• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This team is not going to land good big men in FA..

Plainview1981

It does suck. We can take comfort in a few things. We have improved and could improve in spite of not being one of the top places players want to come to. In years past we were a bottom 5 destination. Now we are approaching top ten status.

The other thing that gives me comfort is seeing the top teams screw up. Orlando essentially traded Turk and Gortat for Vince Carter. They will still be good, but did they improve? Two steps back if you ask me. Also, Shaq with Lebron is a very short window. It's a one year experiment that could be a bit of a disaster. The Celtics signing Sheed will not have much impact, either.

We can only counter by making good decisions that will put us closer to elite level. Could Teague be an impact player? We have to hope for stuff like that.

^^^^^True. Do people not realize that we have 4 key free agents of our own? How in the world would we pursue outside FAs when we have yet to get our own under contract? As it is, our focus is internally and all these signings in the first week are just guys panicking to get what they can before the well drys up. There's still plenty of talent out there that once our cap and salaries are figured out, we can go out and pursue. I mean it's not like we are missing out on premiere NBA players here. What the 11 million dollar 6th man interests you? Or is it the signing of Crazy Pills by the Lakeshow that's got your goat? Oh lemme guess its the career backup signing in big D.

Crawful says relax!!!!

• Premium Member

Hornets are still trying to dump Tyson Chandler's contract. I know he signed a $25 mll deal and now has 2 years left and is said to pull down $11 mil in '09. Anyone know if it would have been possible to deal Speedy and Acie for Chandler instead? As I recall Speedy's contract was for $25 mill also.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Hornets are still trying to dump Tyson Chandler's contract. I know he signed a $25 mll deal and now has 2 years left and is said to pull down $11 mil in '09. Anyone know if it would have been possible to deal Speedy and Acie for Chandler instead? As I recall Speedy's contract was for $25 mill also.

The Hornets have to get under the luxery tax threshold; therefore, the don't want to take on equal salary for a trade. The deal to OKC was the one they wanted to make due to them not having to take all of Tyson's contract back.

You really have to wonder what these GMs and owners are thinking when they make deals that they know will kill them in a couple of years.

In terms of the Hawks getting a big man: Be patient. FA has only just begun and the trade season hasn't really gotten into full swing. It looks to me like Sund has a plan and he's working it the best he can given all the moving pieces he has to juggle.

To the topic of this post, no kidding!

There aren't that many good big men in the NBA to begin with. You can count on one hand the number of legitimate starting centers in the NBA these days. Everyone else are undersized guys who are power forwards that play the position, aging vets that have lost a few steps, or european style centers that are poor rebounders and defenders.

The thing is, the league is adapting to the lack of quality big men out there. More and more teams are using power fowards as undersized centers, and the league is becoming more of a guard oriented league that is much more perimeter oriented. Positions are blurring, and versatility is becoming more important as a characteristic of an NBA player these days. The best center in the game today is a power foward.

With that said, I'd like to see the Hawks be able to add two big men for depth. I think we need one guy who can be a pick and pop player, and I think we need someone that can get us some rebounds off the bench. The Hawks have terrific potential as a pick and roll offensive team, but they don't have that pick and pop guy that can really make it work. I'd love to have a Brad Miller type backing up Al Horford a center. On top of that, I feel the Hawks need someone that is nothing more than a designated rebounder that comes off the bench. I would have loved to have seen Atlanta make a move for Dejuan Blair as he was dropping in the draft. I'd love to have a Reggie Evans type that rebounds like crazy when he is on the floor, offensively and defensively.

Quailty options are going really quick. Quicker than i figured.Most teams arent waiting to ge something done.

I'm sure Sund will find a good backup center. Although his resume on drafting bigs hasn't been too good, I think he will realize that having quality big men on your roster is vital to the team's success. If not free agency, look for the Hawks to go with the trade route.

We've been talking about needing a big for years and Za has been the only answer that we've come up with. To let him go without having a viable backup plan is a significant step backwards. He better have a plan or getting even as far as we did in the playoffs will be a distant memory.

We've been talking about needing a big for years and Za has been the only answer that we've come up with. To let him go without having a viable backup plan is a significant step backwards. He better have a plan or getting even as far as we did in the playoffs will be a distant memory.

I agree. It's not like Za is a force or cog in the middle either. He's a decent center. But signing him, or having someone to replace his production is crucial.