Andersen NOT coming to the Hawks?

Admin

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys realize that Zaza couldn't even get twenty minutes a game the last two seasons. We we're supposedly looking for a big then too.

We need to bring in someone better than Zaza.

Andersen / Chil / Morris

for

Kaman

Smoove gets 24, Horf 30, Kaman 28, Zaza 16 (Smoove slides to the SF for about 8 a game).

We are big, deep and talented. Extend MW and bring in a cheap steady vet at about $2M, finish the roster with a couple of min contracts.

Andersen wants a pay day above anything. He wants to come in, get a lot of minutes, then bolt for the highest offer. If he comes over and serves as one of many backups, he won't get that pay day.

I am sick of hearing him say how much he wants to come over, that he isn't looking for a lot of money, and how evil the Hawks are. He needs to suck it up.

Andersen from what I've read and seen is a cocky guy and very confident in his abilities. He's played in the highest foreign league as one of it's best players. The NBA has always been a dream of his but he has continously stated he wouldn't play here for pennies and also feels he's done too much over his career to be the 4th big on a team. I suggest we move him or lose him but now that it's fairly clear he's not coming here we need to throw the fullcourt press at Gooden (prefer him due to his post game and rebounding) and Wilcox.

Rasho should still be considered as our 5th big.

• Premium Member

IF... I say, IF, you accept that this article is authentic to DA's thougths and feelings, and I do not take it for granted...

I'm concerned that either Andersen doesn't have confidence that he would force himself into the low-post rotation, or that he doesn't have confidence that he'll get a chance to earn a spot in the low post rotation...

Which essentially is two sides of the same coin depending on who's talking; some people blame coaches nearly 100% of the time and some people blame the player nearly 100% of the time, but the bottom line is, there would be a lot of reason to wonder whether $3 mil spent on Andersen would be well-spent.

Btw/fwiw, there is not even one free agent who thrills me at this point. Unfortunately, since the Clips were able to exile Zach Randolph, our only option for a Chilz trade appears to be MIL, which also is a team without a big that thrills me.

• Premium Member
Btw/fwiw, there is not even one free agent who thrills me at this point.

Hmmm... I might take that back. I confess I didn't think that hard about Drew Gooden previously. What's the wisdom here on Gooden as a 4th guy in the low post?

So Andersen is the bad guy now because he wants to actually EARN the money he'd get? He just doesn't want to walk in the same situation like other not so young Euros like Kutluay & Macijauskas, if he can't get 15-25 minutes it would just waste his and the team's time. Now that Zaza is re-signed it's just very unlikely, that he can get those minutes, cause the guard minutes will be completely eaten up by Bibby/Teague/Crawford/JJ/Flip???, SF minutes will be used by JJ/Evans/Marvin(hopefully), so that leaves 96 minutes, Smith and Horford will get around 35 each, now we have 26 minutes left, the Hawks didn't pay Zaza to sit around (and he wouldn't have signed if he wasn't promised regular playing time), so he'll get at least 15, which means Acie Law minutes for Andersen. Of course it would be nice for the Hawks to have additional depth, but I believe Andersen would've left anyway after a year with so few minutes.

Hmmm... I might take that back. I confess I didn't think that hard about Drew Gooden previously. What's the wisdom here on Gooden as a 4th guy in the low post?

He's a 6'10" power forward who can bang, board, and score on the box. Rumor was in the earlier part of free agency that he'd want all or most of the MLE but I'm not sure he's going to get it. Teams just don't have the money. If we could use half the MLE on him (~2.5-3M/yr), he'd be a steal and would provide a solid backup PF option behind Smoove.

He's a 6'10" power forward who can bang, board, and score on the box. Rumor was in the earlier part of free agency that he'd want all or most of the MLE but I'm not sure he's going to get it. Teams just don't have the money. If we could use half the MLE on him (~2.5-3M/yr), he'd be a steal and would provide a solid backup PF option behind Smoove.

Honestly if we signed Gooden I feel he'd eat into Zaza's minutes at both C and PF. Their Height, Length difference is neglible, Drew can show out on screens better, hits both sides of the boards and has a solid inside outside post game. The main knock on Drew over his career has been his propensity to space out on assignments and plays, not to mention his inconsistency. Thankfully Zaza is signed cheaply so it wouldn't kill me to see him play less minutes if Drew happens to be shining.