• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So Who Guards Lebron?

JackB1

Obviously Lebron presents a matchup problem for all teams.

Who is our best option to guard him? I think a healthy Marvin

would really help us in this regard. Bu if Marvin cant go, who

do we put on Lebron? Joe? Mo? Josh?

• Admin
Obviously Lebron presents a matchup problem for all teams.

Who is our best option to guard him? I think a healthy Marvin

would really help us in this regard. Bu if Marvin cant go, who

do we put on Lebron? Joe? Mo? Josh?

it will probably have to be Joe (with a lot of double teaming) simply because Mo is not big enough and Josh has to guard Varajeu (sp).

Edited by capstone21

Lebron may not be as difficult a matchup as Wade was. I'll take a lot of flack for that but it may turn out to be true.

The key to the Hawks winning this series is their offense, not defending Lebron. If the Hawks can score in the 90s they'll do very well in this series.

personally i think josh could be a very effective defender but it may be asking too much of him...if lebron was successful a bit against josh, it might knock josh's mind out of the game...will prolly have to be joe but although murray isnt big enough, he isn't too far off...

Well, Marvin if he's playing. Then if falls to our front court to clog the lane to prevent easy baskets. Make him take well defended jump shots.

Frankly, I'm more worried about Ilgauskas limiting our front court offense and taking jump shots over Horford that I am about LeBron. Call me crazy if you like but Big Z will make us realize how much we need a true starting center.

Playing defense against LeBron requires team defense. Have to play him tight on the perimeter, and help over every time he drives.

That said, here's how I rank the options.

1) Healthy Marvin-if he's healthy, he's probably the best bet. He's done a decent job against LeBron in the past, which is more than most people can say. He's one of the better man to man defenders on the team.

2) Josh Smith-the thinking here is that you need athleticism to match-up with athleticism, and having Josh guard Varejao is probably going to lead to him growing bored since Varejao is really their 5th option with any given floor combination.

3) Joe Johnson-I don't like it because LeBron WILL put JJ in foul trouble, but sometimes your best player has to be the man on both ends of the court.

team defense is key... do yall think the fact the hawks had wade in round one helps the defensive mindset for round 2?

beatthecavs.jpg

I don't think there's a clear cut answer to the question in this thread. It has to be a team effort. Generic answer, but it's the truth. You can't expect one player to take the load of guarding LeBron on his own....

Bring back that Batista guy and have him " fall " on Lebrons leg in game 1. Lebron should be getting close to the injury plagued portion of his career anyhow. You can only use roids and hgh so long before they start to turn on you.

• Premium Member

team defense is key... do yall think the fact the hawks had wade in round one helps the defensive mindset for round 2?

To answer your question...

Definitely.

Wade is faster than Lebron.

Wade is a better shooter.

Wade is a better driver.

Wade is better at getting to the line.

Lebron however, works the refs better.

Lebron is also hella stronger.

We have to do some Lenny Wilkens type defense. Funnel James away from his hotspot (i.e. the rim). I would play a triangle and 2 with one man on James and the other on Mo.. I would double in the zone areas when Bron has the ball and I would force the other guys to beat us.If we make them pick up their dribble in the halfcourt and we funnel James away from the basket.. we will win by double digits.

How about we get an 80 or 90 year old with asthma or better yet emphysema to sit in the front row of game 3 and gag, collapse and die when Lebron does that stupid aysss powder toss he does to start games. Have ATL'S finest there to quickly arrest him, take him down town and charge him with involintary manslaughter with no bail set till after the series.

Now of corse Im kidding but on a serious note why do visiting arenas let him get away with that. Nobody wants that shyyt flying in their face and he is a road player here. Somebody should have the rocks to tell him sorry dufus but you cant do that here.

Edited by NJHAWK

Playing defense against LeBron requires team defense. Have to play him tight on the perimeter, and help over every time he drives.

That said, here's how I rank the options.

1) Healthy Marvin-if he's healthy, he's probably the best bet. He's done a decent job against LeBron in the past, which is more than most people can say. He's one of the better man to man defenders on the team.

2) Josh Smith-the thinking here is that you need athleticism to match-up with athleticism, and having Josh guard Varejao is probably going to lead to him growing bored since Varejao is really their 5th option with any given floor combination.

3) Joe Johnson-I don't like it because LeBron WILL put JJ in foul trouble, but sometimes your best player has to be the man on both ends of the court.

Definately option 1

I actually like Smith being on Anderson because it will allow Smith to come over for weakside blocks and shot challenges on LBJ. Smith just has to come quickl as LBJ can really fly once he makes the decision to drive.

I would add option 4

Use Solo to mug LBJ. Just put Solo in for 5 minutes and let him collect his 5 hard fouls on LBJ and call it a night. A few games of this and James won't be so willing to come into the paint. This is the old Knicks strategy on Jordan and the rest of the NBA. James isn't used to it, so it might work.

Definately option 1

I actually like Smith being on Anderson because it will allow Smith to come over for weakside blocks and shot challenges on LBJ. Smith just has to come quickl as LBJ can really fly once he makes the decision to drive.

I would add option 4

Use Solo to mug LBJ. Just put Solo in for 5 minutes and let him collect his 5 hard fouls on LBJ and call it a night. A few games of this and James won't be so willing to come into the paint. This is the old Knicks strategy on Jordan and the rest of the NBA. James isn't used to it, so it might work.

Maybe I'd activate Morris for that, Lebron looks like he has about 40lbs of muscle on Solo... I just can't imagine Solo dishing a hard foul.

... but Lebron is the tough because you really want to double him all the time to keep him from driving but he's such a strong and decisive passer that once you send the double, he can thrown right over you and hit an open man across court. I like having Josh on Andy V/Wallace while they're in the game and then letting him come and contest Bron's shot every time down. Josh-intimidation was a factor against the Heat, we can make it one against the Cavs too. The biggest issue is going to be when the have both Joe Smith and Z in the game because both those guys can nail the J, then you just gotta hope someone can stay in front of the most devestating wing player in the game.