• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Remind me what Rick Sund's draft history has been again?

bumpyphish1

He drafted poorly when it came to Centers. I hope he learned from those mistakes.

Vlad Radmanovic

Earl Watson

Bobby Simmons

Nick Collision

Luke Ridnour

Willie Green

Robert Swift

Johan Petro

Mickael Gelabale

Saer Sene

Sene was the only true bust. Outside of pgs, no good players available after that pick in 2006. The average selection of his 1st round picks is #14, not bad.

Vlad Radmanovic

Earl Watson

Bobby Simmons

Nick Collision

Luke Ridnour

Willie Green

Robert Swift

Johan Petro

Mickael Gelabale

Saer Sene

Sene was the only true bust. Outside of pgs, no good players available after that pick in 2006. The average selection of his 1st round picks is #14, not bad.

Damnit... :(

• Premium Member
Would I be out of line in saying Sund is the reason the Sonics left Seattle? Alright too much, but he has swung some decent trades.

A bit.

Radmanovic (12th)

Collison (12th)

Ridnour (14th)

Swift (12th)

^^^All solid selections. No stars, but all have capable NBA players. Swift was hurt by injuries.

Watson (40th) was a steal. To get a role-playing big at 25 (Petro) is commendable.

Sene (10th) was a bust and a major reach.

Unlike Knight, who was "all or nothing," Sund is safe and solid. Luckily, all the Hawks need is "safe and solid."

• Premium Member
???? He's got a solid history of finding role players.

which explains why he loves JJ and Bibby so much.

Vlad Radmanovic

Earl Watson

Bobby Simmons

Nick Collision

Luke Ridnour

Willie Green

Robert Swift

Johan Petro

Mickael Gelabale

Saer Sene

I could make a very solid argument that not one of those guys would have cracked our 8 man rotation this past season. Certainly not one would have had a chance in hell of starting for us unless somebody was hurt.

Edited by NJHAWK

Who has he been responsible for picking? Who are his notable hits and misses?

We need a Thomas Dimitroff clone here so bad.....

Hell, I'd take an RC Buford clone but I am pulling for Sund to select the right PG for us at 19.

He also traded Rashard Lewis, a move that ultimately put the nail in the coffin for the Sonics. Anyone know who they got for him, I don't even remember? I'll bet someone in Seattle remembers, though.

• Premium Member
He also traded Rashard Lewis, a move that ultimately put the nail in the coffin for the Sonics. Anyone know who they got for him, I don't even remember? I'll bet someone in Seattle remembers, though.

They got a 2nd rounder out of it.

What was he supposed to do? Sign Lewis to that ridiculous deal?

The Sonics left because the city was unwilling to pay for a new stadium, IIRC. It had little to do with basketball.

They got a 2nd rounder out of it.

What was he supposed to do? Sign Lewis to that ridiculous deal?

The Sonics left because the city was unwilling to pay for a new stadium, IIRC. It had little to do with basketball.

That's not entirely true, and you know it. THe city of Seattle loved the Sonics for over 2 decades. Sure, they needed an arena, but guys like Sund sucked the life out of the city. With a guy like him at the top, the city realized the ownership had totally given up and they decided to let the owners walk. If they had won on the court, which is what a GM should do, they would have gotten a new stadium. He was there the last 7 years. Plenty of time to turn it around. But Rick Sund doesn't care about that. There's always another job in another city. I hate these NBA "lifer" chumps like Woodson, BK, and Sund.

And really, I don't see how anyone could call the Lewis deal ridiculous, considering Joe Johnson's contract. I would take Lewis 8 days a week over Joe. Turk, too. But that's a different story.

• Premium Member
That's not entirely true, and you know it.

Yes, it is. I know my Seattle history; I used to live near there.

Key Arena was the smallest arena in the NBA. There was a grassroots movement at the time ("SOS" = "Save our Sonics") that was dedicated to keeping the team in Seattle. The truth is that Clay Bennett never had any intention of keeping the team in Seattle.

And really, I don't see how anyone could call the Lewis deal ridiculous, considering Joe Johnson's contract. I would take Lewis 8 days a week over Joe. Turk, too. But that's a different story.

