• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Garret Siler (merged)

Brotha2ThaNite

Garret Siler came out of High School 6'11" 358 lbs :no-no:

He he got down to 305 lbs after his first year of college.

Still he is 30 lbs more then Morris and King Zaza. lol That is a strong SOB! I say just put him in the paint :laugh:

I know, I know size is not everything.... but you can't teach it and I'm :wow: for it in our line-up.

We are not allowed at the Mini-Camps, Right? How about Season ticket holders? Oh well, I need something to keep my eyes on this Mini-Camp. Siler is my new man crush. lol

131.jpg :love:

Here is some reading on him.

2009 Portsmouth Invitational Tournament: Day 2

By Borko_Popic

Fri, 04/10/2009 - 3:44am

Game 3

K&D Round's Landscaping 70 – Tidewater Sealants 68

Garret Siler (15 points, 12 rebounds, 2 blocks)

For the second day in a row, the D2 product has shown that he belongs. He is a legit 7 footer and has a wide body, bringing some intrigue because of the space that he creates inside. Although he is very heavy, he still moves surprisingly well, showing that his motor is very good. His running posture is a bit awkward as he takes short and choppy steps, but it works for him, so no reason to worry about it. He possesses surprising athleticism and is able to finish with power around the hoop. Maybe his best feature are his hands, showing that he can corral tough passes thrown in traffic, gather himself and finish the play. Defensively, he struggles guarding big men that step outside, but inside it is difficult for anyone to challenge his strength.

link

Strengths: Looks like a legit 7’ footer with tremendous strenght and size … His most impressive trait is the fact that he runs the floor fairly well and he has great feet for someone his size … He runs with short on somewhat choppy steps, but he is very efficient and does not fatigue as fast as one would expect … Inside, he is very good because he has great hands and a soft touch, and if he catches a defender on his back he is pretty much unstoppable because of his wide base and strength … He is able to finish plays with dunks, especially off drives and dishes, where he shows some very underrated explosiveness …

Weaknesses: His footspeed is very limited, posing a great problem defensively as opposing big men face him up and attack at will … His rebounding is also not very impressive as he seems to lack instinct and he struggles with players that are quicker to get into better rebounding position … He does not show much in terms of anticipation and weakside help … His offensive game is strictly confined to within 5 feet, outside of that range, he does not even look to shoot the ball … He is a 66% shooter for his career … His release is jerky and he moves the ball to the side as he is about to release it, causing some inconsistency in his release.

Decent offensive skills, bad defense, and bad rebounding. Sounds just like Randolph Morris.

"inside it is difficult for anyone to challenge his strength."

"if he catches a defender on his back he is pretty much unstoppable because of his wide base and strength "

He is 30 lbs heavier and I can't remember anyone saying that about Morris :tongue:

Edited by Brotha2ThaNite

Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to provide a like for that first quote. Here you go. link

Here is more too.

link

2009 Portsmouth Invitational Tournament: Day 4

By Borko_Popic

Mon, 04/13/2009 - 3:27am

Game 9 (7th place)

Tidewater Sealants 100 - Portsmouth Sports Club 83

Alex Ruoff

The toilet bowl game ended up being a blow out, but it was nonetheless very exciting due to impressive team play by the winners as well as some good individual performances. Tidewater Sealants combined for 33 assists on only 14 turnovers, sharing the wealth and getting plenty of easy baskets. Gary Wilkinson continued his efficient play en route to 26 points (10-11 FG) and 11 rebounds. Garret Siler was once again dominant on the inside contributing 22 points and 5 rebounds. Maybe the most impressive performance was put forth by Alex Ruoff, who not only scored 21 points, but he also had 10 assists and 5 rebounds, displaying his well rounded games. For Portsmouth Sports Club, Taylor Griffin had a nice game with 24 points and 4 rebounds, while AJ Abrahms chipped in 22 points to go along with 9 assists.

Decent offensive skills, bad defense, and bad rebounding. Sounds just like Randolph Morris.

Except Morris has no motor. Morris' lack of motor or heart or mojo or intensity or whatever the "it" is called is his biggest problem. At least Siler has a good motor based on most reports.

Except Morris has no motor. Morris' lack of motor or heart or mojo or intensity or whatever the "it" is called is his biggest problem. At least Siler has a good motor based on most reports.

