• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Reaction to Rick Sund's Announcement Coach Woodson is Returning

AHF

Reaction to Woodon's Return  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thanks for the poll AHF.

I am disgusted. Really. No other way to put it.

The ASG make it very hard to be a fan of the Hawks and the Thrashers with their continued support of poor coaching and team management (Woodson and Waddell, respectively).

Will I keep supporting the Hawks laundry? Yes, but I won't support the ASG by going to games and giving them money.

Thanks for the poll AHF.

I am disgusted. Really. No other way to put it.

The ASG make it very hard to be a fan of the Hawks and the Thrashers with their continued support of poor coaching and team management (Woodson and Waddell, respectively).

Will I keep supporting the Hawks laundry? Yes, but I won't support the ASG by going to games and giving them money.

It's frustrating. But that's what makes us so special... If we continually decide to stand by the Hawks through everything. I applaud you!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

While I didn't like hearing it. It doesn't surprise me, however. Woody achieved goals he set out reach: over .500, 2nd round, fourth seed. He made his case. That said, I don't believe he's the guy who can get the most out of this club. That's the issue. To paraphrase Bill Parcell's, "you have to try to get better in any area you can get better in." If that means upgrading your coach, so be it. There are better coaches out there. Nobody can make me believe there isn't. When it boils down to it, Woody has kept his job because of the current litigation going on in Maryland that has the Hawks finances tied up. I know we've improved each year. I know he inherited a rebuilding job. Yada, yada, yada. The fact is, I believe another coach could get much more out of this team.

it made me wanna throw up, that answer it

What he said, but change 'throw up' to go postal...lol j/k

but I think he is holding the franchise back and it does make it hard to support the Hawks financially, I will support my Hawks from home wearing one of my Jerseys and call the game as an armchair gm!! Joe Johnson iso at the top of the key, Flip Murray on the drive against 3 players, 4 players WIDE OPEN, he takes the shot, miss...*sigh* why couldn't Arthur Blank buy the Hawks and Phillips...DAMMIT!! :help wanted:

Woodson also dosn't work well with assistants. Two years ago there was a rebellion amongst coaches and Woodson even said that he should have listened to his assistants at the end of the season.

Many of them either jumped ship or tried to.

Woodson does one thing well. After he's demonstrated his incompetence, he cites his biggest deficiencies and says he needs to change.

Then he does the same thing all over again.

I've wanted Woodson gone for three or four years now. Very strongly.

Woodson frustrates the hell out of me and I'm no fan of his. However, I try to look at this objectively. And what I see is a coach that preaches defense and rebounding consistently. His idea is that its defense and rebounding that will win a championship. And I agree with that totally.

I look at how our team looks coming out of training camp-after Woody has been able to drill everything he wants into our team-and before the young ins start forgetting the basic fundamentals of defense. It seems like at the start of every year the Hawks come out like gangbusters...and our defense is what carries us.....remember our start this year? remember last year? even that year when we beat Cleveland on the road with Tyrone Lue hitting a floater over Lebron and we were like 5-1 to start the season or something like that (I think that was 3 years ago)? For some reason over the course of the year, the team forgets how it played in those starts. If those starts are really due to woody's coaching and our team grows up and is able to maintain those efforts for most of the season, I am okay with him as our coach.

Either way, there is no doubt that we need an offensive coordinator. Its just easier to accept the lack of one when the team is playing defense and rebounding the way it seems Woody wants them to.

you guys really think the talent is better than the coaching.

Your wrong.

We have ONE outstanding player,

4 GOOD players and

3 other NBA caliber players.

It is Not the talent of a contender.

Woody has coached this group up.

And the ONE outstanding guy is SOFT.

you guys really think the talent is better than the coaching.

Your wrong.

We have ONE outstanding player,

4 GOOD players and

3 other NBA caliber players.

It is Not the talent of a contender.

Woody has coached this group up.

And the ONE outstanding guy is SOFT.

I think to win 47 games in a season, a team must have talent playing the game. You''re a big Hawks fan, you watch the games. It's not like we're out executing teams on the offensive end. We score the ball on sheer talent alone. We make jumpers we win, we miss, we lose. Coach Woodson is not shooting the shots.

• Premium Member

We all knew Woodson was coming back next year if we made the playoffs this year. I'm not excited about this but I'm definitely not 100% against it. I'm just glad they didn't extend his contract.

Not that I think Woodson should be here forever, but the team isn't ready for a great coach yet. Woody's offense and defense is remedial, but many of our guys still can't run it. We need to continue to add savvy and talented players to this team. Once we reach a healthy team IQ then you can bring in someone who is more advanced in scheming than Woody.

Not that I think Woodson should be here forever, but the team isn't ready for a great coach yet. Woody's offense and defense is remedial, but many of our guys still can't run it. We need to continue to add savvy and talented players to this team. Once we reach a healthy team IQ then you can bring in someone who is more advanced in scheming than Woody.

This assumes Woodson can teach BBIQ, which I seriously doubt, as he lacks this trait.

The team is ready for another voice and a better system. ASG due to their collective problems chose to retain Woodson. From a financial view, I suppose this makes sense, but from a basketball perspective its a horrible decission.

Same can be said of retaining Waddell on the hockey side. Though, IMO, hockey sales would increase if Waddell was removed.

Hate to say "I told you so" but, guess what, "I told you this would happen."

When something happens that was almost a guarantee, why would we get

upset? Woody has a contract. He will be paid for another year. Hawks will

not pay two coaches for the same job.

:write a letter: