• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Magic unlikely to match offers for Gortat

exodus

The Magic aren't expected to be able to match offers for restricted free-agent center Marcin Gortat.

Gortat made just $770,000 this past season, and Orlando general manager Otis Smith said that the team would be out of the running to retain him if the offers "were north of 5 [$5 million per season.]"

Houston seems like a possible fit for Gortat with news of Yao Ming's latest serious health setback.

Via Orlando Sentinel

I think the first order of business is to throw the full MLE at Gortat and see what happens. No matter what else the Hawks do they aren't going to be a legit threat in the East unless they shore up their interior D and rebounding.

This guy has shown flashes vs Clev in the playoffs but so did Solo last year vs Boston. Id be very careful here, we could get stuck with a bad contract.

I'll take Gortat over King Solomon any day. Give Marcin whatever he wants, especially if you lose Zaza.

:newspaper:

I think the first order of business is to throw the full MLE at Gortat and see what happens. No matter what else the Hawks do they aren't going to be a legit threat in the East unless they shore up their interior D and rebounding.

agreed, especially with having shaq and dwight in the east now...and gortat is used to playing against dwight in practice.

Actually, who does Houston target for a starting center?

Gortat or Zaza? Someone else? Sheed?

Then comes the problem of San Antonio. They supposedly want Z, but maybe they go after Gortat if Houston gets Zaza?

In all, Houston is going to be stiff competition for both centers.

Actually, who does Houston target for a starting center?

Gortat or Zaza? Someone else? Sheed?

Then comes the problem of San Antonio. They supposedly want Z, but maybe they go after Gortat if Houston gets Zaza?

In all, Houston is going to be stiff competition for both centers.

Ive heard Dalembert and Thad Young for Tmac is possible.

I hope we are very careful with what we offer to Gortat. I think he is a more athletic defensive version of Zaza.

Why would we have to be careful when we can't offer more than the MLE? I don't get it. We are one of the worst defensive rebounding teams in the league and our interior D is weak, especially against big post players.

Per 36 Zaza averaged 6.4 defensive rebounds per game and .64 blocks

per 36 Gortat averaged 8.6 defensive rebounds and 2.4 blocks

This comparison isn't even remotely close. Gortat would be a far better option assuming we were choosing between the two.

Agreed.

Can Houston throw anything more than the MLE and a chance of starting at him?

Of course, that chance at starting is going to be a big factor.

Rumors are he likes NY and NY likes him. He would start next to Jordan Hill and be a cheaper and bigger replacement to David Lee. He may not upgrade the rebounding but he should upgrade the defense. They need some shot blocking and length in the paint.

Duhon / FA

Hughes / T. Douglas

Chandler / Gallanari

Hill / Harrington / Jefferies

Gortat / Darko / Curry

The Knicks could find there was into the playoffs next year and me even more appealing to L. James, and others, in 2010.

Why would we have to be careful when we can't offer more than the MLE?

We are over the cap when you account for cap holds. All we have is the MLE to offer other teams FA's if we want to keep the rights to our FAs like Bibby, ZaZa, Marvin, etc.

If we renounce the rights to ALL of our free agents then we have only have $12 mill in cap space. We could burn $7 mill on Gortat but then we would have only $5 mill and the MLE to fill out the roster since we could not go over the cap to sign other team's FA.

It can be done if we REALY want Gortat at all cost. It will cost us the rights to Marvin and Chillz (their cap holds are so high they would have to be renounced), and we definately lose at least one of Bibby and ZaZa.

I would prefer to try to offer him the MLE so we have the flexibility to sign our own free agents rather then puting all our eggs the Gortat's basket.

Edited by coachx

We are over the cap when you account for cap holds. All we have is the MLE to offer other teams FA's.

Which is exactly why we don't have to be careful. We don't have to worry about overpaying for Gortat because we aren't able to.

• Moderators
Why would we have to be careful when we can't offer more than the MLE? I don't get it. We are one of the worst defensive rebounding teams in the league and our interior D is weak, especially against big post players.

Per 36 Zaza averaged 6.4 defensive rebounds per game and .64 blocks

per 36 Gortat averaged 8.6 defensive rebounds and 2.4 blocks

This comparison isn't even remotely close. Gortat would be a far better option assuming we were choosing between the two.

Agreed. Make the offer to Gortat ASAP. Also, meet with Zaza right away as well. Having both back is not a bad thing.

• Premium Member
We are over the cap when you account for cap holds. All we have is the MLE to offer other teams FA's.

If we renounce the rights to ALL of our free agents then we only have $12 mill in cap space. We could burn $7 mill on Gortat but then we would have only $5 mill and the MLE to fill out the roster since we could not go over the cap to sign other team's FA.

Just that much more motivation to get deals w/ our own done, or not and renounced, ASAP. Sund, however, has not shown himself to be a speedy negotiator in our abbreviated history with him. Marvin's situation in particular isn't likely to help that.

Also, according to storytellers, for all practical purposes, Houston's already well over their cap for the coming season ($64m)...

http://www.storytellerscontracts.info/reso...-09salaries.htm