• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pick the Picker

Swatguy

Who should choose the Pick?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

it's Woody's job that's on the line so he should have some say in who he goes to war with.

Combo of GM and Coach with GM having the trumph card.....With the NBA having a structured pay scale for rookies where each pick gets a guaranteed amount of $$ the owners are unimportant. Unlike baseball and football where picks are left to negotiate their own contracts (A QB taken #1 may make $10-$20 mill more then a OL taken #1.

The coach is normally short sighted and interested only in immediate results. If you draft a player on "potential" there is no guarantee that coach will be around to see that player reach their potential.

• Moderators

Coaches get all bent out of shape when the GMs try to tell them how to run the team. Why should the coaches get a say in the GM's job? Getting an opinion is fine but the GM builds the team. I've never seen a coach fired because of bad draft picks.

Coaches get all bent out of shape when the GMs try to tell them how to run the team. Why should the coaches get a say in the GM's job? Getting an opinion is fine but the GM builds the team. I've never seen a coach fired because of bad draft picks.

Coaches get fired all the time for GM mess ups. Mo Cheeks, fired for the Brand deal is one.

Coaches are on the line for what the GM brings.

BK gave Woody an AAU team and Woody is still trying to make Chicken Saled out of it.

I like the Coach being the GM as the head guy.

I'd rather have the GM being a numbers guy and the Coach responsible for the personnel. Let the coach get his guys.

Edited by Swatguy

Coaches get fired all the time for GM mess ups. Mo Cheeks, fired for the Brand deal is one.

BK gave Woody an AAU team and Woody is still trying to make Chicken Saled out of it.

I'd rather have the GM being a numbers guy and the Coach responsible for the personnel. Let the coach get his guys.

Being the guy that buys the groceries and cooks the meal has very mixed results. Pitino was allowed to do this in Boston and he made a huge mess of things.

Pat Riley was able to buy the groceries and then when they were all cut up ready for cooking (by SvG) he took over as chef in Miami.

I generally think its a bad idea to have the coach making personnel decissions. You need someone that has more objectivity than a coach who has the closest contact with the players. That doesn't mean the coach shouldn't have a significant voice, but the GM is there to handle personnel, objectively.

The Falcons under Dimitroff and Smith are a good example. Bobby Cox and Shurholz are another good example of how this can really work if both the GM and HC are on the same page.

Have you ever heard of Mike Dunleavy Sr.? Or Don Nelson for that matter? Often having one guy with all that power leads to disaster. A coaches job is to coach the team to it's talent not have a team to his coaching ability. Look at George Karl for example, his teams are usually run and gun teams with a lack of defensive emphasis. His GM gives him Chauncey Billups a defensive guard who can run a halfcourt team and Karl tapers his philosophy to his new personnel and gains instant success nearly having a championship bid whereas he was bowing out in the first round before in less than 6 games. Just let the GM do his job and the coach if he's up to snuff will maximize that potential.

• Moderators
Being the guy that buys the groceries and cooks the meal has very mixed results. Pitino was allowed to do this in Boston and he made a huge mess of things.

Pat Riley was able to buy the groceries and then when they were all cut up ready for cooking (by SvG) he took over as chef in Miami.

I generally think its a bad idea to have the coach making personnel decissions. You need someone that has more objectivity than a coach who has the closest contact with the players. That doesn't mean the coach shouldn't have a significant voice, but the GM is there to handle personnel, objectively.

The Falcons under Dimitroff and Smith are a good example. Bobby Cox and Shurholz are another good example of how this can really work if both the GM and HC are on the same page.

Agreed. The last thing I want to do is give Woodson more power over this organization. The GM should value and incorporate input from the coach but the GM needs to be the one making the picks. Guys who wear both hats like Rick Pitino and Mike Dunleavy tend to have real problems. Too many coaches lose perspective on the big picture because they are concerned about winning this year. That tends to lead to too many moves like trading Joe Johnson for Tony Delk and Rodney Rodgers. Those are vets who carry over the hump to the playoffs but then you end up paying for that for years. (Sometimes you also see this tunnel vision in assigning minutes to vets over young up and coming players). I am with frosgrim that the GM needs to be in charge of personnel and work with the coach to make that work.