• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

IS Josh Smith the soul of the Hawks?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Just a discussion question here.

Is JSmoove to us what KG is to Boston? Not to say that he's our best player, but saying that he brings his heart to our team and we feed off of that... or is there another?

I can't even give Smoove that title. He has way too many games in which he's not rebounding, blocking shots, or doing those "energy things" that get the crowd and his teammates going.

I think Josh is a spark plug that can ignite a run, but he's not the "soul of the team".

This team doesn't have a definitive emotional leader, whose vocal leadership AND hard play uplifts this team. In a way, that's good, because they don't have to look to a certain person to get them going. Each player seems to turn it on at any particular time.

• Premium Member
I can't even give Smoove that title. He has way too many games in which he's not rebounding, blocking shots, or doing those "energy things" that get the crowd and his teammates going.

I think Josh is a spark plug that can ignite a run, but he's not the "soul of the team".

This team doesn't have a definitive emotional leader, whose vocal leadership AND hard play uplifts this team. In a way, that's good, because they don't have to look to a certain person to get them going. Each player seems to turn it on at any particular time.

It's hard.

When KG doesn't show up, Boston will lose. When he does show up... especially vocally, Boston will win.

Right now, I think we're dependent on Josh... but as far as a vocal leader, nobody stands taller than Al. Al has true leadership qualities and when he's a vet in the game, I think he'll be a leader for young guys. He's more mature than Josh and Marvin right now.

Our "KG" on this team is the combination of both Smoove and Al Horford.

Al Horford brings the leadership qualities....he's the person that's not afraid to tell someone to do something or pay attention in the huddle. He also brings that "nobody will stop us" attitude that KG brings.

Josh Smith brings the plays. He's the person that will dunk on someone and block someone and will fire up the crowd like KG does. He's going to be the guy that shows the most emotions on the floor and the guy that will play like it's the final game. Of course, we don't see that part of Josh Smith every night but when he does, I think his ability to take over a game is greater than KG.