• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woodson on 680 this morning

coachx

I missed the first part of the interview but this is what I gathered.

1. He said Crawford would come off the bench and fill Flip's role. Specifically said he would not start when asked but spoke very positively about JC.

2. He was then asked specifically about Flip. Woody said he does not expect him to come back b/c he does not think Flip wants to come back since they made the Crawford move. He then said I would still play Flip if he did come back but he thinks Flip wants to go some where where there is more of an opportunity. (I expect him to surface in Chicago to fill Gordon's shoes).

3. Asked about lack of playing time for Law and if Teague will be get more playing time. (Is based on each player differently)- Woodson said Teague is better then Law and his style fits their style of play better then Law, He did not guarantee Teague would get minutes right off the bat......said that is up to Teague.

4. He said he thinks "we have to go get a veteran big who has been around the block and is willing to bang." ....."We got to address that." As free agency plays out Sund and I will scower the FA's and see who is out there for a good deal. Woody sounded like Sund really involved him a lot. (The names Ben Wallace and Jamal MaGloire kept popping in my head as I listened.....they may be cheaper then Gooden and Wilcox and they are more physical bruisers.)

5. He said they specifically looked at McDeysse (sp?) and guys like Rasheed but those guys made decisions to go else where. (2 x-Pistons also mafe me think of Wallace). He said he wanted to call Rick today to see what is going on there with the bigs. He said there could even be a trade. Woody then said that "as an organization we have to get bigger."

6. He said he thinks Orlando will be better with Vince (of course having Gortat back is nice too).

7. He sounded as if Chillz does not want to be back.

8. Said they have to get Marvin back in uniform he is big part of what they do. "That is the next step."

9. They then told him Sekou Smith just "tweeted" that Chillz is going back to Greece. Woody said that was news to him but its Chillz's decision to play where he wants to play.

I thought it was a very good, open, and honest interview for a NBA head coach.

While many teams start the season trying to find chemistry and continuity........the Hawks will hit the ground running !

Edited by coachx
  • Like 4

Thank you for posting that coach, it sounds like it was a good interview and is pretty much in line with what most of us here want from the team. If we can add 2 more decent bigs then I will feel like we have the talent to win a championship. Right now we're too thin in the front court and I give Woody a pass for that but if we address this roster shortage then he'll have no excuse in my book but to at least compete for the championship, assuming we stay healthy of course.

• Moderators

Thanks for posting. I am very happy to hear him confirm that JC will be an upgrade on Flip's role and not a starting guard. I think JC will be a fantastic 6th man but a Bibby/JC backcourt would be a defensive liability.

• Moderators

So, I guess, if Teague struggles, Crawford would play more backup point and Mo would have to play more minutes at the 2. If not, JJ will probably play tons of minutes again this season.

If JJ doesn't play significant minutes at SF, you can reduce his minutes, JC's minutes and Bibby's minutes by 20% and still fill every minute at the PG/SG position without even playing Teague and Mo. If Woody can't reduce JJ's minutes this year for any reason other than huge injuries, he is a total moron. Crawford can definitely play some backup point.

So, I guess, if Teague struggles, Crawford would play more backup point and Mo would have to play more minutes at the 2. If not, JJ will probably play tons of minutes again this season.

This is my dream world scenerio as the roster stands now for minutes:

PG: Bibby 30 mpg / Crawford 9 mpg / Teague 9 mpg = 48 mpg

SG: JJ 26 mpg / Crawford 22 mpg = 48 mpg

SF Williams 27 mpg / JJ 10 mpg / Evans 11 mpg = 48 mpg

PF: Smith 35 mpg / Williams 8 mpg / Horford 5 mpg = 48 mpg

C: Horford 30 mpg / ZaZa 18 mpg = 48 mpg

Crawford, Teague, and Evans can steal minutes from one another based on their level of play. If Teague struggles his minutes go to Bibby and Crawford without hesitation............I personally wish we would give Teague 9 - 10 minutes each game NO MATTER WHAT.

If or when we add another big...........I would assume that Marvin spends more time at SF and very little time at PF which takes away Mo Evans playing time so the new big can play.

Woodson must make it a priority to rest JJ 9 minutes of every 1st half. We have to keep our star fresher for the playoffs. Then give him a 3 minute breather to start every 4th quarter. Keep JJ at 36 mpg and not a minute over. We know we are a playoff team now and with Crawford this running JJ into the ground should be over.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

Probably. I think it also depends on how well the starters do. If they get into a habit of burying teams early then the bench will get more play time and we wont need to ride on Joe's coat tails.

