• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Josh Childress return to NBA?

JTB

Chilz/Flip Is better than Mo/Flip.

Sure that is better but it will also cost you about $6 mill more per season. That $6 mill could be used on a big.

Hence

(Mo / Flip / $6 mill to put towards a Big) is better then (Chillz / Flip / $0 for another big)

No one is argueing that Mo is a better player then Chillz. People are simply stating they like what Mo gives us for $ 2 mill per year compared to the $8 mill Chillz wants. Basically, Chillz is wants 4x more money then Mo but Chillz is not 4x the player that Mo is.

You cannot over pay a wing role player without other areas of the roster being neglected, plain and simple.

Edited by coachx

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
Sure that is better but it will also cost you about $5 to $6 mill more per season. That $6 mill could be used on a big.

Hence

(Mo / Flip / $6 mill to put towards a Big) is better then (Chillz / Flip / $0 for another big)

No one is argueing that Mo is a better player then Chillz. People are simply stating they like what Mo gives us for $ 2 mill per year compared to the $8 mill Chillz wants. Basically, Chillz is wants 4x more money then Mo but Chillz is not 4x the player that Mo is.

You cannot over pay a wing role player without other areas of the roster being neglected, plain and simple.

I've never heard Chillz say that he wanted 8 million?

You guys just make up numbers for hyperbole to make your point sound better? The point is that Chillz was ready to sign 5.33 Million dollar deal before Sund put him on hold again. To remain with the Hawks Chillz was willing to settle... but even that wasn't good enough.

Now, you might want to fool yourself about Mo... when in actuality, i have seen what Mo brings that is above Rio? Every blue moon, Mo will stretch out and give us a 42 minute 14 point effort and I guess that's supposed to be satisfying. Give me a break. If we could trade Mo to make room for resigning Chillz, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Sure that is better but it will also cost you about $6 mill more per season. That $6 mill could be used on a big.

Hence

I'm with Coach here. I don't see the infatuation with bring Childress back, especially if its going to cost you an opportunity to get help for Horford and Smith down on the blocks (where the resources SHOULD be going, anyway). For less $$$, the Hawks got more mileage from Evans and Murray in terms of production and, get this, ability to create off the dribble than they ever would've gotten from Childress in the first place.

Resign Murray, Evans, and Bibby. Put Childress on the trading block (along with Claxton's expiring deal) and see who takes the bait. It is a recession and teams are scrambling to get under the cap, which should be going down. Might as well strike while the iron's still hot.

GAME, SET, MATCH.

I've never heard Chillz say that he wanted 8 million?

You guys just make up numbers for hyperbole to make your point sound better? The point is that Chillz was ready to sign 5.33 Million dollar deal before Sund put him on hold again. To remain with the Hawks Chillz was willing to settle... but even that wasn't good enough.

Now, you might want to fool yourself about Mo... when in actuality, i have seen what Mo brings that is above Rio? Every blue moon, Mo will stretch out and give us a 42 minute 14 point effort and I guess that's supposed to be satisfying. Give me a break. If we could trade Mo to make room for resigning Chillz, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

The fact is Chillz signed a deal in Greece only 23 days after the free agency period started. That is really fast. He is getting $10 mill a year over there with a place to live and transportation provided to him.

So your right...............me may have wanted more then $8 mill to stay in Atlanta. You never know what exactly it would take ?

One thing to keep in mind when all this was going on. Sund was fearing that the 76ers may sign Smoove to the same deal that Elton Brand ended up getting. That is why they waited to officially offer Chillz. Sounds like sound reasoning to me. You hate to rush in and sign Chillz only to make it harder to match a potential 76ers offer sheet to Smith. There would have been nearly nothing left over to fill out the roster. Then once Brand signed with the 76ers....Smoove flew out o LA to vist with the Clippers.

The fact is that with a RFA you rarely bid against yourself in the first 3 weeks of free agency. Never has a player gone to Europe for more money who is the prime of their careers.

I like having Flip and Mo as a duo more then just Chillz any ways.

I totally approve of how Sund handled both the Smoove and Chillz resigning and think the results speak for themselves.

I would rather concentrate on bringing David Anderson to Atlanta to round out the roster rather then adding an over paid wing we don't really even need.

Edited by coachx

The point is that Chillz was ready to sign 5.33 Million dollar deal before Sund put him on hold again. To remain with the Hawks Chillz was willing to settle... but even that wasn't good enough.

That's just not true.

Hawks were willing to give him that (5-mill or so). He wanted more and was able to get more in Greece.

Rick Sund was on 680 the other day. He said when he took over he believed the Hawks needed 3 things.