How silly. JJ signed a deal paying him ~$14M/year. Lewis signed a deal paying him ~$19M/year.

Of course, there's not much point in arguing with someone who thinks that Lewis would make a better first option than Joe. Put JJ on the Magic and that team is even better.

Yes, it is. I know my Seattle history; I used to live near there.

Key Arena was the smallest arena in the NBA. There was a grassroots movement at the time ("SOS" = "Save our Sonics") that was dedicated to keeping the team in Seattle. The truth is that Clay Bennett never had any intention of keeping the team in Seattle.

How silly. JJ signed a deal paying him ~$14M/year. Lewis signed a deal paying him ~$19M/year.

Of course, there's not much point in arguing with someone who thinks that Lewis would make a better first option than Joe. Put JJ on the Magic and that team is even better.

That may be true about Bennett, but Sund did not help. Perhaps he couldn't, who knows? I do know that he kept taking checks while running the franchise into the ground. Different city or not, it's the "team" he put together. They suck.

I'm no contract expert, but didn't they both sign max deals. Those are the same, correct?

Your last statement is just, dumb, MRH. Of course there is reason do discuss. Joe Johnson hasn't accomplished much in the way of team achievements in his career. It's about half over, btw. Rashard is a better teammate on the floor. He doesn't need to dribble for 15 seconds. He realizes there are other players. Rashard is a better clutch shooter, imo. He's taller, which helps tremendously when defenses are in rotation and charging a 3 shot. He actually has a post up game. Again, see height. He's very god down there. Inside out basketball benefits everyone. No one seems to know that around here. It's like Deke never played here or something. And Joe brings it defensively, like 4 times a year. Joe is in no way the answer for us. I personally don't feel he is even a piece. At least not for us. He's been a sacred cow for far too long. I don't know if knows how to play real basketball anymore. He's been dribbling for so long now... his game is just not growing. He's regressed as a player. He's not the man. Never was. Rashard Lewis on the other hand... he was a first option with Ray Allen on the floor. Could you say the same for Joe? I can't.

Edited by TroyMcClure

I could make a very solid argument that not one of those guys would have cracked our 8 man rotation this past season. Certainly not one would have had a chance in hell of starting for us unless somebody was hurt.

Well sure, but we have a two #2 overall picks and a #3 over all pick making up 3/5 of our starting 5. Our other 2 starters were both taken at #17 or higher.

Our starters are supposed to be studs conisdering where they were drafted.

Sund never had a pick inside the top 10.

Well sure, but we have a two #2 overall picks and a #3 over all pick making up 3/5 of our starting 5. Our other 2 starters were both taken at #17 or higher.

Our starters are supposed to be studs conisdering where they were drafted.

Sund never had a pick inside the top 10.

Given the lack of top ten picks . . . . . makes him look better all the time. I do agree he is a lifer but ultimately it is too early to tell. We will know more by the time training camp rolls around.

That's not entirely true, and you know it. THe city of Seattle loved the Sonics for over 2 decades. Sure, they needed an arena, but guys like Sund sucked the life out of the city. With a guy like him at the top, the city realized the ownership had totally given up and they decided to let the owners walk. If they had won on the court, which is what a GM should do, they would have gotten a new stadium. He was there the last 7 years. Plenty of time to turn it around. But Rick Sund doesn't care about that. There's always another job in another city. I hate these NBA "lifer" chumps like Woodson, BK, and Sund.

Joe Johnson

Salary: 1 year remaining 14.9mill

21.4ppg-4.4reb-5.8assist .360 3P%

Hedo Turkoglu

Salary: 1 year remaining player option 7.3mill

16.8ppg-5.3reb-4.9assist .356 3P%

Rashard Lewis

Salary: 4 Years remaining 18.8mill-20.5mill-22.5mill-23.7mill

17.7ppg-5.7reb-2.6assist .397 3P%

Hitting a few clutch shots in the playoffs does not make you worth that type of money only to play third fiddle to Dwight and Hedo. As far as I can remember Robert Horry never made that type of money. Put down the pipe if you think a 18 and 6 player is worth 20 million especially when it precludes his small market team from resigning Hedo next season who makes the team run and oh yea he's making more than that Dwight fellla.

Edited by MaCeCase