Yeah we lost, but how about Smoove?

MrRyda

Can you also tell me what the upcoming winning lottery numbers are going to be? Send them via PM though I don't want anyone else knowing them ;)

I highly doubt that he has never been coached or instructed not to. I'd bet my salary that at the bare minimum his dad has mentioned it to him on numerous occasions.

IMO the way that Smith is coached is that he is given room to freelance in the offense and our coaches allow it for 2 reasons:

1. We really don't have an offensive system so it's not like he's not playing within the system.

2. When he is allowed to freelance and not feel controlled he tends to be more aggressive in rebounding and shot blocking.

You're right. Never is a strong word. But, you would assume by seeing some of the ill-advised shots he takes, that Woody has given him the "red light" at some point. You would think there were some restrictions in place, I just don't see it. He has the green light whenever he wants.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right. Never is a strong word. But, you would assume by seeing some of the ill-advised shots he takes, that Woody has given him the "red light" at some point. You would think there were some restrictions in place, I just don't see it. He has the green light whenever he wants.

He's not unique in this aspect as I'm pretty sure that everyone of our regulars has a green light to do whatever they want. I certainly don't agree with it but ... if by some miracle of miracles Mark Price is able to turn him into a respectable 35%ish 3pt shooter then I'm all for it.

• Admin
You know Smoove was having a good day when he was 3/3 from 3 pt range. My biggest fear, however, is that he begins to believe that he's actually a legitmiate 3-pt shooter. That, he is not. He just had a terrific night, that's all.

completely agree...it is good that he went 3/3 but I don't even want him out there at the 3 point line.

This may give him too much confidence to start shooting 3 again.

Seriously, the Hawks are 0-6 over the last two seasons when Josh scores 30. Not sure what it is.

It's not a Smith thing. The reason we lost is because noone on our team could make an open shot the entire game. Bibby missed every open shot he had, Mo was shooting airballs, Horford didn't show up and Joe had a terrible game. If ANYONE showed up we could've easily won this game.

It would be nice to see them all get it together at the same time. May not be enough basketballs?

But do you guys think it is a matter of maturity that they learn how one to take up slack when someone else is not getting it together? See other teams do this, but it hasn't happened with the Hawks consistently.

Woody said it in HIS own words..."we're not going to tell Josh to stop taking 3s". A lot of Woody huggers will say it was taken out of contest or whatever, but if you watched the interview (or speak our native language called english) you would know this is EXACTLY what he said. So, at least in the pro's, he has NEVER had a coach that told him to stop taking them. At least not until it was too late.

Woody said it in HIS own words..."we're not going to tell Josh to stop taking 3s". A lot of Woody huggers will say it was taken out of contest or whatever, but if you watched the interview (or speak our native language called english) you would know this is EXACTLY what he said. So, at least in the pro's, he has NEVER had a coach that told him to stop taking them. At least not until it was too late.

Hugger = Someone who can read

Woody did not say that he (or the coaching staff) NEVER told Josh not to shoot 3's. Way to make stuff up to try and make your point.

Woody did not say that he (or the coaching staff) NEVER told Josh not to shoot 3's. Way to make stuff up to try and make your point.

Interesting Bobism from last night......the Philly game was the first time Josh had shot more than one 3 in a game since early in the season

Interesting Bobism from last night......the Philly game was the first time Josh had shot more than one 3 in a game since early in the season

It seemed like it had been a while since he attempted multiple but I didn't know how long it had been. And for the record if he's hitting them then I have no problem with him taking them either. It's in our best interest for Josh to expand his game, especially considering that with Marvin being a RFA Josh could be our starting SF next season.

It seemed like it had been a while since he attempted multiple but I didn't know how long it had been. And for the record if he's hitting them then I have no problem with him taking them either. It's in our best interest for Josh to expand his game, especially considering that with Marvin being a RFA Josh could be our starting SF next season.

It seems to me that this game shows that Smoove has turned the corner offensively and can be our hybrid SF. Once we get a solid starting center I would think Smoove will solidify himself as a slam dunking, lane driving, three shooting small forward. These are the kind of games (especially being on the road against a good team) that build the kind of confidence in a young player that enables them to get that confidence in their game that leads to consistency. You can't argue with last night on Josh's behalf.

Futher, I think it's incumbant on Woody to loosen up on Smoove a bit - heck - let him shoot threes. He's not going to get in a groove shooting one a night. Also, If Bibby isn't getting out on the break after Smoove gets a board I really have no problem with Smoove leading the break - he's learning there too and once he gets that cross0over down - Lookout! Kinda like a point/SF. Go Smoove!

(note: today is April 1st :stirthepot: )

That is what you are doing. He is taking Woody's direct quote. Woody said point blank that he isn't telling Smith not to shoot 3s.

