• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Off season moves that will probably really happen! take a look at this DIESEL!

JTB

First off IM NOT CALLING YOU OUT DIESEL but anyways i must say im a little mad that we are trying to trade away our players. We dont need to hardly trade anybody, we just need to add a depth to the bench. If you look at our team, we have the talent! it's the offense coaching thats the problem. Woody did good on defense this season but like the cavs we need to sign a offensive coordinator, so we will actually have a scheme next season and stop with all the iso's. We dont need a lebron, kobe or wade....we actually got a good team we just need a better running offense system.

off-season moves

-offense coordinator (so we can actually run a good offense and stop running so many isos with joe, plus we dont ever move around when joe get the ball, everyone is just watching him hoping he make a play and that has happened the majority of the season! woody cant run a offense but his defense scheme is good)

-need to add more depth to bench(having only two good players on the bench~mo & flip~ and one every once in a while guy to do good coming off the bench~za-za~ just wont cut it. I wouldnt mind seeing chillz come back.....i like his aggressiveness, he didnt need the ball to make a play!)

-j-smoove getting better at shooting will also make us a better team (he really needs to work on that, since he chooses to keep taking all these shots so i hope he comes back next season with a good shot, if marvin can make his shot better over the off season so can smoove!)

~besides those things we are already a good team we just need better offense coaching but not woody, we just let woody control our defense, we need better shooting from smoove since he keep taking all these shots and cant seem to stop, so he mine as well work on his shooting over the off season, and last but not least just a extra person on our bench like chillz and maybe a another big man on our bench like wilcox.~

Edited by JTB

• Premium Member

JTB,

That's a very good wishlist. I think all Hawks fans would love for that to happen. Keep up the good spirit. However, when you say "will probably really happen". :blow out candles:

off-season moves

-offense coordinator (so we can actually run a good offense and stop running so many isos with joe, plus we dont ever move around when joe get the ball, everyone is just watching him hoping he make a play and that has happened the majority of the season! woody cant run a offense but his defense scheme is good)

Most definately. When we were in the in the 4th quarter we called a time out. Out of the time out it was an iso play for JJ vs. Lebron. Why call timeout to run an iso with JJ vs. Lebron ?

-need to add more depth to bench(having only two good players on the bench~mo & flip~ and one every once in a while guy to do good coming off the bench~za-za~ just wont cut it. I wouldnt mind seeing chillz come back.....i like his aggressiveness, he didnt need the ball to make a play!)

Flip and ZaZa are free agents. Flip is a good scorer off the bench I'd like to keep. I would love an upgrade over ZaZa. A center who can defend the rim and not just positioning on the ground. The name Wilcox, you brought up, would be a nice upgrade. I would also love to see David Anderson added for some real versitility and front court depth off the bench.

-j-smoove getting better at shooting will also make us a better team (he really needs to work on that, since he chooses to keep taking all these shots so i hope he comes back next season with a good shot, if marvin can make his shot better over the off season so can smoove!)

Don't hold your breath on this one. He has been working on his perimeter shooting his whole life and it never gets better. I saw him play as a junior in highschool and his offensive game was the same it is now. He would hack up several perimeter shots a game and miss 75% of them.

I really hope we bring Marvin back. His 6'9'' frame at SF means so much with his ability asa perimeter and post defender. James had a tougher time shooting over Marvin's lanky 6'9'' frame compared Mo Evans. Marvin gives our defense the freedom to switch. This drives some teams crazy as we heard opposing coaches praise that ability to switch, without giving up a real mis-match, throughout the season. JJ, Marvin, and Smoove's ability to defend the SG, SF, and PF positions on switches really adds a unique dimension to our team defense............with a Mo Evans in the game we lose that versility................If we let Marvin walk, move JJ to SF, and bring a SG in to start. It better be a SG that is a true upgrade in talent and not some journeyman.

I would love Jarret Jack to come back to Atlanta. He is not a star but he is solid. He is alot like D. West, of the Cavs. When Jack's shot is off he can be an energy player and play good defense. When Bibby's shot is off he is worthless. I am just afraid we would have to really over pay for the Pacers not to match our offer on Jack. After all, he was won the favor of the coach in Indy, and the starting position over TJ Ford.

I am hoping we get lucky and get a stud PG at pick #19.

