• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Amare for Smith rumors seem to be heating up according to ESPN!

JTB

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I think about it, Smith has developed too much in Atlanta to give up on him for some old friend of Joe's.

Are y'all forgetting the playoffs???

I think most of you are ignoring the fact that Joe can't lead a team to where we wanna go. We need that superstar that can compete with the Lebrons and Howards out there.

Are y'all forgetting the playoffs???

I think most of you are ignoring the fact that Joe can't lead a team to where we wanna go. We need that superstar that can compete with the Lebrons and Howards out there.

I think you're ignoring the fact that Nash was the suns superstar and had back to back mvp's while amare was the second option. Amare still hasn't proven that he is a legit superstar, which is why he wants to be traded in the first place.

Trading Smith for Amare is a potential disaster considering Amare and Joe are going to be FA's at the end of the season. We would probably lose one of them.

I don't think you make the move without an extension for Amare and without Joe giving his blessing and saying that he'll re-sign in Atlanta.

I don't think you make the move without an extension for Amare and without Joe giving his blessing and saying that he'll re-sign in Atlanta.

Yeah thats very true. Also I think the asg and sund has gotten alot smarter and it showed with crawford. If we did get amare i know the hawks will make him sign an extension or tell him he has to agree and sign to an extension before we trade for him. (the asg and sund era seem a lot smarter than the asg and billy knight era)

I think you're ignoring the fact that Nash was the suns superstar and had back to back mvp's while amare was the second option. Amare still hasn't proven that he is a legit superstar, which is why he wants to be traded in the first place.

Amare is a multiple All-Star and has made 1st team All-NBA. He was definitely the 1st option on offense before Shaq came. He was averaging over 20 ppg in his second season before Nash even got there.

Amare is a multiple All-Star and has made 1st team All-NBA. He was definitely the 1st option on offense before Shaq came. He was averaging over 20 ppg in his second season before Nash even got there.

We need to make this trade for *my* sake.

I'm already at risk for heart disease, due to my rich diet, and Josh Smith's perimeter "shooting" is guaranteed to give me a coronary. I love him, but give me Amare!

Would love to not have to give up Teague, though. Where's the Dieselputer?

I would also be okay with the Marvin packages for Amare, but would like to keep Horford. Bring one of Smoove or Horford off the bench.

Trading Smith for Amare is a potential disaster considering Amare and Joe are going to be FA's at the end of the season. We would probably lose one of them.

but that would also open up major cap space for us to be players that year as well. There is so much uncertainty with there possibly being a lockout in 2011 that a move like this is basically a move to try and get to the finals and a chance to play for a ship next season and then if one or both walk we retool .One of the worst things a franchise can do is be afraid to go for it all . I look at this like the Bulls situation of 05-07 . They made the first rd one year and then the semifinals the second year. Everyone thought they would go hard after KG(who they couldve gotten) but instead decided to use cap to get Ben Wallace because that wouldnt require giving up any of there young players . Now today Hinrich on the block ,Gordon may walk for nothing ,Deng is a 71 million dollar bust ,and Ben Wallace was one of the worst signings in a long while .

At a certain point Sund has to decide how far does he think we can get with our current group. I listened to his interview on the radio and he said that we had to try and catch the teams in front of us while staying ahead of the team behind us and the gap for the teams in front of us is much larger. If we want to compete for titles then we have to consider acquiring an Amare or a Bosh.This window of opportunity wont be open forever .

but that would also open up major cap space for us to be players that year as well. There is so much uncertainty with there possibly being a lockout in 2011 that a move like this is basically a move to try and get to the finals and a chance to play for a ship next season and then if one or both walk we retool .One of the worst things a franchise can do is be afraid to go for it all . I look at this like the Bulls situation of 05-07 . They made the first rd one year and then the semifinals the second year. Everyone thought they would go hard after KG(who they couldve gotten) but instead decided to use cap to get Ben Wallace because that wouldnt require giving up any of there young players . Now today Hinrich on the block ,Gordon may walk for nothing ,Deng is a 71 million dollar bust ,and Ben Wallace was one of the worst signings in a long while .

At a certain point Sund has to decide how far does he think we can get with our current group. I listened to his interview on the radio and he said that we had to try and catch the teams in front of us while staying ahead of the team behind us and the gap for the teams in front of us is much larger. If we want to compete for titles then we have to consider acquiring an Amare or a Bosh.This window of opportunity wont be open forever .

QFT and welcome to the board.

the trade would be a disaster if amare doesn't sign an extention with the trade. BUT if he does sign an extention, then we will at least have him after next season, and i would suspect would add more incentive for jj to stay (moreso than with smoove and status quo still being here), so long as asg can pony up a competitve enough $$ offer. i don't know if they could afford both of them, especially with crawford, but if they could, we'd have the best offseason in the league. jj and amare are 2 of the top 5 fa in 2010. i would hope they would trade crawford next offseason if his contract would be the only roadblock standing in the way of keeping jj and amare.

