• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What Kind of Minutes Will Teague Get Now?

BusBoyIsBack

Yeah, but Lee was not even in the rotation when the season began. He was behind Pietrus, Bogans and Reddick on the depth chart at SG. Then Pietrus got hurt, Bogans got hurt, Nelson got hurt and Lee got his chance. Next thing you know, Pietrus is out for an extended period, Bogans is traded for Lue to help fill in for Nelson and Lee is outplaying Reddick. He goes from 4th on the depth chart to starter. Lee took advantage of his opportunity and played his way into the starting SG job but there is no way ORL came into the season counting on him.

I agree. When Acie was given opportunities to play, he didn't capitalize on the situation and earn his playing time. For all of the talk that Mike Woodson bury's young players on his bench, he didn't have a problem starting Josh Childress, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Shelden Williams, and Al Horford early in their careers, and Salim Stoudamire played 1200+ minutes as a rookie. Mike Woodson will give a rookie playing time if he earns it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. When Acie was given opportunities to play, he didn't capitalize on the situation and earn his playing time. For all of the talk that Mike Woodson bury's young players on his bench, he didn't have a problem starting Josh Childress, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Shelden Williams, and Al Horford early in their careers, and Salim Stoudamire played 1200+ minutes as a rookie. Mike Woodson will give a rookie playing time if he earns it.

Let me save the haters some time

"yeah but Woody had to play those guys because he had no other choice".

Courtney Lee shot 32% in his first twelve games. I fail to see how that is earning more playing time.

You of all people know that there is more to the game than shooting. What else was he doing those first 12 games? I seem to remember that he was playing pretty good defense, but I don't follow Orlando so I can't say for sure.

Lee had much less competition for minutes than Teague does and it's not close. Whether they were relying on him or not he played 25 minutes per game on a team that made it to the finals.

it isn't like he got off to a hot start either. He shot 32% in 12 games in November. I wonder how much he would have played in december with Woody as coach.

How does the fact that we have better players ahead of Teague than ORL had ahead of Lee bolster the argument that Teague should play more? In addition, God forbid that JJ, Crawford, Bibby and Flip (if he is resigned) all miss significant time next year. If that were to happen though, I'm sure Teague would average 25 mpg for us next year too.

People jump on Woody for not playing Acie but Acie was actually STARTING for us the 3rd game of his rookie season and he continued to start until he hurt his ankle against CHA despite not playing very well. When he came back a few weeks later, Woody started working him back into the rotation and then he fell and hurt his wrist and he was out of the lineup again.

How does the fact that we have better players ahead of Teague than ORL had ahead of Lee bolster the argument that Teague should play more? In addition, God forbid that JJ, Crawford, Bibby and Flip (if he is resigned) all miss significant time next year. If that were to happen though, I'm sure Teague would average 25 mpg for us next year too.

People jump on Woody for not playing Acie but Acie was actually STARTING for us the 3rd game of his rookie season and he continued to start until he hurt his ankle against CHA despite not playing very well. When he came back a few weeks later, Woody started working him back into the rotation and then he fell and hurt his wrist and he was out of the lineup again.

Amen to that! I think that people tend to forget that with their revisionist history. I was among the bigger supporters of Acie here but even I had to finally admit that he was never going to live up to his expectations here.

How does the fact that we have better players ahead of Teague than ORL had ahead of Lee bolster the argument that Teague should play more?

What it means is that Orlando was relying on Lee more going into the season than we are relying on Teague. Petrius has been a bench player most of his career. Ditto Bogans and Redick.

You were the one who brought up the whole "relying" argument.

What it means is that Orlando was relying on Lee more going into the season than we are relying on Teague. Petrius has been a bench player most of his career. Ditto Bogans and Redick.

You were the one who brought up the whole "relying" argument.

You're right but Lee got a DNP in the season opener and only started getting minutes when players ahead of him in the rotation started getting injured. How does the fact that he was getting DNPs behind career backups even remotely suggest that they were "relying" on him in any way?

