried to help you out and use 3rds.

Let me ask you this.

Why do you think Smith suddenly started shooting 3s in March of his second season when he had only shot 9 threes in the first four months of the season? Did he just suddenly decide on his own to start shooting or did he get a green light from Woody?

As I said earlier in the thread based on the history of the Hawks under Mike Woodson it's a much safer assumption that Smith had the green light all along just as he has now. To you there can only be 1 explanation, Woody was holding him back. To me there could be multiple explanations because I don't live a world of absolutes. I could see that Josh simply became more confident, or maybe something happened to force him to play outside more, or maybe he was working with a shooting coach. Or (and I'm exaggerating to make a point here) maybe an interior oriented (at least at that time) Al Harrington who was acquired after the 2004 season could have forced Josh outside more at that point in the season due to Al's role changing or his comfort in our offense.

Answer this for me, if you were 68% into your 2nd year on the job is it possible that you might loosen up a bit more and do things that you wouldn't have done the first year or even at the beginning of your 2nd year?

If the middle can be anytime during the season then can the beginning or end be anytime as well?

Nope a person doesn't have to be in the exact center. Pretty simply what you do is divide the crowd into an odd number of groups (3, 5, 7, 9, etc) and then choose the even number at the halfway point of the number leaving an equal amount on each side of the middle number which would be (2, 3, 4, 5, etc) based on the numbers above. Using this simple example as I have done earlier in this thread the "middle" group of games for an NBA season is games 28 - 55 since a 3rd of a season is 27 games. If you wanted to divide it into 5ths then you're looking at a 16 game block roughly between games 33 and 49. But you see using anything higher than 3rds makes your "middle of the season" statement look even more incorrect so I tried to help you out and use 3rds.

HAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA that is friggin hilarious.

If someone is standing in a crowd of thousands how exactly are they going to do the math to figure out if they are in the middle?

:laughing5:

It is also hilarious that you are still trying to refer to a portion of the season. When i used the "middle of the season" comment i was talking about when Smith decided to shoot 3s which was a specific time (the beginning of March), not a portion of the season. Not surprising that this goes over your head.

Websters Dictionary said clearly that middle can mean "in the midst". The 10th game is in the midst of the season as is the 70th game.

Edited by exodus

Easily the lamest debate I have ever witnessed.

I don't know we've had some pretty lames one before but yeah this is pretty lame I'll agree with that. But it's like when you get bit by an ant and you know you shouldn't scratch the bite because it spreads the poison but you do it anyway and then you regret it because it was pointless.

HAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA that is friggin hilarious.

If someone is standing in a crowd of thousands how exactly are they going to do the math to figure out if they are in the middle?

:laughing5:

It is also hilarious that you are still trying to refer to a portion of the season. When i used the "middle of the season" comment i was talking about when Smith started shooting 3s which was a specific time (the beginning of March), not a portion of the season. Not surprising that this goes over your head.

Websters Dictionary said clearly that middle can mean "in the midst". The 10th game is in the midst of the season as is the 70th game.

Well genius they have this thing called "sections" and "decks" in an NBA arena and that makes it pretty damn simple to determine who is in the middle horizontally or vertically.

Yes I realize that you referred to the beginning of March as "middle of the season". Can you really not understand how you're wrong about that being the "middle of the season"?

If you're 10 years old are you in the "middle" of your life (assuming a fixed amount of years no less than 82)?

If you're 10 miles into an 82 mile drive are you in the "middle" of your drive?

If you're 10 hours into your menstrual cycle then are you in the "middle" of your cycle?

I don't know we've had some pretty lames one before but yeah this is pretty lame I'll agree with that. But it's like when you get bit by an ant and you know you shouldn't scratch the bite because it spreads the poison but you do it anyway and then you regret it because it was pointless.

You were the one who decided to start the whole middle debate. Clearly you don't understand the meaning of the word. Anyone with a lick of sense would know exactly what time frame i was talking about since i had just posted in my previous post that Smith started shooting 3s in March.

I posted the definition of the word middle from Websters yet you still don't understand it.