Good point seems like he wants to work and he loves contact. He seems better than Morris.

supposedly he's lost some weight I believe he's down to 280lbs

I saw this kid play against my school for two years the reports on him are fairly accurate, but again with the weight loss he might be a bit quicker. He seemed like a nice kid off the court and takes direction well. He was a bit foul prone against us and we had more athletic 210 lbs 6'8 - 6'9 centers we put on him. None the less, he's a banger I I'm sure he's not afraid of morris or anyone else we throw at him at the mini camp, maybe Taft, but I'm unfamiliar with his game.

Here is what he is doing in summer league so far:

24 minutes

7 rebounds

1 block

6 points

http://www.nba.com/summerleague2009/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=1520900010

13 minutes

7 rebounds

3 blocks

6 points (2-4 from ft)

http://www.nba.com/summerleague2009/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=1520900013

Not amazing stats, especially against the competition, but he is rebounding very well it seems.

should the hawks end up bringing him in (i'm sure they'll need a few guys on the undrafted league minimum salary), then he would seem to be someone they would hope to throw out there against shaq (especially in the downside of his career), and maybe dhoward. basically any burly big who muscles they're way through our roster. he wouldn't have to provide anything major stat-wise, just hold his own defensively to help keep the opposing bruisers in check, so the rest of the team can do their thing. at worst, he could at least help wear down their bigs a little more and draw 6 fouls. traditional stats (points, rebounds, blocks, etc.) won't be where his value is. it would be nice if he became a major diamond in the rough and is an effective goon on the court.

I dont know much about dude, but why not take a risk of getting him he's not going to be any worse than morris. An he could be just as good as solo or better. What I do like about dude is that he has a great Size. I mean 6'11 305 pounds! It aint gon get no bigger than that unless you shaq! Anyways I hope this guy does a great job when he comes to visit us. He would give us some good size comin off the bench and I dont think he's soft in the paint judging by what I read from other, he will be able to bang in the post for sure. If you have any info on Mr. Garret Siler, please let me know!

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Garret-Siler-5699/

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/garret-siler

"Siler is incredibly strong, has great hands, and establishes position in the paint against players of this caliber with the greatest of ease, barely needing to jump in order to dunk the ball because of how long his arms are. Combine those things together, and it becomes pretty obvious why he shoots such a high percentage from the field. He doesn’t have great footwork or fundamentals in the paint if forced to execute any type of advanced moves, but he manages to get to the free throw line a fair amount regardless, where he shoots a decent 66% despite his awkward mechanics."

Edited by JTB

• Premium Member

I dont know much about dude, but why not take a risk of getting him he's not going to be any worse than morris. An he could be just as good as solo or better. What I do like about dude is that he has a great Size. I mean 6'11 305 pounds! It aint gon get no bigger than that unless you shaq! Anyways I hope this guy does a great job when he comes to visit us. He would give us some good size comin off the bench and I dont think he's soft in the paint judging by what I read from other, he will be able to bang in the post for sure. If you have any info on Mr. Garret Siler, please let me know!

Based on everything you read about him, he seems like a 'nice' guy. I worry that he could be the second reincarnation of Preist Lauderdale.

with guys like this who seem to have a natural talent but lack the fundamentals, you would think that (if signed) they could spend all day practicing their footwork and get it down in a fairly quick time frame....you would think that if they were signed with a ballclub and they were hard workers that they could use a couple years of being at the end of the bench of using most of their free time to improve their game..

someone like a garret siler or randolph morris should be able to be very good players in this league.....but they don't (at least with morris)

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Garret-Siler-5699/

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/garret-siler

"Siler is incredibly strong, has great hands, and establishes position in the paint against players of this caliber with the greatest of ease, barely needing to jump in order to dunk the ball because of how long his arms are. Combine those things together, and it becomes pretty obvious why he shoots such a high percentage from the field. He doesn’t have great footwork or fundamentals in the paint if forced to execute any type of advanced moves, but he manages to get to the free throw line a fair amount regardless, where he shoots a decent 66% despite his awkward mechanics."

You are asking if this guy can be as good as Randolf Morris? So you are asking if this guy can suck? Yep, I bet he will suck. I bet he already sucks.

Hawk88

Edited by Hawk88