We have so many assets to make some tweaks without giving up current key players on our roster:

1. Speedy's expiring deal $5mill deal to make salaries work

2. Rights to Chillz

3. Rights to David Anderson

4. Mo Evans expiring $2 mill deal to make salaries work

5. pick #19

For a team looking to dump salary for exopiring picks...we would have a little ammunition. Remember the Nuggetts giving away Marcus Camby last year for salary cap relief ? Maybe we can be that lucky team to take advantage of another team's salary dump trade for expiring contracts.

Look foward to seeing what kind of finger print Sund puts on the franchise.

Edited by coachx

Personally, I would be picking up the phone to the Hornets and seeing if they were still considering moving Tyson Chandler. Chandler for the rights to Chills and Speedy's expiring contract. We all know they were taking less than nothing for him 3 months ago. He could be our first big off the bench or could start and either Josh or Al could man the 4 spot. We lose nothing of value while gaining valuable depth especially if ZaZa signs on elsewhere.

JTB,

That's a very good wishlist. I think all Hawks fans would love for that to happen. Keep up the good spirit. However, when you say "will probably really happen". :blow out candles:

well i cant really see anything else happening. i seriously doubt we do some big time trading, so all we can hope for is our team to get better and maybe sign 2 people for the bench and resign our players of course............well maybe not za za! oh and again we dont need woody to run our offense!....should be fine next season.

I'm not sure why ya'll would want to get rid of Pachulia.. He is an energy player that keeps the ball alive on offense, isn't afraid to foul hard, and plays decent defense. He's definitely a bench player but he's high energy and most teams want to keep that. Besides, with that inheritance he just picked up he may not be seeking all that much money.

Thank you for all the Cavalier comparisons. However, some things on your wish list are just that- a wish. Josh Smith isn't a shooter. In fact, it would just be unfair if he were because he would be too darn good. What he needs to do is work off the ball, his free throw shooting, and just watching tape of how stupid he looked taking jumpers against a Cavalier defense that was giving him 18+ footers.

The guy that said keep Flip is right. It's hard to find legit scorers off the bench. Most teams are being forced to do it with a starter (Dallas, SA) but you guys don't need to give that up.

Keep your coach. Defense wins championships, not offense. Just check with Phoenix, they have some experience in the matter. The offense will come as the right players continue to move into the system. A coordinator isn't a bad idea but it isn't all that common for a coach to go out and find help.

Keep your coach. Defense wins championships, not offense.

Just because our coach preaches defense doesn't make him a genius on defensive end.... Every single coach in NBA knows defense is important... There is more defensive minded coaches in league than offensive, but only handful of them actually know how to set up/push their players or adjust their defense to their opponent and i am not sure Woody knows that.....

Woodson never adjusts and even when he does it's too late...... We switch on almost every play and even if it doesn't work we still switch...

I think Mike Brown is an excellent defensive coach. If you look at the Cavs rooster there really isn't a player you can say is defensive minded except maybe Delonte West..... Wallace is past his prime and Vareajo is still a bit too wild.... He made freaking Wally Szcerbiack play defense and take charges....

Also he flat out sucks on offensive end, he doesn't have any plays in his "gaybook" other than iso's.... He doesn't know how to develop young players, but he knows how to destroy them....

I mean he has been with the Hawks for 4-5 years now and he has ran into bunch of young players and never really developed one... Smoove is the only one that made big strides and overachieved, but that's only because he went out of his way to work out with legends such as Hakeem, Murphy and others.....

Edited by Popeye

I really hope we bring Marvin back. His 6'9'' frame at SF means so much with his ability asa perimeter and post defender. James had a tougher time shooting over Marvin's lanky 6'9'' frame compared Mo Evans. Marvin gives our defense the freedom to switch. This drives some teams crazy as we heard opposing coaches praise that ability to switch, without giving up a real mis-match, throughout the season. JJ, Marvin, and Smoove's ability to defend the SG, SF, and PF positions on switches really adds a unique dimension to our team defense............with a Mo Evans in the game we lose that versility................If we let Marvin walk, move JJ to SF, and bring a SG in to start. It better be a SG that is a true upgrade in talent and not some journeyman.

I whole heartedly agree with you that Marvin should be resigned, I just came to the realization that given his defensive prowess and offensive abilities, we are going to need him to compete in our division yet alone our conference. Having JJ playing the 3 puts him at a disadvantage beating or defending against all the opposing SFs in the east. Consider this, in our division we have either Hedo/Lewis in Orlando, G. Wallace/Diaw in Charlotte, McGuire/Jamison in Washington and then I'm sure Beasley is going to settle down at the 3 in the future for Miami. Those are all a bunch of tall, rangy forwards that Marvin is perfect against in our division alone. That doesn't even take into account Lebron, Granger, Deng, Charlie V, Prince, T. Young and Wilson Chandler.