As far as whether or not Woody has ever told Smith not to shoot 3s... that is a completely separate issue. However we know that Smith hasn't stopped shooting 3s. That means either Woody hasn't tried to get Smith to stop shooting them or he has been unsuccessful at getting Smith to stop. Either way Woody is at fault.

Smith has taken more than one 3 4 times since the last game in February.

You can bet he will be launching them in upcoming games after hitting 3. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take 5 next game.

That is what you are doing. He is taking Woody's direct quote. Woody said point blank that he isn't telling Smith not to shoot 3s.

As far as whether or not Woody has ever told Smith not to shoot 3s... that is a completely separate issue. However we know that Smith hasn't stopped shooting 3s. That means either Woody hasn't tried to get Smith to stop shooting them or he has been unsuccessful at getting Smith to stop. Either way Woody is at fault.

No, he's misquoting Woody as his basis for trying to disprove my point and to use your favorite line ... reading is fundamental. Here is the original post.

He's taking three's because he always has. He's never been coached or been instructed not to. It doesn't matter if he was 3-3 last night, or 7-7, or 0-8, he's still going to be shooting three's next game no matter what. We've seen it all year, and year's past. Obviously Woody is ok with him jacking three's, and if he's not, than he has no discipline whatsoever. Which very well could be...

It's not a separate issue because the original post to which I replied to said that Josh was NEVER told to not shoot 3's. The ONLY thing Woody said this year about it is that they ARE NOT telling him not to shoot 3's, not that they have NEVER told him (meaning in the past up until that moment) to not shoot 3's. Then DSinner comes out with the "hugger" line and trying to be cleverly insulting while failing miserably.

No, he's misquoting Woody as his basis for trying to disprove my point and to use your favorite line ... reading is fundamental. Here is the original post.

The original post wasn't Dsinners post. That was Buckeyes post. You are accusing Dsinner of making stuff up based one someone else's post.

He didn't misquote Woody at all. That is exactly what Woody said.

LOL @ you saying reading is fundamental.

This is what Dsinner said.

So, at least in the pro's, he has NEVER had a coach that told him to stop taking them. At least not until it was too late.

In other words if Woody ever did tell Smith to stop it was either too late or ineffective.

Edited by exodus

The original post wasn't Dsinners post. That was Buckeyes post. You are accusing Dsinner of making stuff up based one someone else's post.

LOL @ of all people saying reading is fundamental.

In other words if Woody ever did tell Smith to stop it was either too late or ineffective.

Which was the point I was trying to make. Nobody has told him not to shoot, or if the coaches have, it's not working or it's too late. Thanks Ex.

LOL @ you saying reading is fundamental.

Give me a break. First, notice I said THE ORIGINAL POST THAT I REPLIED TO? I NEVER said the original post was DSinners. I am "accusing" DSinner of making stuff up in his reply which indirectly called me (or anyone that agreed with me) a "hugger".

Facts:

1. Woody never said that he has NEVER told Josh not to shoot 3's.

2. Buckeye insinuated that was the case with his post (again the original post that I replied to).

3. I replied to Buckeye and corrected him, he agreed with me.

4. DSinner says "So, at least in the pro's, he has NEVER had a coach that told him to stop taking them. At least not until it was too late.".

5. I replied to DSinner and corrected him.

6. Exodus blindly jumped to his rescue (apparently without reading his entire post) by saying "That is what you are doing. He is taking Woody's direct quote. Woody said point blank that he isn't telling Smith not to shoot 3s. ". Sorry Ex but what DSinner said in point 4 is not Woody's "direct quote".

You may now go back to finding kitten's in trees to rescue as your attempt here has failed.

Josh is streak prone. In the past I thought his outside shooting might improve like Karl Malone, Chris Webber, etc. After seeing how bad Josh has became at the free throw line, I just don't see it happening. Josh needs to be continually reminded to stay on the block on offense, 1-3 three point attempts per game max, actually 4 jump shots per game max is a better goal.

3s. ". Sorry Ex but what DSinner said in point 4 is not Woody's "direct quote".

What Dsinner said in point 4 is just a fact. He never claimed it was a direct quote. Woody's quote was actually in quotes.

..."we're not going to tell Josh to stop taking 3s".

See the little quote marks?

Edited by exodus

What Dsinner said in point 4 is just a fact. He never claimed it was a direct quote. Woody's quote was actually in quotes.

See the little quote marks?

Oh really? What he said is a fact? So if Woody didn't say it, what makes it a fact? I'd be interested in seeing how you can prove that fact. Otherwise maybe you can change your statement to be "What DSinner said in point 4 is just his opinion." ... because that's all it is, opinion.