• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

favorite burger in the ATL?

drzachary

I've been burgin' a lot lately, and have been working on a list of where all the best burgers in town are. Here's my quick ranking:

1) Holeman & Finch. Without a doubt, miles above #2. This is the best burger anyone will ever eat.

2) Vortex, for attention to detail (proper cooking) and sheer variety, and good quality ingredients.

3) EARL, well-seasoned, classic burgers. Their black bean burger is also a revelation.

Honorable mentions: Ann's Snack Shack. The Wall St Journal called this the best burger in the world, but from what I've gathered, it's more about the experience and the quantity than the quality. Highlander and Brick Store have solid pub burgers.

Anyone else out there have any favorites?

I really can't stress the importance of the Holeman & Finch burger enough. It's a real eye-opener. It is Plato's archetype of a burger.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great topic.

I too really like Brick Store and the Vortex. Ill have to check out Holeman & Finch.

On the cheaper side, you really can't beat 5 Guys.

I like the 5-guys burgers a lot, but the fries are an abomination. They're BROWN, which means they didn't soak them to remove the starch. Horrible, horrible fries (yet people seem to love them.)

At Holeman & Finch, be advised that the burger is made in very limited quantities during the week (they are ground fresh and don't keep.) They can be acquired at "Burger Time" (which is 10pm and later) or during their Sunday Lunch service (much easier to get them then.) I think it's $10 for a burger (they are double cheeseburgers with grilled onions and homemade pickles, on their own homemade buns) and perfect fries, with homemade ketchup and mustard.

If you go for dinner, you can get all sorts of great things while you wait for Burger Time: smoky lardo (cured pure pork fat, looks like frosting), lots of other charcuterie, veal brains, marrow gratin, the list goes on and on... It's a good place to have a porkgasm.

Vortex burgers are pretty dope! EARL & 5 Guys are right there too

I've been wanting to try Ann's Snack Shack, but I've heard she has rules if you want to eat at her place.... something along the lines of only a certain amount of people at a certain time and no cursing...

Don't live in ATL, and I don't care if this is about CONNECTICUT! But I've eaten at the legendary Ted's Steamburgers about three times now. It was on the Travel Channel. :D

What part of Conn? I lived up there for 8 years and all I could find were pizza places (Storrs/Willimantic area).

Goming from Atlanta to Conn was a huge culture shock in terms of eating out options (well other things too).

Ann's Snack Shack. The Wall St Journal called this the best burger in the world, but from what I've gathered, it's more about the experience and the quantity than the quality. Highlander and Brick Store have solid pub burgers.

Thank you for clearing this up once and for all, because I went there recently, and that burger is quite overrated. Besides waiting an hour for a big burger, you have to endure her attitude, which gets old immediately.

And there are only 6 seats.

And you can't sit on the stairs.

And you can't do anything, ever, because she is always in a bad mood. Always.

:helpsmilie:

I've been all over the world, and I have yet to find a better burger than Hardee's/Carl's Jr.

Thank you for clearing this up once and for all, because I went there recently, and that burger is quite overrated. Besides waiting an hour for a big burger, you have to endure her attitude, which gets old immediately.

And there are only 6 seats.

And you can't sit on the stairs.

And you can't do anything, ever, because she is always in a bad mood. Always.

:helpsmilie:

I've been all over the world, and I have yet to find a better burger than Hardee's/Carl's Jr.

Holeman & Finch. Do it.

I must concur with those that said:

Vortex

Flip

and I'll add Johnny Rockets as my chain place.

I like the apple pie with Tillamook cheddar at J.R. Plus it's nice that there's one about 2 blocks from me.

I don't eat fast food burgers, but I love the Vortex.

Ragin Cajun for the win.

I need to try this Holeman & Finch though. Who can wait till 10pm to eat dinner though? I'll have to plan ahead for that one.

Or just go on Sunday.

On the cheaper side, you really can't beat 5 Guys.

Cheaper side? That's an expensive meal to me lol.

About Holeman and Finch, why would they only make the burgers at certain times? You'd think if they were so good they'd make them available all the time.

Cheaper side? That's an expensive meal to me lol.

About Holeman and Finch, why would they only make the burgers at certain times? You'd think if they were so good they'd make them available all the time.

Well.. there are two schools of thought here:

1) They are ground fresh, with the seasonings included. It's very labor-intensive, and you can't store seasoned meat like that without having the salt suck the moisture out (the process known as 'curing'). So they have to be made and then eaten quickly.

2) The more likely reason: manufactured scarcity = good marketing, and high demand!

I've been all over the world, and I have yet to find a better burger than the ones I grill at home.

Fixed. :cheers:

I admit it: I was wrong.

After tasting the piece of perfection I built from scratch and grilled to perfection today, it's safe to say that this debate is over.

Mods: you can close this thread now :cool:

Fixed. :cheers:

I admit it: I was wrong.

After tasting the piece of perfection I built from scratch and grilled to perfection today, it's safe to say that this debate is over.

Mods: you can close this thread now :cool:

A friend of mine forwarded me a link about a new burger place his friend is opening that's going to serve fresh ground burgers like holeman and finch. I think it'll open later this summer downtown. I'm interested in checking it out. I like the "grindhouse" play on words.

http://www.grindhouseburgers.com

A friend of mine forwarded me a link about a new burger place his friend is opening that's going to serve fresh ground burgers like holeman and finch. I think it'll open later this summer downtown. I'm interested in checking it out. I like the "grindhouse" play on words.

http://www.grindhouseburgers.com

Someone mentioned this to me recently. I look forward to trying the 2nd best burger in Atlanta :wink: