• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What is the status with Marvin?

ConverseChris

He should be doing 20/8 by now. He will probably never do that at any point in his career.

That would be terrific if he did.

If those are your expectations for him, I can see the where the negativity comes from. Those are bloated numbers, wishful thinking.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mello has never averaged 8 rebounds in any season. His career avg is 6.1.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/carmelo_anth...reer_stats.html

Marvin's rebounds have gone up every year. Last season he averaged 6.3

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/marvin_willi...reer_stats.html

Marvin is exactly 10 years younger than Jamison.

10 years ago, Jamison had 9.6 points and 6.8 rebounds shooting 45% fg and 30% 3s.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/antawn_jamis...reer_stats.html

Hope I haven't increased your sorrows.

We will see if Marvin averages anywhere near 20/8 this year like Jamison did the following season. I doubt he will do 15/7.

We will see if Marvin averages anywhere near 20/8 this year like Jamison did the following season. I doubt he will do 15/7.

JJ happen to be exactly 5 years older than MW. 5 years ago JJ was the 4th option in Phoenix playing his usual 40+ mpg. He averaged 16.7 ppg and 4.7 rebounds in one of the highest scoring team that played in breakneck speed.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/joe_johnson/career_stats.html

JJ happen to be exactly 5 years older than MW. 5 years ago JJ was the 4th option in Phoenix playing his usual 40+ mpg. He averaged 16.7 ppg and 4.7 rebounds in one of the highest scoring team that played in breakneck speed.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/joe_johnson/career_stats.html

Marvin is a 4th option on a not so good offense. Which got exposed in the playoffs.

If Marvin gets 19 or 22 shots per game like Jamison did in his 2nd and 3rd season, Marvin can easily get 20+ next year. Show me a 4th option at age 23 who averaged 20/8, EVER.

MW needs to lose weight, the 240-250 is not helping his game at all, 225-230 is where he needs to be. He is strictly a perimeter player on both ends.

Positives: Very good length for the position. good mid range shot and decent 3 point shooter. Good at forcing refs to making close calls when he does drive. Above average to good perimeter defender.

Negatives: Not strong enough to finish at the rim consistently and not fast enough to get to the rim regularly. Little to no post game. Extra weight has become detrimental to already questional back. Slightly below average ball handler for a starting SF.

His offensive game is not advanced enough to get him to the next level. He's not fluid enough in his moves to get defenders off balance and that's why you never see him demand help defenders when he does make an offensive move. I think he can eventually get 20 ppg but it won't be a yearly thing. Hopefully he can have a career year but don't see as he is alittle to "shy" and Joe, Crawford, Bibby, Josh will put up atleast 60 shots a game leaving little chances for everyone else.

I wonder if we could get Josh Childress to come back and put him at the 3. While Marvin does his job (solid shooter, solid rebounder, solid perimeter defender), it seems like Chillz has a more unique skill set and makes his impression on the games more with offensive rebounding, put backs, and he can shoot when necessary as well. Also, Marvin gets hurt a lot, well so does chillz for that matter I guess, but I don't want to break the bank for a guy that plays 50 games a year.

Marvin is about like Jamison size wise and Jamison averages 22PPG 9RPG.

Lebron

Mello

Dude should be doing something top 2 pick worthy instead of being a better rebounding Tim Thomas.

Jamison plays the 4. Butler is their 3. Melo has never averaged 8 rebounds. Not even Lebron has done it although he did get to 7.9.

LOOK, I'm tired of these conversations. We need marvin on this team, rather u like him or not, he isn't the superstar that we thought he was going to be but we did use a 2nd overall pick on him so I think we need to ride this pony out! I'm not a marv fan by any stretch of the imagination but he has improved year by year and that shows that he's actually working. He accepts his role on this team and he just does whats needed, Josh in my opinion is more talented but he's more of a risk than marvin. I love josh, don't get me wrong, and I think that he will still be the face of our franchise at some point (just my opinion) but I also think that marv is a big asset to this team and it would be foolish to get rid of him.

I know Jamison plays PF... But he's more of a SF in my book. You put him up against guys like Duncan, KG, Howard, Gasol and he's not a real PF.

If you play the 4 you will get more rebounds than if you play the 3. There is no small forward in the NBA averaging 20/8 yet that is the standard you hold Marvin to. Typical

If Marvin gets 19 or 22 shots per game like Jamison did in his 2nd and 3rd season, Marvin can easily get 20+ next year. Show me a 4th option at age 23 who averaged 20/8, EVER.

It would take John Stockton to get Marvin that many quality shots. The reason Marvin doesn't take more shots is because if he did he would get them blocked back in his face.