• Premium Member
Unused Rollover Minutes?

Rolloverminutes2.jpg

Are we talking about Acie's rollover minutes? If so then he better be the day one starter.

Assuming Bibby, JJ, Crawford, Evans and Marvin all remain with the team through the season, I don't see how Teague gets more then 10 minutes a game unless one of those guys goes down with an injury or he really impresses early on.

You have to figure JJ is getting at least 35 minutes, Bibby around 30 (5 minutes less then last year), Crawford at least 25 and Mo around 10-15. Marvin will likely have small forward locked down for 35 minutes a night too.

I think Teague will get 10 minutes a game, 15 max. Remember that a lot of people have said Crawford isnt a true point guard, so I think we will see some Teague-Crawford back courts. I also think we'll need/try Teague against the quick, little point guards that own Bibby.

The other thing I keep telling myself is that I think Bibby will be tradable should his game drop off the planet. His deal wont be for that much money or years, and we'll be able to sell him on his 3-point shooting and leadership.

You're right but Lee got a DNP in the season opener and only started getting minutes when players ahead of him in the rotation started getting injured.

Lee got 20 minutes in his 4th game when Petrius, Bogans and Redick were all healthy. It was a close game too.

In fact Lee played in 12 of 15 games in November. Petrius didn't get hurt until december. Redick was healthy too.

How does the fact that he was getting DNPs behind career backups even remotely suggest that they were "relying" on him in any way?

They went into the season with possibly the weakest 2 guard rotation in the NBA.

Are you trying to win now, develop Teague for the future or maybe some combination of both? The reason I ask is because I would bet my house that Flip would ABUSE Teague right now in a head to head matchup. That is no knock on Teague but Flip is too strong and too experienced to let a young fella like Teague check him. Heck, there are plenty of veteran guards that can't check Flip when he's on his game.

To me, the development of Teague is not a HUGE concern going into this season. If he is ready to play, play him. If he's not, don't.

Name one other playoff caliber team who will be COUNTING ON a rookie playing significant minutes for them next year. The only possible one I can think of is LAC and that would be because Griffin had a SPECTACULAR year as the #1 overall pick in conjunction with Baron Davis staying healthy and returning to his All Star form. If Yao were in the mix, I don't think the Clips would have a legit shot at the playoffs but with HOU scrambling and with PHO possibly looking to rebuild, the 8th seed in the West could be up for grabs.

Excellent post.

Teague's minutes will probably hinge on if he can make things happen on offense or defense. Can he be an impact player, even while playing limited minutes? Can he do that one particular thing that he's known for ( either on offensae or defense ) as soon as he enters a game?

- Shelden couldn't do it, unless he got starter's minutes. As a reserve, he played more like a tenant, than the "landlord". Would get pushed around a lot and outworked for rebounds. But most of all, he wasn't nowhere near the defensive and shot blocking force he was at Duke.

- Salim couldn't do it, because the jumper was too erratic. This guy had one of the greatest shooting seasons in college history by shooting 50% FG and 50% 3FG. Yet, in the NBA, his jumper and his patented running floater was inconsistent as hell.

- Law couldn't do it, because his midrange jumper was broke. That's the same guy who was 1st team all-America his senior year. The same guy that hit big shot after big shot in college. Yet, in the pros, he can't consistently make lay-ups, or shoot as well as Smoove from the outside?

People can talk all about "doghouses" and how Woody must do this or that. Please. All Woody has to do is "stay bald and die".

Nothing is going to be handed to Teague. He's going to have to prove that he deserves playing time. If the Hawks bring Flip back, let he and teague battle for the 2nd string PG spot.

I mean, it would be like Phil Jackson being mandated to play Adam Morrison. You have Ariza and Walton ahead of him on the depth chart, yet, management wants to develop Morrison, so they mandate that you play him?

Forget that.

I'd do exactly what Phil did . . and leave hil glued to the bench. If he wants PT, prove your worth in practice and in training camp. And when gametime comes, be able to do that "one thing" that you are known for . . . and make an immeadiate IMPACT when doing it.

