• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why is everyone overlooking Flip?

JackB1

I don't understand why everyone thinks we don't need to resign Flip? Many nights last season, he was our best player on the floor and

he is one of the ONLY FEW guards on this team willing to drive to the hoop. He is also great with 10 seconds left on the clock when everyone

else is standing around. He is fearless and wants the ball. I love that about him.

Crawford is primarily a jump shooter. Bibby is a spot up shooter. Teague we dont know yet.

We need more guys like Flip who DRIVE TO THE HOOP!!!!

I hope we resign him.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why everyone thinks we don't need to resign Flip? Many nights last season, he was our best player on the floor and

he is one of the ONLY FEW guards on this team willing to drive to the hoop. He is also great with 10 seconds left on the clock when everyone

else is standing around. He is fearless and wants the ball. I love that about him.

Crawford is primarily a jump shooter. Bibby is a spot up shooter. Teague we dont know yet.

I hope we resign him.

I agree whole-heartedly how important Flip was to us last year...but to put it simply, there's just not enough minutes to go around in the back court with the addition of Crawford, the re-signing of Bibby, and drafting a PG. In addition to JJ's huge minutes and Marv (if we re-sign him).

• Premium Member

I hope we resign him.

I'm with you on this. JJ should be lining up to pay Flip out of pocket because I can recall many night when Flip bailed him out.

For some reason Flip has always been the forgotten man. I think it's 5 teams in six years. I wouldn't be surprised to see him land in the division and really make the Hawks regret dropping him.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

I hope we resign him.

Hopefully Teague can be the guy that drives to the hole and dishes off. To be honest, there were times when Flip got the ball stripped out of his hands when driving to the basket at the end of a quarter or half.

Well, for me... I'd rather have Marvin because he fills some of our need at SF. I do like Flip, so idealy we sign both.

I don't know a lot about Crawford but many of the highlight films show him driving to the basket.

I think Teague drives a good bit. Remember, his quick first step is one of his strengths.

• Admin

I hope we resign him.

...because there is no room for him in the backcourt anymore. He is as good as gone.

...because there is no room for him in the backcourt anymore. He is as good as gone.

Please(if possible) resign Flip. There were several games last year, where Flip carried the team.. With Flip and Crawford coming off the bench, well, thats and alot of points. If they do not resign Flip, we have the same team as last year. Its a waste. Teague at 1

Flip at 1/2

Crawford at 2/3

that's a pretty good back court bench, better than Cavs, Orlando, and maybe Boston.

Bringing back Flip would just give woody another excuse for not playing a rookie, and I don't know about yall but I can't stand to see another wasted draft pick!!!!!

I hope we resign him.

Flip was good for us last year no doubt about it. Our 6th man and on some nights, our best player but we just got Jamal Crawford, drafted Teague, and resigned Bibby...i dont see any room for him on this team. I would much rather sign Marvin and work on bringing in another big man to add to our bench. Flip will find a team where he can contribute on and play big minutes. He may sign with a contender who knows. Would of been nice to have him back but there is just not enough minutes to go around unless you send Teague to the D-League and we dont want that

• Premium Member
I agree whole-heartedly how important Flip was to us last year...but to put it simply, there's just not enough minutes to go around in the back court with the addition of Crawford, the re-signing of Bibby, and drafting a PG. In addition to JJ's huge minutes and Marv (if we re-sign him).

Could not have said it better! If he came back, he could potentially impact the development of Teague because of Woody's 'comfort' with veterans. Also, the 5th guard is probably slotted to make around 1.5 million. Not sure if Flip would take that after this past season. If he would with the understanding he could have several DNP-CDs, no harm in bringing him back...

I like Flip! He brought something different to the table (driving to the basket, pushing the ball up the court)! He was agressive, and willing to take the ball and responsibility...

However, Hawks back-court is set with Bibby, JJ, Crawford and Teague, even Mo will get some minutes at 2... So basicaly there are not enough minutes to go around... and you wouldn't want to pay 3 millions per year for somebody who will have very limited role... also if we re-signed Flip, Teague would be nailed to the bench and you don't want to destroy confidence and development of a promising Rookie...

There are no minutes and most importantly Flip had a career year last year. There's no gurantee that becomes the norm for him over the rest of his career considering how inefficient and unproductive he was up until that one season.

I think Sund is playing the waiting game on both Flip and Marvin.

If Flip can be had at a reasonable price like he was last summer I'm sure Sund will bring him back if the Hawks are far enough under the luxury tax after resigning Marvin and potentially using their MLE on a big.

• Moderators
There are no minutes and most importantly Flip had a career year last year. There's no gurantee that becomes the norm for him over the rest of his career considering how inefficient and unproductive he was up until that one season.

Bingo! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Anyone else realize how big of an outlier Flip's production was last year from his career numbers?

Also, unless JJ is playing huge minutes at SF you are taking guys who averaged roughly 35 mins, 38 mins, and 39 minutes last year at the guard spots and then adding Teague and then adding Flip? How does that work when there are 84 minutes to go around?

I don't see how we keep Flip and actually play him.

+1 JackB1

I agree wholeheartedly. I understand that we'd be hampering the development of Teague, and we just signed a "scorer" in Crawford, but still. I think it's the nostalgia of watching a #22 go underappreciated. I don't know if any of y'all remember Eddie Jordan from back in the late 90s, but he also wore 22, and played a similar role as Flip, except he played mostly slop minutes.

I watched Crawford show flashes of brilliance back when he was a Knickerbocker, then watched him tank down in GS, and I guess I just never really ended my hatefest for the guy. I'm hoping he gives me enough reasons to change my mind, but until then...I'm still planning on rocking my blue "Flipmode" #22 when the Hawks come to Portland.

• Admin
I think Sund is playing the waiting game on both Flip and Marvin.

If Flip can be had at a reasonable price like he was last summer I'm sure Sund will bring him back if the Hawks are far enough under the luxury tax after resigning Marvin and potentially using their MLE on a big.

I really liked what Flip did for us but I just don't see what the point is to spend more money on another backcourt player (with JJ, a resigned Bibby, traded for Crawford, Teague as well as Mo can play SG too). We need use our money to resign Marvin and get a Big. I am sorry to say Flip will have to find another team and with his performance last year ... that should not be hard.