• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's with all the Woodson hating?

chico1

I'm wondering why everyone hates Woodson so much? I mean he is not the best coach in the league, but the fact is we've gotten better every year he has been with this team.

Is there more to this than him just not playing Law and not being able to control Josh's wild antics a little better?

I'll like to hear your input and get more insight on the situation.

I'm wondering why everyone hates Woodson so much? I mean he is not the best coach in the league, but the fact is we've gotten better every year he has been with this team.

Is there more to this than him just not playing Law and not being able to control Josh's wild antics a little better?

Oh boy, this should be interesting....

1. He's an awful game manager as far as minutes for the players.

2. He hasn't shown the ability to develop young players.

3. He has no offensive gameplan or any kind of offensive system.

4. No control over the game, or what his players choose to do on the court (which is why Bibby is so important - another thread)

I don't hate Woodson. Like you stated, we have improved every year with him. That is a tad misleading considering where we were when he started, but it's a fact. He's earned another year with this team....whether it's right or wrong, we shall see.

How can a team full of roleplayers and 19-year-olds not get better over a few years?

exactly. How can an entire team of Lottery picks not improve from 13 freakin wins?

the reason there's so much woody hate is simply because he's one of the worst head coaches in the history of sports. Even the worst of the worst had a positive aspect. Woody has not one positive coaching atribute.

the reason there's so much woody hate is simply because he's one of the worst head coaches in the history of sports. Even the worst of the worst had a positive aspect. Woody has not one positive coaching atribute.

Maybe a bit too harsh. Worst ever?

13, 26, 32 ( A SHYYTLOAD OF KEY INJURIES THAT YEAR) , 37 and great playoff series, well at least the home games) 47 and a 1st round win, loss in 2nd round with alot of guys hurt. The funny thing is nationally or at least Philly and Ny fans always tell me Mike Woodson would be welcomed to coach their teams anyday.

Edited by NJHAWK

• Premium Member
13, 26, 32 ( A SHYYTLOAD OF KEY INJURIES THAT YEAR) , 37 and great playoff series, well at least the home games) 47 and a 1st round win, loss in 2nd round with alot of guys hurt. The funny thing is nationally or at least Philly and Ny fans always tell me Mike Woodson would be welcomed to coach their teams anyday.

I'm not exactly a big Woodson fan myself, but I have to admit that he takes waaaaay more than his fair share of blame when things go wrong, but NO credit when things go well.

Maybe a bit too harsh. Worst ever?

i've never seen a coach that brought nothing to a team. There's some guys that suck but atleast have a great relationship with their players. There are some that suck but atleast has his team scoring points or gives everybody on the roster a chance to showcase their skills. Woody brings nothing,no offense, no defense,no good player coach chemistry, no player development,no IQ, he's just a big zero.

That's always been my experience too. Fans from other teams would be glad to have him, but here the guy is despised!!! I wonder if the man can go out to a nice dinner with his family without being heckled?

Other players around the league are probably aware of his ineptness... Which is one reason why players aren't signing here unless they have little or no other choices. This team has been together for about 5 seasons now and they still make one fundamental mistake after another one. They have no unity on the offensive end and only pass when they're in trouble.

Despite what some say, this is not a defensive team either. Teams shoot 46% against the Hawks and the Hawks give up 96PPG. This team wants off decent talent and lack of quality teams in the east. Woodson shouldn't get credit for that. Often, this team squeaks by even the worse of teams.

That's always been my experience too. Fans from other teams would be glad to have him, but here the guy is despised!!! I wonder if the man can go out to a nice dinner with his family without being heckled?

because other fans don't see him coach every game. all they see is the final outcome and our record. Then when he gets broken down by former NBA players all u see is "dribble dribble dribble, shoot with a hand in your face" lol

Players still don't want to sign here probably because they know Woody sucks.

exactly. How can an entire team of Lottery picks not improve from 13 freakin wins?