We are NOT a developing team that's trying to make it to playoff level anymore. We're one more playoff appearance from being a perennial playoff team that has a "window of opportunity" to at least get to the NBA Finals.

The mentality has to change a little, when looking at the Hawks. If Teague earns playing time, that's great. If he doesn't, you let him rot on the bench, and play the players who will lead you to victory.

Excellent post.

Teague's minutes will probably hinge on if he can make things happen on offense or defense. Can he be an impact player, even while playing limited minutes? Can he do that one particular thing that he's known for ( either on offensae or defense ) as soon as he enters a game?

- Shelden couldn't do it, unless he got starter's minutes. As a reserve, he played more like a tenant, than the "landlord". Would get pushed around a lot and outworked for rebounds. But most of all, he wasn't nowhere near the defensive and shot blocking force he was at Duke.

- Salim couldn't do it, because the jumper was too erratic. This guy had one of the greatest shooting seasons in college history by shooting 50% FG and 50% 3FG. Yet, in the NBA, his jumper and his patented running floater was inconsistent as hell.

- Law couldn't do it, because his midrange jumper was broke. That's the same guy who was 1st team all-America his senior year. The same guy that hit big shot after big shot in college. Yet, in the pros, he can't consistently make lay-ups, or shoot as well as Smoove from the outside?

People can talk all about "doghouses" and how Woody must do this or that. Please. All Woody has to do is "stay bald and die".

Nothing is going to be handed to Teague. He's going to have to prove that he deserves playing time. If the Hawks bring Flip back, let he and teague battle for the 2nd string PG spot.

I mean, it would be like Phil Jackson being mandated to play Adam Morrison. You have Ariza and Walton ahead of him on the depth chart, yet, management wants to develop Morrison, so they mandate that you play him?

Forget that.

I'd do exactly what Phil did . . and leave hil glued to the bench. If he wants PT, prove your worth in practice and in training camp. And when gametime comes, be able to do that "one thing" that you are known for . . . and make an immeadiate IMPACT when doing it.

We are NOT a developing team that's trying to make it to playoff level anymore. We're one more playoff appearance from being a perennial playoff team that has a "window of opportunity" to at least get to the NBA Finals.

The mentality has to change a little, when looking at the Hawks. If Teague earns playing time, that's great. If he doesn't, you let him rot on the bench, and play the players who will lead you to victory.

Well done.

Rookies need to earn their time. It's a simple as that. Just throwing Teague out there because he's more athletic and quicker than Bibby is not in the best interest of the team. Unless he proves otherwise.

Assuming Bibby, JJ, Crawford, Evans and Marvin all remain with the team through the season, I don't see how Teague gets more then 10 minutes a game unless one of those guys goes down with an injury or he really impresses early on.

You have to figure JJ is getting at least 35 minutes, Bibby around 30 (5 minutes less then last year), Crawford at least 25 and Mo around 10-15. Marvin will likely have small forward locked down for 35 minutes a night too.

That's what Im afraid of. To me Teague should get more minutes than Mo Evans. No offense to Evans but he's not worth stunting the growth of Teague.

Well done.

Rookies need to earn their time. It's a simple as that. Just throwing Teague out there because he's more athletic and quicker than Bibby is not in the best interest of the team. Unless he proves otherwise.

Im not saying he should start over Bibby by any means, but he's a great change of pace guy and bringing Teague and Crawford off the bench together perhaps could really ignite our bench and possibly even more than a Flip Murray/Mo Evans combo could have ever done.

Edited by BusBoyIsBack

• Moderators

If I were coaching the Hawks, I would set aside at least 8 minutes per game for Teague to play at PG and then script those times - like 4 minutes at each of the end of the 1st /beginning of 2nd and 3rd/4th quarters. Give him a small role but a clearly defined one and keep that consistent for some time so he has the chance to adjust and earn his way into more playing time.

Of course, I would not sign Flip if I had any faith whatsoever in Teague being ready to contribute.