• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wallace, Smith, or Bowen?

Robdawg

So, I think it's safe to say that most of us know the Hawks have done well this off-season but I think the need for a vet big is still our main mission. So I am going to show you all the stats for each of these guys and hopefully we all can debate who is the best fit for the Hawks.

First is Joe Smith, the Center/Forward played for the Thunder and Cavs last season and helped Lebron and Co. to the Eastern Conference Finals.

STATS

Regular Season Games - 57

PPG- 6.6

MPG- 19.3

RPG- 4.6

FG%- .468

FT%- .720

Experience- 13 year vet. 26 Career playoff games.

Next, We have Bruce Bowen. His contract was bought out by the Bucks and although he has some character problems, he might fit into the Hawks.

RSG- 80

PPG- 2.7

MPG- 18.9

RPG- 1.8

FG%- .422

FT%- .538

Experience- Three Titles with the Spurs

Lastly we have Ben Wallace, who was considering retirement.

RSG- 56

PPG- 2.9

MPG- 23.5

RPG- 6.5

FG%- .445

FT%- .442

Experience- With pistons when they were amazing.

So who do you think we should get?

Edited by Robdawg

If I have to take just one I take Joe Smith since we need a backup PF in the worst way ... but I'd also like to get a defensive center like Wallace as well.

I have a feeling that we're going to end up with one of the old Seattle center prospects though, perhaps Petro as that 3rd center off the bench. Still not sure we're going to get Joe Smith but I'm hoping. We need veteran leadership in the front court in the worst way, not to mention someone that can start in case of injury.

wallace has no Offense and cannot shoot like maybe 50% from the line. Smith is the way to go from those three...

Who needs offense out of a backup big man ? Defense and toughness is what he brings to the table. Something Joe Smith doesn't.

Based on those numbers, I would get Joe Smith. I value free throw shooting a lot, and Smith shoots a decent percent from the line. A lot of the games that the hawks lost, they could of won by shooting a decent percent from the foul line.

Joe Smith is 34, Bruce Bowen is 39 and Ben Wallace will be 35 by the time the season starts. Not only is Joe Smith the better fit for what we need in terms of backup PF offense and defense and veteran leadership, but he's really the only one of the three with any gas left in the tank.

My biggest concern is whether he wants to chase a ring with Cleveland (assuming they extend him an offer now that Warrick signed with MIL) or take a chance with us.

This might be good news for us?

Source: Cavs Offer Contract to Leon Powe

Posted: 8/2/2009 6:36:00 AM

Source: Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer

As happens often in the free-agent process, it is on to the next for the Cavaliers.

Friday, power forward Hakim Warrick accepted a contract offer from the Milwaukee Bucks over one from the Cavs. The proposals were not the same. The Bucks reportedly signed Warrick to a one-year, $3 million contract, and he will have a chance to compete for a starting job. The Cavs' offer was their bi-annual exception of just under $2 million to take position behind starter Anderson Varejao.

The Cavs still are believed to want to add another forward. One player under consideration is Joe Smith, who finished out last season with the Cavs. He averaged 6.5 points and 4.8 rebounds in 21 regular season games and 5.5 points and 3.7 rebounds in 13 postseason games after signing in March.

Smith is a favorite of Cavs coach Mike Brown and is popular within the locker room after spending the end of the past two seasons with the team.

He celebrated his 34th birthday this week, and the Cavs may want a younger player, especially if it is going to be for a multiyear contract, which is what Smith wants.

Two other players that might fit that bill are Rob Kurz and Steve Novak. Both are finesse power forwards who are known for their shooting ability out to the 3-point line. With players such as Shaquille O'Neal and Varejao who play close to the basket, the Cavs have been looking for good long-range shooting forwards for much of the summer.

One more intriguing alternative that has developed is Leon Powe, who played the past three seasons with the Celtics. According to a source, the Cavs have offered Powe a contract. Though he's a bit undersized at 6-foot-8, he has proven to be a strong reserve forward. He played a significant role for the Celtics last season following Kevin Garnett's injury as he averaged 7.7 points and 4.9 rebounds.

• Premium Member

If the Hawks offered a two-year deal of $2.5M per season with a team option for a third year at that same rate, I think Smith would sign here.

The question is, "Is he worth that?"

Edited by mrhonline

If the Hawks offered a two-year deal of $2.5M per season with a team option for a third year at that same rate, I think Smith would sign here.

The question is, "Is he worth that?"

I don't know if he is worth that in the general sense, but I think that he is worth that to the Hawks.

• Premium Member

I can't locate it now, but 2-3 days ago, I read that Cleveland would have to use their bi-annual exception to get Smith b/c their MLE is essentially tapped out... which if I'm not mistaken means we'd only have to offer a little more than $1.9 mil to exceed their offer.

More importantly, the question should be, "What else could we do with that money?" Not much...

Other than Joe Smith, I don't think Sund has plans to do much else other than sign league minimum, or near-minimum, contracts to fill out the roster. There just isn't anyone else out there left worth a multi-million, multi-year deal. The only reason I wouldn't want to spend the cash on Joe Smith would be if we were trying to use that money to lock in JJ with a contract extension.

Edited by PDubATL

Out of those 3, I'd be thrilled with Joe Smith. Big Ben looked entirely tapped out last year but it was hidden pretty well because he was playing next to Bron in a fairly deep if somewhat limited rotation. I'd be happy with Bruce too, but not at the expense of a frontcourt player. I don't know why you think Bowen has any character issues that would be a problem with the Hawks, I think he'd be a good mentor to Marv on defensive positioning, he is one of the best ever at that sort of thing.

• Admin

Most importantly, is that Dion Glover in your avatar? LOL

FWIW, Gerald Green and James Singleton are still out there. I like both players at the minimum...

I would do 2 years 2 million per for Joe.

Green isn't bad but I would prefer we get Van Wafer.

Out of those 3, I'd be thrilled with Joe Smith. Big Ben looked entirely tapped out last year but it was hidden pretty well because he was playing next to Bron in a fairly deep if somewhat limited rotation. I'd be happy with Bruce too, but not at the expense of a frontcourt player. I don't know why you think Bowen has any character issues that would be a problem with the Hawks, I think he'd be a good mentor to Marv on defensive positioning, he is one of the best ever at that sort of thing.

He performed well in limited minutes in the regular season. He gives us a defensive presence off the bench, a veteran leader, and physical toughness. Joe Smith is a solid vet, but what he brings to the table is not what we really need.