I think Teague will do fine though but nothing's final until he starts playing... man, I wish the Hawks were involved in a Summer League this year just so Teague can get used to playing with some NBA players and his Hawks team mates.

Crawford should get more playing time than Flip since he's a proven starter. So JJ's minutes should decrease a little reguardless of how Teague plays.

For the Bigs, anyone esle get the impression that Horford may play more PF this year if we bring in quality backup bigs? Horf, Marv, and some big could take turns relieving Smoove at PF.

Thanks fo the post Choach. Interesting read.

• Premium Member

This is my dream world scenerio as the roster stands now for minutes:

PG: Bibby 30 mpg / Crawford 9 mpg / Teague 9 mpg = 48 mpg

SG: JJ 26 mpg / Crawford 22 mpg = 48 mpg

SF Williams 27 mpg / JJ 10 mpg / Evans 11 mpg = 48 mpg

PF: Smith 35 mpg / Williams 8 mpg / Horford 5 mpg = 48 mpg

C: Horford 30 mpg / ZaZa 18 mpg = 48 mpg

Crawford, Teague, and Evans can steal minutes from one another based on their level of play. If Teague struggles his minutes go to Bibby and Crawford without hesitation............I personally wish we would give Teague 9 - 10 minutes each game NO MATTER WHAT.

If or when we add another big...........I would assume that Marvin spends more time at SF and very little time at PF which takes away Mo Evans playing time so the new big can play.

Woodson must make it a priority to rest JJ 9 minutes of every 1st half. We have to keep our star fresher for the playoffs. Then give him a 3 minute breather to start every 4th quarter. Keep JJ at 36 mpg and not a minute over. We know we are a playoff team now and with Crawford this running JJ into the ground should be over.

Great breakdown of possible minutes! It really demonstrates that it becomes difficult to get playing time once you get beyond the 8th player. The only tweak I would add would be for the 2nd big man off the bench to get 5-8 minutes, taking away from Smith/Williams/Horford.

Great breakdown of possible minutes! It really demonstrates that it becomes difficult to get playing time once you get beyond the 8th player. The only tweak I would add would be for the 2nd big man off the bench to get 5-8 minutes, taking away from Smith/Williams/Horford.

Lets say we get Wilcox just to use as an example of our 2nd big off the bench. (Could be Gooden, Smith, Wallace, MaGloire, Nesterovich, etc.)

Then Mo Evans is likely glued to the bench and Marvin is locked in at SF with no more PF minutes.

SF: Marvin 34 mpg / JJ 12 mpg

PF: Smith 35 mpg / Wilcox 13 mpg

C: Horford 32 mpg / ZaZa 16 mpg

Wilcox and ZaZa could steal each other's minutes. Depth is great to have b/c injuries will happen. Players will actually average more minutes per game then this illustration presents b/c Horford or Smoove may miss 15 games again (like last year) where both ZaZa and Wilcox have to step up and play 30 minutes a piece for a 10 or 15 game stretch which would greatly distort their minutes per game average. (I think ZaZa played 10 games with more then 30 minutes of playing time last year.......without that 10 game outlier his minutes per game would have been much less.)

It would be quite a luxury to have some insurance in case of injury.

Edited by coachx

I tried this adding another vet big......

PG-Bibby (30)+Crawford (10)+Teague (8)=48

SG-Johnson (28)+Crawford (17)+Evans/Teague (3)+48

SF-Williams (30)+Johnson (6)+Evans (12)=48

PF-Smith (32)+Horford (10)+new big (6)=48

C-Horford (22)+ZaZa (17)+new big (9)=48

Bibby-30MPG

Johnson-34MPG

Williams-30MPG

Smith-32MPG

Horford-32MPG

Crawford-27MPG

Pachulia-17MPG

Evans-15MPG

New Big-15MPG

Teague-8MPG

That's a 10 man rotation and I like that we're not overworking any of our guys. Joe's minutes are respectable, but not ridiculous like they've been the past few years.

He made a considerable point of saying that Teague is a different type of point guard. Repeated this. Don't know if anyone else heard it and then he fell back on the thing that Acie had injuries. Guess the implication is that he is Woody's type of pg? Hope so.

I was also struck by what he said as far as the the vet bigs they went after . . . . the best guys out there. That says something. Gotta wonder if the next teir of players in that same vein would be Wilcox? Sounds promising.

Found myself giving him more credit as he talked, which is very different. He is under the gun this year to get better of move on?

• Premium Member

Crawford should get more playing time than Flip since he's a proven starter. So JJ's minutes should decrease a little reguardless of how Teague plays.

