• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

JJ: Extend his contract this year or next year?

WraithSentinel

JJ: Extend his contract this year or next year?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Admin

With the economy and the salary cap getting lower players are now afraid of 2010. I think it would be good for us to lock him up this year. I would try to get him at the same amount as his current contract. A lot of teams will be after him next season. I would rather have that worry behind me.

If Rick Sund feels confident that we'll improve from last year's performance, I think he should wait. Joe is not gonna leave the Hawks if we keep on improving. Why would he leave a place where he is appreciated by the fans, has a big role, in a team that improves, and get the money he deserves as opposed to go to a place where his role is decreased and his salary gets lessen just to win a championship(when we are close to contending) or go to a team that is on a rebuilding stage and get about the same amount of money we will probably offer him?

Kinda a double-edged sword here. For us it could be beneficial to sign him now, but we might be able to get him cheaper next season as teams are more hesitant to give out big, long deals.

For him, it would give him security that he could make x amount over y years, however he might not get as much than if he does well this season and gets either a pay raise from the Hawks or one from another team.

I say sign him this year so you don't have to worry about the free agency minefield.

• Premium Member
I would try to get him at the same amount as his current contract. A lot of teams will be after him next season.

Lots of luck with that, cap. I think we both know that just doesn't happen short of Player X having a significant set-back.

SIGN HIM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! Get it out the way so we don't have to worry about it anymore!

If the organization has the ability to sign him, sign him now!!! I tell you right now every team in the league will be after Joe next summer!!! Why? because out of the shooting guards, he is in the top three that will be available. Wade and Ray Allen are the other two and they are not going anywhere.

If Rick Sund feels confident that we'll improve from last year's performance, I think he should wait. Joe is not gonna leave the Hawks if we keep on improving. Why would he leave a place where he is appreciated by the fans, has a big role, in a team that improves, and get the money he deserves as opposed to go to a place where his role is decreased and his salary gets lessen just to win a championship(when we are close to contending) or go to a team that is on a rebuilding stage and get about the same amount of money we will probably offer him?

Why would he leave?

For the same reason he left a championship contending club in Phoenix, to come to a 13-win team.

The Money.

I've said from the jump that the Hawks need to lock up JJ with a 5yr - 80 to 90 million dollar deal. Anything less, and he'll probably walk.

And there will be teams lining up to get him and pay him big money, if he's a UFA in 2010.

Don't think for one minute that teams like Minnesota, New Jersey, and New York won't be all over JJ, as soon as they see that they can't get Lebron or Wade.

Minnesota especiallly, may go right after JJ from the jump. Their frontlinr is set with Jefferson and Love. They have their PG in Flynn. And they have a defensive wing player in Brewer.

All they need is a versatile wing shooter/scorer to round out the starting 5.

Guess who fits that description?

Why would he leave?

For the same reason he left a championship contending club in Phoenix, to come to a 13-win team.

The Money.

Well he also left to be "the man" and an all-star. However, the difference between us and Phoenix is that they were not willing to pay the money whereas I believe that we are. Joe really built this team and I can not see him going to another rebuilding situation. Once you couple that with the fact that we can offer Joe the most money, I think he will stay either way.

As a last comment, one poster correctly pointed out that both sides should be motivated to make a move this year.

Sund would be a fool not to sign him today if JJ were willing to listen - and to a max contract if need be.

I'm telling you guys, that Shaq trade freed up some money for Cleveland to resign Lebron and bring in Joe Joe Johnson as well if they can't get Bosh.

Sund would be a fool not to sign him today if JJ were willing to listen - and to a max contract if need be.

I'm telling you guys, that Shaq trade freed up some money for Cleveland to resign Lebron and bring in Joe Joe Johnson as well if they can't get Bosh.

Yeah . . . I forgot all about Cleveland. And say they lose LeBron. They're definitely going to be looking at a star ( or a couple of star caliber players ) to replace what Lebron did.

So if they lose LeBron . . . Bosh + JJ may = LeBron, in their eyes.

Of course D'Antoni with the Knicks will be like a crackhead, trying to get either Amare or JJ

He put the Hawks back on the map.

( edit ) My biggest fear, is to see him traded for the same reason Nique got traded. I can see it now . . . the Hawks trading JJ for a guy like Kevin Martin and a draft pick, because he is younger. and can shoot the ball.

Then Kevin gets here, and plays mediocre basketball, and no defense.

Edited by northcyde

Yeah . . . I forgot all about Cleveland. And say they lose LeBron. They're definitely going to be looking at a star ( or a couple of star caliber players ) to replace what Lebron did.

So if they lose LeBron . . . Bosh + JJ may = LeBron, in their eyes.

Of course D'Antoni with the Knicks will be like a crackhead, trying to get either Amare or JJ

He put the Hawks back on the map.

( edit ) My biggest fear, is to see him traded for the same reason Nique got traded. I can see it now . . . the Hawks trading JJ for a guy like Kevin Martin and a draft pick, because he is younger. and can shoot the ball.

Then Kevin gets here, and plays mediocre basketball, and no defense.

I understand that we are wondering what's gonna hapen'... and you surely layed out two or three possibel scenarios...

Truth is that anything can hapen'... However, somathing tells me that JJ wants to remain a Hawk! He is basicaly taken care of financialy... I'm not saying he will take a pay cut, but I think he'll be open to listen to reasonable offer...

Anyway, I'm realy confident that Sund will do the best possible job! I feel very comfortable with him in charge and that's a very good feeling, something we haven't had in years!

If they extend Joe this summer all of this uncertainty will be behind them. Atlanta becomes a desirable destination next offseason as well for the Antonio McDyess types as well (just using him as an example) because they've got all their ducks in a row early on in the FA period minus Al Horford who's restricted anyway.

Edited by gsuteke