Personally, I would be picking up the phone to the Hornets and seeing if they were still considering moving Tyson Chandler. Chandler for the rights to Chills and Speedy's expiring contract. We all know they were taking less than nothing for him 3 months ago. He could be our first big off the bench or could start and either Josh or Al could man the 4 spot. We lose nothing of value while gaining valuable depth especially if ZaZa signs on elsewhere.

It's not a bad idea... However, Chandler is a liability in terms of his health (feet)...

• Moderators
I'm not sure why ya'll would want to get rid of Pachulia.. He is an energy player that keeps the ball alive on offense, isn't afraid to foul hard, and plays decent defense. He's definitely a bench player but he's high energy and most teams want to keep that. Besides, with that inheritance he just picked up he may not be seeking all that much money.

Thank you for all the Cavalier comparisons. However, some things on your wish list are just that- a wish. Josh Smith isn't a shooter. In fact, it would just be unfair if he were because he would be too darn good. What he needs to do is work off the ball, his free throw shooting, and just watching tape of how stupid he looked taking jumpers against a Cavalier defense that was giving him 18+ footers.

The guy that said keep Flip is right. It's hard to find legit scorers off the bench. Most teams are being forced to do it with a starter (Dallas, SA) but you guys don't need to give that up.

Keep your coach. Defense wins championships, not offense. Just check with Phoenix, they have some experience in the matter. The offense will come as the right players continue to move into the system. A coordinator isn't a bad idea but it isn't all that common for a coach to go out and find help.

I agree with all this except the bolded part. Woodson has had 5 years to install an offensive system and the only system he has installed has been running isolations. Why would we ever expect an actual system to be installed when Woodson hasn't starting running one in 5 years with the team?

His comment that the offense will "take care of itself" has personified his approach to offense for all 5 years. We don't even run pick and rolls consistently with Bibby which takes all the offensive scheming ability of asking Dikembe Mutombo to block shots on the defensive end.

I just see no reason to expect a change in our offense without at least the hiring of a coordinator. That leads me to think that bringing in a new head coach who can install an offense and focus on D (or at least come in with a handpicked coordinator for the D) is a very good idea.

I agree with all this except the bolded part. Woodson has had 5 years to install an offensive system and the only system he has installed has been running isolations. Why would we ever expect an actual system to be installed when Woodson hasn't starting running one in 5 years with the team?

His comment that the offense will "take care of itself" has personified his approach to offense for all 5 years. We don't even run pick and rolls consistently with Bibby which takes all the offensive scheming ability of asking Dikembe Mutombo to block shots on the defensive end.

I just see no reason to expect a change in our offense without at least the hiring of a coordinator. That leads me to think that bringing in a new head coach who can install an offense and focus on D (or at least come in with a handpicked coordinator for the D) is a very good idea.

exactly all we do is use jj to do iso's. no screens, no pick and rolls or no nothing and im surprised that people are willing to let jj go but really his lack of play isnt his fault its the coaches! oh and i like the idea of bringing in a new coach but it just aint going to happen cause woody is going to keep his job no doubt because he got us to the second round of the playoffs, thats why i say we hire a offense coordinator to help woody out.

Edited by JTB

Defense does win championships. However, there has to be some offensive "system" in place. There's a reason why your boys stood 8 feet away from Smoove everytime he had the ball on the perimeter. There's a reason why JJ was doubled all the time. Our team has the inability to stop things that aren't working, and the inability to make adjustments throughout the game.

We need someone new at the helm. :computer8:

Defense does win championships. However, there has to be some offensive "system" in place. There's a reason why your boys stood 8 feet away from Smoove everytime he had the ball on the perimeter. There's a reason why JJ was doubled all the time. Our team has the inability to stop things that aren't working, and the inability to make adjustments throughout the game.

We need someone new at the helm. :computer8:

I watched the game. They had your coach on the Mic during a timeout and he told his players to stop taking jump shots and go to the hoop, yet Bibby and Smith continued to take jumpers. You're telling me that your coach can't make adjustments and his offense is terrible despite the fact that it's obvious it was your players' fault?

