Joe Smith: A perfect fit for Hawks

DrReality

Joe Smith: A perfect fit for HawksBy SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

After 14 years in the NBA, Joe Smith is prepared to play the role of wise sage.

AP Josh Smith (right) and the Hawks are glad to have Joe Smith's defense on their side this year.

.“That’s just a part of the equation when you’ve been around as long as I have,” Smith said and then laughed.

That’s in addition, of course, to playing his role in the Hawks’ playing rotation, which should stretch 10 players deep.

Smith, who signed a one-year deal for the veteran’s minimum last week, gives the Hawks an experienced two-deep rotation at all five positions.

Earlier this summer Hawks coach Mike Woodson said the team had a hole behind Josh Smith at power forward. Smith closes that hole and lends some depth at small forward in certain situations, while also being able to guard some centers in the league.

Still, one of the more valuable aspects of having him around is the influence he can have on young big men such as Smith and Al Horford in the locker room and in games.

“There isn’t much I haven’t seen during my time in the league,” said Joe Smith, the No. 1 overall pick in the 1995 NBA draft out of Maryland. “Honestly, the time has gone so fast that it’s hard to believe draft night was so long ago, but that’s why you have to take the things you’ve learned along the way and be ready to pass them on. I’m ready to do that on this team.”

Smith served in a similar capacity last season, both in Oklahoma City and Cleveland. He began the season with the Thunder, playing 36 games before being bought out and released. He played in 21 regular-season games after being picked up by the Cavaliers and saw action in 13 playoff games with the league’s best regular-season team.

He said his time with the Thunder and Cavaliers gave him plenty of training time with young teams, insight that should serve him well with a maturing Hawks team.

“I’m excited,” said Smith, 33, who will wear No. 32 with the Hawks. “I can’t wait to get started.”

More beef on the way?

Adding Joe Smith wasn’t the Hawks’ last frontcourt move of the summer. The Hawks are close to completing a deal to add veteran center Jason Collins.

Collins was in town for a workout with the Hawks two weeks ago and made a favorable impression. A 7-foot, 255-pound eight-year veteran, Collins would also sign a one-year deal at the veteran’s minimum, as Smith did.

A quality defender with a physical presence, Collins also would provide depth and insurance in the frontcourt. He spent the first six and half years of his career in New Jersey, starting 404 games at center time there. Collins was a starter on the Nets’ 2003 NBA Finals team.

Hunter coming to camp

Second-year forward Othello Hunter has committed to attend the Hawks’ training camp, which kicks off late next month.

He’ll join a growing list of camp invitees that already includes rookie free agent Garrett Siler, Frank Robinson and Courtney Sims.

Edited by DrReality

This is a big surprise:

Adding Joe Smith wasn’t the Hawks’ last frontcourt move of the summer. The Hawks are close to completing a deal to add veteran center Jason Collins.

Collins was in town for a workout with the Hawks two weeks ago and made a favorable impression. A 7-foot, 255-pound eight-year veteran, Collins would also sign a one-year deal at the veteran’s minimum, as Smith did

• Admin

AP Josh Smith (right) and the Hawks are glad to have Joe Smith's defense on their side this year.

."That's just a part of the equation when you've been around as long as I have," Smith said and then laughed.

That's in addition, of course, to playing his role in the Hawks' playing rotation, which should stretch 10 players deep.

Smith, who signed a one-year deal for the veteran's minimum last week, gives the Hawks an experienced two-deep rotation at all five positions.

Earlier this summer Hawks coach Mike Woodson said the team had a hole behind Josh Smith at power forward. Smith closes that hole and lends some depth at small forward in certain situations, while also being able to guard some centers in the league.

Still, one of the more valuable aspects of having him around is the influence he can have on young big men such as Smith and Al Horford in the locker room and in games.

"There isn't much I haven't seen during my time in the league," said Joe Smith, the No. 1 overall pick in the 1995 NBA draft out of Maryland. "Honestly, the time has gone so fast that it's hard to believe draft night was so long ago, but that's why you have to take the things you've learned along the way and be ready to pass them on. I'm ready to do that on this team."

Smith served in a similar capacity last season, both in Oklahoma City and Cleveland. He began the season with the Thunder, playing 36 games before being bought out and released. He played in 21 regular-season games after being picked up by the Cavaliers and saw action in 13 playoff games with the league's best regular-season team.

He said his time with the Thunder and Cavaliers gave him plenty of training time with young teams, insight that should serve him well with a maturing Hawks team.

"I'm excited," said Smith, 33, who will wear No. 32 with the Hawks. "I can't wait to get started."

More beef on the way?

Adding Joe Smith wasn't the Hawks' last frontcourt move of the summer. The Hawks are close to completing a deal to add veteran center Jason Collins.