1. Someone that coud score by breaking down his defender via dribble drive - Flip Murray check

2. Some 3 point shooting to stretch the defense - Flip Murray and Moe Evans check

3. Some veteran leadership from someone that had played in playoff games before - Flip Murray and Moe Evans check

Whether he meant to do it in that exaction fashion or not he replaced Chillz with those 3 key points and the team has flourished since.

If CHillz comes back next year I'll support the team and in turn him. I just don't think the Hawks need him.

Wow hold on everybody!!!!!!! I was reading these comments on my other post about chillz possibly coming back to the NBA and I just want to make it clear that I know we dont need chillz I was just recommending that we pick the guy back up if he decides to come back to the NBA. Ya know just to add a extra player to our bench thats pretty damn decent. I mean u can never have to much depth on your bench, think about it:

bench=

1.flip

2.mo evans

3.chillz

4.solo jones or whoever

5. zaza

I think u can spit the minutes between these guys with no problem. I dont see chillz hurting us at all but only making us better.

P.S. I dont have anything against acie or west I like all the hawk players because imma fan but i just think acie isnt being wat we expected him to be and west.....well theres no prob wit west he brings us good energy. I enjoy seeing him run around the court nonstop like a maniac.

Anyways I say we get him back just to help us out more on the bench or we sign and trade him. Chillz is a good player to have even if the minutes does go down for flip and mo, i mean wat if one of our players go down again next season that just makes are bench less weak and forcing one of our good bench men to be a starter!

• Premium Member
That's just not true.

Hawks were willing to give him that (5-mill or so). He wanted more and was able to get more in Greece.

Click here.

It was a willingness to give him 5 years 33 million.

That's and average of 6.6 Million, but that starts at about 5.45 Million.

• Premium Member
The fact is Chillz signed a deal in Greece only 23 days after the free agency period started. That is really fast. He is getting $10 mill a year over there with a place to live and transportation provided to him.

So your right...............me may have wanted more then $8 mill to stay in Atlanta. You never know what exactly it would take ?

One thing to keep in mind when all this was going on. Sund was fearing that the 76ers may sign Smoove to the same deal that Elton Brand ended up getting. That is why they waited to officially offer Chillz. Sounds like sound reasoning to me. You hate to rush in and sign Chillz only to make it harder to match a potential 76ers offer sheet to Smith. There would have been nearly nothing left over to fill out the roster. Then once Brand signed with the 76ers....Smoove flew out o LA to vist with the Clippers.

The fact is that with a RFA you rarely bid against yourself in the first 3 weeks of free agency. Never has a player gone to Europe for more money who is the prime of their careers.

I like having Flip and Mo as a duo more then just Chillz any ways.

I totally approve of how Sund handled both the Smoove and Chillz resigning and think the results speak for themselves.

I would rather concentrate on bringing David Anderson to Atlanta to round out the roster rather then adding an over paid wing we don't really even need.

In FAcy, 23 days is not a short time? Are you just making this up as you go along? Most FAs who are resigning are signed by their team within a week. We have the second biggest waiter in the world in Sund. He will do the same kinda sh-- with Joe and Joe will be a Piston or a Heat.

• Premium Member
Rick Sund was on 680 the other day. He said when he took over he believed the Hawks needed 3 things.

1. Someone that coud score by breaking down his defender via dribble drive - Flip Murray check

2. Some 3 point shooting to stretch the defense - Flip Murray and Moe Evans check

3. Some veteran leadership from someone that had played in playoff games before - Flip Murray and Moe Evans check

Whether he meant to do it in that exaction fashion or not he replaced Chillz with those 3 key points and the team has flourished since.

If CHillz comes back next year I'll support the team and in turn him. I just don't think the Hawks need him.

I love what Flip brings, the fact still remains that we don't have a consistent presence around the basket. Al spends too much time in the high post and Smoove spends too much time away from the post. This past game with Miami was so good because we finally developed the inside in a half court game. That's important. Our shooters will shoot us out of games if we don't have something consistent working inside. That's what Chillz and his 58% FG% provided.. Like him or not. Mo doesn't do so well.

Wow hold on everybody!!!!!!! I was reading these comments on my other post about chillz possibly coming back to the NBA and I just want to make it clear that I know we dont need chillz I was just recommending that we pick the guy back up if he decides to come back to the NBA. Ya know just to add a extra player to our bench thats pretty damn decent. I mean u can never have to much depth on your bench, think about it:

bench=

1.flip

2.mo evans

3.chillz

4.solo jones or whoever

5. zaza

I think u can spit the minutes between these guys with no problem. I dont see chillz hurting us at all but only making us better.