He can get this team to play some defense... or at least try on D. The only person on this team that doesn't seem to love Woodson is Josh Smith.

li wouldn't say hate he is a decent coach at best nothing special the reason he isn't LIKED is because of his playcalling and in game substitution and gameplan maybe if he didnt ISO Joe 90 percent of the time all he needs to do is work on is this and he should be alright his defense is on point though

• Premium Member
He can get this team to play some defense... or at least try on D. The only person on this team that doesn't seem to love Woodson is Josh Smith.

No one respects Woodson on our team. The only reason any of our players like playing under Woodson is because he basically lets the players he likes do whatever they want... Just look at Bibby, any time Woodson says something to Bibby, Bibby barks back, glares at him like he is a retarded dingbat, or just ignores him... The only reason Bibby likes playing here is because from day one Woodson basically admitted publicly that the team will do whatever Bibby wants to do on offense... Same thing with Joe Johnson and Flip Murray... Anyone who thinks that Crawford will change his style of play by coming to the Hawks is nuts. Woody ball is: If you can score, you are free to do whatever the heck you like whenever you like... There is absolutely no system, players who are not scorers basically have no idea what the heck their role is on offense, and considering we've had the same group of guys for over three years, that is pretty insane.

The guy "excels" on defense and yet our team has been a better offensive team than defensive team every single year he has been here... All things considered it is pretty obvious that this team wins because of talent. The truth is though, that at this level, elite coaching doesn't necessarily make that much of a difference from bad coaching. If you have the more talented team of professional basketball players, you will win more often than not, regardless of coaching. There have been many borderline great teams that have had crap coaches over the year, heck Cleveland last year is example number 1... Coaching matters if you are making a title run... if you are looking to get into the playoffs, talent is all you need.

No one respects Woodson on our team. The only reason any of our players like playing under Woodson is because he basically lets the players he likes do whatever they want... Just look at Bibby, any time Woodson says something to Bibby, Bibby barks back, glares at him like he is a retarded dingbat, or just ignores him... The only reason Bibby likes playing here is because from day one Woodson basically admitted publicly that the team will do whatever Bibby wants to do on offense... Same thing with Joe Johnson and Flip Murray... Anyone who thinks that Crawford will change his style of play by coming to the Hawks is nuts. Woody ball is: If you can score, you are free to do whatever the heck you like whenever you like... There is absolutely no system, players who are not scorers basically have no idea what the heck their role is on offense, and considering we've had the same group of guys for over three years, that is pretty insane.

The guy "excels" on defense and yet our team has been a better offensive team than defensive team every single year he has been here... All things considered it is pretty obvious that this team wins because of talent. The truth is though, that at this level, elite coaching doesn't necessarily make that much of a difference from bad coaching. If you have the more talented team of professional basketball players, you will win more often than not, regardless of coaching. There have been many borderline great teams that have had crap coaches over the year, heck Cleveland last year is example number 1... Coaching matters if you are making a title run... if you are looking to get into the playoffs, talent is all you need.

I keep reading about Bibby yelling, cursing, and doing everything to Woody shy of fornicating with his wife. I've never seen any of this. I'm wondering where folks are getting this from. Besides, if it were true, i would think Woodson would've let him go and picked up another PG instead of talking him up all this time and allowing Sund to give him a three year deal.

I do agree with your comment about how elite coaching makes little difference at this level of basketball. i think at this point the main job of a coach is to keep the team together and to motivate the hell out of these rich, spoiled, and pretentious bastards (not all of them but most.)

I keep reading about Bibby yelling, cursing, and doing everything to Woody shy of fornicating with his wife. I've never seen any of this. I'm wondering where folks are getting this from. Besides, if it were true, i would think Woodson would've let him go and picked up another PG instead of talking him up all this time and allowing Sund to give him a three year deal.

I do agree with your comment about how elite coaching makes little difference at this level of basketball. i think at this point the main job of a coach is to keep the team together and to motivate the hell out of these rich, spoiled, and pretentious bastards (not all of them but most.)

um maybe because Bibby saved his job and that's all he cares about.

• Premium Member

Sorry but he's mediocre at best. He's said to be a defensive coach yet his teams are routinely ranked near the bottom in defense. Now you have to attribute some of that on talent but the bulk of that has to go on Woody's inability to get guys to perform.