Do you think Woody is going to cut into the Joe Johnson Playing time??

:slap1:

• Premium Member

I tried this adding another vet big......

PG-Bibby (30)+Crawford (10)+Teague (8)=48

SG-Johnson (28)+Crawford (17)+Evans/Teague (3)+48

SF-Williams (30)+Johnson (6)+Evans (12)=48

PF-Smith (32)+Horford (10)+new big (6)=48

C-Horford (22)+ZaZa (17)+new big (9)=48

Bibby-30MPG

Johnson-34MPG

Williams-30MPG

Smith-32MPG

Horford-32MPG

Crawford-27MPG

Pachulia-17MPG

Evans-15MPG

New Big-15MPG

Teague-8MPG

That's a 10 man rotation and I like that we're not overworking any of our guys. Joe's minutes are respectable, but not ridiculous like they've been the past few years.

Another good breakdown that is also very telling. I submit most teams use an 8-9 man rotation. Given the salary cap, how much would you want to spend on the second big man off the bench, knowing he might get 8-10 minutes a game or perhaps have stretches where he has several DNP-CDs? True, you do need depth for when injuries occur and you would like the depth to be quality rather than simply practice players. At the same time, you have a budget and must spend your monies wisely.

If they can get someone like a Wilcox for $2 million/year, you do it! Who knows, someone like an Adonal Foyle or Jamal Magloire may also be available for similar dollars. This position has to provide 6 good fouls when we play teams with bulk in the middle.

If Marvin is not re-signed and is either S&T for big man or the money is used to acquire one, here's a breakdown (IMO, a much worse team unless you get a stud for Marvin). I'm assuming the new big is a PF guy like Wilcox or Gooden

PG-Bibby (32)+Crawford (6)+Teague (10)

SG-Crawford (26)+Johnson (20)+Teague (2)

SF-Johnson (18)+Evans (20)+Smith (10)

PF-Smith (24)+Horford (10)+New Big (14)

C-Horford (24)+ZaZa (18)+New Big (6)

Bibby-32MPG

Crawford-32MPG

Johnson-38MPG

Smith-34MPG

Horford-34MPG

Evans-20MPG

Pachulia-18MPG

New Big-20MPG

Teague-12MPG

That's giving a big bump in minutes to some of the bench guys as well as starters. Takes away that opportunity to keep them as fresh. Also makes us weak if we had an injury to Crawford, JJ, or Mo.

• Premium Member

Woody said it right here.

He said that Teague will not play!

Let's do something to get Woody out of here.

Woody No Goody!!

If Teague has to earn his minutes vs. a veteran like Craw or Bibby... Teague will never see the floor under Woody.

Do you think Woody is going to cut into the Joe Johnson Playing time??

:slap1:

yeah it should be reduced . If you look at Woodys sub patterns Joe doesnt usually sit until well into the second quarter but now that we have Crawford you will see Joe sit probably at the 2 minute mark of the 2nd quarter .

Also too many instances of Joe never getting a rest in the second halves of games. I think we will see more 3 guard lineups in the second half especially in the 4th .So I think Crawford and Evans come in in the 3rd and then Evans leaves and Crawford stays as Joe slides to SF in the 4th against certain teams .

Without any summer league I just dont think there will be any minutes for Teague the first half of the season.Hes gonna be absolutely shell shocked the first month or two .

Woody said it right here.

He said that Teague will not play!

Let's do something to get Woody out of here.

Woody No Goody!!

If Teague has to earn his minutes vs. a veteran like Craw or Bibby... Teague will never see the floor under Woody.

He did?

3. Asked about lack of playing time for Law and if Teague will be get more playing time. (Is based on each player differently)- Woodson said Teague is better then Law and his style fits their style of play better then Law, He did not guarantee Teague would get minutes right off the bat......said that is up to Teague.

Show me 1 instance of a player that Woody has talked so highly about that hasn't gotten playing time.

• Admin

I liked that he said we were trying for McDyess and Wallace. It shows that we recognize a need for a quality big off the bench and we are trying to get one. I am not surprised that we didn't sign those guys since they went to championship now contenders however at least we are going after guys that will contribute. Get Joe Smith now!!

• Premium Member

He did?

Show me 1 instance of a player that Woody has talked so highly about that hasn't gotten playing time.

Basic substitution.

He said that Crawford would see more time than Flip did.

If we bring back Marvin.

and we have a healthy Joe.

Teague will probably get less playing time than Acie did.

I can see Craw getting some time from Bibby... but I don't see and nobody has shown where Teague is going to get substantially more time than Acie did (11 Min per)