P.S. I dont have anything against acie or west I like all the hawk players because imma fan but i just think acie isnt being wat we expected him to be and west.....well theres no prob wit west he brings us good energy. I enjoy seeing him run around the court nonstop like a maniac.

Anyways I say we get him back just to help us out more on the bench or we sign and trade him. Chillz is a good player to have even if the minutes does go down for flip and mo, i mean wat if one of our players go down again next season that just makes are bench less weak and forcing one of our good bench men to be a starter!

Good post. I don't see the negatives of having Chillz back on the team. Sure the argument could be we have a log jam of perimeter players, and there aren't enough minutes available. I think that's a good problem to have. Adding more talent to an already talented roster is a positive in my eyes. Injuries, slumps, more depth...Chillz can help in all these areas.

Not sure about the financial situation involving Chillz and the guys we need to re-sign...but that's Sund's decisions. But, if there were some way to keep this year's team intact and bring back Chillz, it couldn't hurt.

In FAcy, 23 days is not a short time? Are you just making this up as you go along? Most FAs who are resigning are signed by their team within a week. We have the second biggest waiter in the world in Sund. He will do the same kinda sh-- with Joe and Joe will be a Piston or a Heat.

Unrestriced free agents may resign quickly but restricted free agents are a different story.

Especially restricted free agents who have ZERO offers from other teams.

• Premium Member
Unrestriced free agents may resign quickly but restricted free agents are a different story.

Especially restricted free agents who have ZERO offers from other teams.

In our situation, you can remove the RFA from Chillz. Everybody in the league knew that the restrictions on Chillz were false. The reason being is because we also had Smoove and cheap owners.

The point still remains Chillz accepted the 5 year 33 Million dollar offer we made and was told to wait until after we resign Smoove. At that point, it's either take me or not... and we didn't..

• Moderators
When you look at both players per 40 minutes, I think Chillz last year outclassed Marvin in each category except 3 pt shooting. Moreover, I don't see how anybody could quickly forget Chillz +58% shooting.

Here are the per 36 numbers for their last seasons:

PP36: Marvin 14.5 Chillz 14.2

3pt36: Marvin 0.9 Chillz 0.3

DRB36: Marvin 4.7 Chillz 3.2

ORB36: Marvin 1.9 Chillz 2.8

AST36: Marvin 1.4 Chillz 1.9

STL36: Marvin 1.0 Chillz 1.1

BLK36: Marvin 0.7 Chillz 0.7

Childress was the more efficient shooter leading to a higher PER: 17.8 v. 16.0. Childress is 26, Marvin is 23.

Edited by AHF

• Premium Member
Here are the per 36 numbers for their last seasons:

PP36: Marvin 14.5 Chillz 14.2

3pt36: Marvin 0.9 Chillz 0.3

DRB36: Marvin 4.7 Chillz 3.2

ORB36: Marvin 1.9 Chillz 2.8

AST36: Marvin 1.4 Chillz 1.9

STL36: Marvin 1.0 Chillz 1.1

BLK36: Marvin 0.7 Chillz 0.7

Childress was the more efficient shooter leading to a higher PER: 17.8 v. 16.0. Childress is 26, Marvin is 23.

AHF... At this point, what exactly does Age matter? Marvin has been in the league for 4 years now. His age is irrelevant. Guys like Beasley and Rose and Durant are coming in younger than Marvin and dominating. Marvin has had starter minutes for the last 3 years. It's silly to keep track of his age. By this point, he should have shown something. By this point, he should have broke out. Instead, he is the most impactless starter in the NBA.

Personally, I'd like to have Chillz back. We don't necessarily need him now, but he brings a lot of things to the table that we don't have right now. For example:

1. Chillz has the ability to operate in the "point-forward" capacity, which takes pressure off of Bibby and Joe

2. Chillz is the ultimate garbage man and has the penchant for scoring off of offensive rebounds around the bucket

3. Chillz was arguably the best player on this team in regards to moving without the ball on offense. He never stood still.

I know that others may disagree, but he absolutely cannot hurt your franchise. We also need the depth. Chamoionship teams have a starting 5 coming off the bench. Currently we only play 8 deep. We need more help. I say we do the following.

Bring Chillz back @ $6 per

Resign Bibby for $5 per

Trade Speedy's expiring contract, Acie, and our first in order to move up and draft a Big or a PG

The point still remains Chillz accepted the 5 year 33 Million dollar offer we made and was told to wait until after we resign Smoove. At that point, it's either take me or not... and we didn't..

Diesel, I know you keep saying this to "win" your epic online arguments, but it's just not true. He never accepted that deal. If he would have, he would be a Hawk today. He wanted more, and he got more in Greece.