I watched the game. They had your coach on the Mic during a timeout and he told his players to stop taking jump shots and go to the hoop, yet Bibby and Smith continued to take jumpers. You're telling me that your coach can't make adjustments and his offense is terrible despite the fact that it's obvious it was your players' fault?

We had a thread dedicated to this. The players just don't listen to directions.

It is Woodrow's fault though. Woodrow is responsible for everything. In fact Woodrow was behind the JFK assassination.

• Moderators

Wow. You are suggesting we need to keep a coach who can't get his players to run an offense after 5 years of trying?

If the players don't listen to Woodson, that is a strike against both Woodson and the players - not an excuse for not having a system in place. If anything, it is a sign that the players are tuning him out.

The fact is that there has not been an offensive system in place in 5 years on the job. Why would we ever expect one to be effectively installed in year 6?

Wow. You are suggesting we need to keep a coach who can't get his players to run an offense after 5 years of trying?

If the players don't listen to Woodson, that is a strike against both Woodson and the players - not an excuse for not having a system in place. If anything, it is a sign that the players are tuning him out.

The fact is that there has not been an offensive system in place in 5 years on the job. Why would we ever expect one to be effectively installed in year 6?

Cavobserver probably hasn't watched the Hawks much this year until the series with his boys...let alone the past 5 years under Woodson. Until you watch us consistently, like most Squawkers, it's impossible to clearly understand the glaring weakness of no offensive coaching.

players not listening to woody isnt the problem, they do listen to woody all except smith but thats another story. what were saying is that woodson has preached good defense tactics like any other coach does but for us it has actually paid off! he got us in the top 10 defenses in the regular season and we get a step closer each year (this year 2nd round in playoffs). what it is, is that woody offense scheme is to run all the plays through jj and now that we have more talent he hasnt seem to get it that we dont need jj to be our only offense anymore, since we have a talented group of scores now. (basicly woody is using that same offense when all we had was jj to score 3 years ago with the talented team we have now) then again he dont know offense as well as he does defense, so again if we sign a offense coordinator to help woody out, we will be better team. right now all we run is isos 85% of the time with jj, flip, or bibby but mainly jj. no screens, pick and rolls or nothing.

players not listening to woody isnt the problem, they do listen to woody all except smith but thats another story. what were saying is that woodson has preached good defense tactics like any other coach does but for us it has actually paid off! he got us in the top 10 defenses in the regular season and we get a step closer each year (this year 2nd round in playoffs). what it is, is that woody offense scheme is to run all the plays through jj and now that we have more talent he hasnt seem to get it that we dont need jj to be our only offense anymore, since we have a talented group of scores now. (basicly woody is using that same offense when all we had was jj to score 3 years ago with the talented team we have now) then again he dont know offense as well as he does defense, so again if we sign a offense coordinator to help woody out, we will be better team. right now all we run is isos 85% of the time with jj, flip, or bibby but mainly jj. no screens, pick and rolls or nothing.

Defense isn't the problem. Like you stated. His background is defense, his basketball knowledge is defense. But to become a head coach at the highest level, a coach must be able to develop some kind of identity to score the basketball. If that doesn't work, make adjustments and do something else. The Hawks do neither.

One may argue our offense runs through Joe, that's our identity. Fine...but when the double comes, what now Coach? Buptkus. That's what...

Defense isn't the problem. Like you stated. His background is defense, his basketball knowledge is defense. But to become a head coach at the highest level, a coach must be able to develop some kind of identity to score the basketball. If that doesn't work, make adjustments and do something else. The Hawks do neither.

One may argue our offense runs through Joe, that's our identity. Fine...but when the double comes, what now Coach? Buptkus. That's what...

i agree but thats were the offense coordinator comes in. i can assure you that if we get a offense coordinator, we wont be running all the plays through johnson and everybody will be invovled in our offense instead of just 3 or 4 players. plus we will be much harder to deal with on offense because it will be harder for defenses to prepare for us. right now if you look at video tape of how we run offense you can see it is all through jj and its pretty easy to prepare for someone when all you do is iso with your star player! again we have the talent but were not running plays on offense for everybody just one man and thats woodys doings, so to stop this we get woody a offense coordinator that knows how to run plays and make our team better and woody keeps preaching that defense and we should be fine.

and just to throw out there forget getting another head coach cause woody aint going no where so we have to do something else. My idea "offense coordinator", some people says to add diffrent players or sign and trade our players but nothing will change this team if woody is still running our offense.