• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike Woodson Mic'd Up

Theeyo

http://www.nba.com/hawks/video/2009/07/21/WoodsonMicd.nba/index.html

Hawks Head Coach put on a microphone for hawks.com during a rookie mini-camp practice, check out the video!

Source: NBA | Added On July 21, 2009

I find it weird to hear Woody talk about Offense LOL

http://www.nba.com/h....nba/index.html

Hawks Head Coach put on a microphone for hawks.com during a rookie mini-camp practice, check out the video!

Source: NBA | Added On July 21, 2009

I find it weird to hear Woody talk about Offense LOL

I swear that every time I hear Woodson talk he is almost always saying the right thing. He talked about playing defense, getting into the offense, pushing the ball up the court and running, etc. in that video. It makes it hard for me to believe that he's not saying these same things to our regulars and that the message isn't always getting through to them.

I swear that every time I hear Woodson talk he is almost always saying the right thing. He talked about playing defense, getting into the offense, pushing the ball up the court and running, etc. in that video. It makes it hard for me to believe that he's not saying these same things to our regulars and that the message isn't always getting through to them.

yeah, I thought to myself he's either putting on for the cameras or our regs aren't executing. Makes ya wonder huh? hmmmmMm the plot thickens...

yeah, I thought to myself he's either putting on for the cameras or our regs aren't executing. Makes ya wonder huh? hmmmmMm the plot thickens...

It's possible that he's just putting on a show but I think it's more likely that some of our young knuckleheads just don't execute as often as they are taught by all of the coaches.

Exactly. I disagree completely with the idea that he's putting on a show.

The bottom line is that I don't blame Woodson for the shortcomings of Josh Smith anymore because everytime you see Woody mic'd up he is saying stuff like drive the ball, and you see how he stresses the defensive philosophy.

And even with the mic off, just look at how he benches Josh when Josh takes those terrible shots.

At some point Josh Smith has to mature.

R we going to be able to get video of the scrimmages?

What about the iso Joe. Is he coaching that or is JJ a knucklehead?

I don't think JJ is a kucklehead. Woody has done nothing but praise him. He's the "horse, we're going to ride him", or however Woody alsways answers in regards to Joe. It is contradicting when you watch him in situations like this, when he's stressing how to get into an offense, off the break, making the appropriate cuts to get open, etc. Maybe in his current system of offense it's taking too long to get started...24 seconds isn't alot of time to do a whole lot, but it sure seems to me isolation happens too frequently. Maybe it's a combination of both. Not an effective scheme offensively, and players, Joe, feeling like that had to shouder the entire burden,

Every coach in the NBA sounds good, that's why they were hired as a coach. They are all great communicators. However, the best coaches ENFORCE their rules. An example would be benching Smith when he gets shot happy. He doesn't.

Not to mention our sheer lack of a half court offense, and our switching defense under all circumstances regardless of how bad it's being exploited. Our team needs a new direction.

Every coach in the NBA sounds good, that's why they were hired as a coach. They are all great communicators. However, the best coaches ENFORCE their rules. An example would be benching Smith when he gets shot happy. He doesn't.

Not to mention our sheer lack of a half court offense, and our switching defense under all circumstances regardless of how bad it's being exploited. Our team needs a new direction.

He has benched Smith on numerous occassions. Could he do it more, yeah I'm sure he could. Should he? Probably. But he has done it. Of course like Bibby says maybe Woody is putting Smith in that position so it would be difficult to bench him under those circumstances.

But yeah, the direction that we're going (up) is obviously bad and we need a new direction. I guess that leaves sideways and down as our only other options.

It's possible that he's just putting on a show but I think it's more likely that some of our young knuckleheads just don't execute as often as they are taught by all of the coaches.

I don't think coaching is all about saying the right things. It's about getting the people to actually do the right things. Otherwise, we could just give all the players an instruction manual.

Edited by thefloydian

I don't think coaching is all about saying the right things. It's about getting the people to actually do the right things. Otherwise, we could just give all the players an instruction manual.

You're certainly right about that. I think the point that people are trying to make in this thread, well at least me, is that Woodson does seem to know what he's talking about so he's not clueless or a moron as he is far too often labeled.

You're certainly right about that. I think the point that people are trying to make in this thread, well at least me, is that Woodson does seem to know what he's talking about so he's not clueless or a moron as he is far too often labeled.

Oh, well I can only speak for myself as an anti-Woodson type, but I don't necessarily think he doesn't know basketball because I have nothing to go on in that regard. I just think his results suck. I mean it could just be the players, but even then I'd rather have someone who will get on to them and call them out in the media than Woody.

I can't speak for others of course, but being one that has labled Woody a "moron" I can assure you I'm not comparing him to some average message board wanker. Any time I speak down on the guy I'm comparing him to his peers. So, to me, he is a moron when compared to other past and present NBA head coaches. The guy knows more basketball than all of us combined on HawkSquawk but that doesn't make him a decent coach.