The guy hasn't played a minute for us and I'm of the opinion that it would make me sick to my stomach if we traded him (Teague that is). If we're talking about Smith and maybe Mo Evans, Randolph Morris for Amare then I'm all for it assuming that Amare passes the physical and signs an extension but the minute they ask for Teague the deal would be off for me.

Oh my goodness if we gave up Jeff Teague and Josh Smith to get Amare I'd be through with this team.

First of all, again it doesn't even make sense trading Smoove for AMare straight up. The way this team is built, Horford is pretty much stuck at Center. And the only way we can get away with that on defense is with the help defense of Smoove.

You replace Smoove with Amare and we'd have one of the worse defensive front courts in the NBA. That would negate anything he could bring offensively over Smoove which would probably be 6-7 more PPG. That 6-7 more PPG would easily be negated by about 10+ more PPG we'd give up

We were the youngest team in the NBA to make the 2nd round of the playoffs last year. We were the 5th youngest team in the NBA.

Adding Teague we are even younger. It makes no sense to break up this young nucleus of talent with worlds of potential to land Amare.

Championship window? Defense wins championships, and Amare would make our defense worse. People need to stop thinking in terms of fantasy sports and video games. Amare is a more productive offensive player than Smoove but it would severely damage our defense with how the team is currently constructed.

Edited by BusBoyIsBack

We were the youngest team in the NBA to make the 2nd round of the playoffs last year. We were the 5th youngest team in the NBA.

Adding Teague we are even younger. It makes no sense to break up this young nucleus of talent with worlds of potential to land Amare.

Championship window? Defense wins championships, and Amare would make our defense worse. People need to stop thinking in terms of fantasy sports and video games. Amare is a more productive offensive player than Smoove but it would severely damage our defense with how the team is currently constructed.

QFT and welcome to the board.

thanks its a tough decision but I hear people saying how we may lose Joe anyway so how about a calculated move to try and play for the East crown next year.If it works its our first appearance and if it doesnt we get cap space (if we dont extend ) and we are right in the thick of things next summer . If we extend we have one of the best cores in the east with Amare,Joe,and Al and that will attract veteran playmakers down the line . You cant be reactionary but you certainly cant bank on solely internal growth either when everyone else around you is making moves for all stars and such either.

I think Amare would be a great to help Al work on his pick and roll game . Joe and Bibby are good in the pick and roll and Sund said Crawford was great in the pick and roll too. We have someone in which to attack Cleveland and Orlando with that their guards will actually have to help on. Orlando romped through the east forcing everyone to adjust to their style until they met the Lakers who forced Orlando to adjust to their style . I think a healthy Amare would give us that .

thanks its a tough decision but I hear people saying how we may lose Joe anyway so how about a calculated move to try and play for the East crown next year.If it works its our first appearance and if it doesnt we get cap space (if we dont extend ) and we are right in the thick of things next summer . If we extend we have one of the best cores in the east with Amare,Joe,and Al and that will attract veteran playmakers down the line . You cant be reactionary but you certainly cant bank on solely internal growth either when everyone else around you is making moves for all stars and such either.

I think Amare would be a great to help Al work on his pick and roll game . Joe and Bibby are good in the pick and roll and Sund said Crawford was great in the pick and roll too. We have someone in which to attack Cleveland and Orlando with that their guards will actually have to help on. Orlando romped through the east forcing everyone to adjust to their style until they met the Lakers who forced Orlando to adjust to their style . I think a healthy Amare would give us that .

We've competed with Orlando with crap at PG. With the addition of Teague and Crawford, and the departure of Hedo, Lee, Battie, and potentially Gortat, we could just be about even with them.

There is no need to blow up the team like that.

We can hire coaches to help Al on the pick and roll game. Who's going to help Al on defense when he's going up against Bigs on the glass and in the post? Certainly not Amare who thinks defense is optional and even when he gives effort is not even close to the force that Smith is at help defense.

Why would Joe Johnson leave? When has he given indication that he has an ego like Lebron? And what bigger market would he move to? Joe moved to Atlanta because he thought he could be a 1a on a contending team. Why would he give up on that dream?

Edited by BusBoyIsBack

Defensive metrics, such as they exist in basketball, put Smith and Amare about even. Smith gets blocks, but I've never thought blocks were a good indicator of defense. They're just pretty.

How many young teams can you name that kept 4-5 young players together for years ? That pretty much is a fantasy video game way of thinking . That they all will grow at the same rate and that they all will reach their potential.

It would be pretty naive of Sund to think that all our team needs is seasoning.

Potential doesnt win championships and its not like Amare is 30+ hes 27 .

How would Amare make our defense worse he blocks shots at the same rate and is a pretty good help defender in his own right. We would trade away some perimeter defense versatility but add a player who we could go to when our outside shots are not falling. We are talking about someone who lives in the paint who makes over 80% fta and is top ten in the league in fta .

Amare would actually balance the way this team plays and I would rather balance it out and take my shot now with flexibility to quickly retool than to sit back in the middle of the pack and watch our window close .