Collins was in town for a workout with the Hawks two weeks ago and made a favorable impression. A 7-foot, 255-pound eight-year veteran, Collins would also sign a one-year deal at the veteran's minimum, as Smith did.

A quality defender with a physical presence, Collins also would provide depth and insurance in the frontcourt. He spent the first six and half years of his career in New Jersey, starting 404 games at center time there. Collins was a starter on the Nets' 2003 NBA Finals team.

Hunter coming to camp

Second-year forward Othello Hunter has committed to attend the Hawks' training camp, which kicks off late next month.

He'll join a growing list of camp invitees that already includes rookie free agent Garrett Siler, Frank Robinson and Courtney Sims.

I like the idea of signing Collins. He is a solid addition for an 11th man. He use to be a starter in this league but he just gives us some extra depth upfront in case someone gets injured.

Siler we should sign and send to the NBDL. I think a year of experience would do him well down there. He will get plenty of PT in the dl and show if he is NBA material or not.

ATL we on our way. Sund is making it happen. I think we can compete after we land J.Collins!!!!!!! Sund is getting a A+ for this off-season in my book. We just went from good to great!!!!maybe not elite but were getting there with the help of our beloved GM Sund!!!!!!!! Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!............................oh and Woody you have no excuses cause for the 1st time in a long time we actually have depth!!!!!!!!

.“That’s just a part of the equation when you’ve been around as long as I have,” Smith said and then laughed.

That’s in addition, of course, to playing his role in the Hawks’ playing rotation, which should stretch 10 players deep.

Smith, who signed a one-year deal for the veteran’s minimum last week, gives the Hawks an experienced two-deep rotation at all five positions.

“There isn’t much I haven’t seen during my time in the league,” said Joe Smith, the No. 1 overall pick in the 1995 NBA draft out of Maryland. “Honestly, the time has gone so fast that it’s hard to believe draft night was so long ago, but that’s why you have to take the things you’ve learned along the way and be ready to pass them on. I’m ready to do that on this team.”

Smith served in a similar capacity last season, both in Oklahoma City and Cleveland. He began the season with the Thunder, playing 36 games before being bought out and released. He played in 21 regular-season games after being picked up by the Cavaliers and saw action in 13 playoff games with the league’s best regular-season team.

“I’m excited,” said Smith, 33, who will wear No. 32 with the Hawks. “I can’t wait to get started.”

More beef on the way?

Collins was in town for a workout with the Hawks two weeks ago and made a favorable impression. A 7-foot, 255-pound eight-year veteran, Collins would also sign a one-year deal at the veteran’s minimum, as Smith did.

A quality defender with a physical presence, Collins also would provide depth and insurance in the frontcourt. He spent the first six and half years of his career in New Jersey, starting 404 games at center time there. Collins was a starter on the Nets’ 2003 NBA Finals team.

Hunter coming to camp

Second-year forward Othello Hunter has committed to attend the Hawks’ training camp, which kicks off late next month.

He’ll join a growing list of camp invitees that already includes rookie free agent Garrett Siler, Frank Robinson and Courtney Sims.

LOL at the actually going to sign Jason Collins. Dude hasn't contributions in at least 5 years and his contributes were not much in the place. Unless ZaZa gets hurt it will not matter that much though.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Why not? For a 11th - 12th man he is an excellent addition.

-He can't score

-He's slow

-He can't shoot free throws

-He is a mediocre rebounder

-He hasn't contributed to a team in 5 years. He wasn't even good nough to get off the bench for Minnesota.

Those should be enough reasons. He' probably the worst offensive player in the NBA and it's not like he has rebounding or versatility to make up for it. I'd rather have Randolph Morris.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

-He can't score

-He's slow

-He can't shoot free throws

-He is a mediocre rebounder

-He hasn't contributed to a team in 5 years. He wasn't even good nough to get off the bench for Minnesota.

Those should be enough reasons. He' probably the worst offensive player in the NBA and it's not like he has rebounding or versatility to make up for it. I'd rather have Randolph Morris.

Collins is bad in just about everything that has to do with stats. He has never avearaged 1 block in a season despite starting about 500 games. Never had 6.5 ppg or 6,5 rebounds in a season.

I wonder why he played in 75 playoff games, more than any hawks, and started in 58 of them, only 2nd to Bibby. He must do something that the coaches like.

All we need him to do is to take 6 good fouls, play as an enforcer, set good picks, take some offensive fouls and do some intangibles. We don't really need him to score. He can't be worse than Morris in the things we need help in.

Collins is bad in just about everything that has to do with stats. He has never avearaged 1 block in a season despite starting about 500 games. Never had 6.5 ppg or 6,5 rebounds in a season.

I wonder why he played in 75 playoff games, more than any hawks, and started in 58 of them, only 2nd to Bibby. He must do something that the coaches like.

All we need him to do is to take 6 good fouls, play as an enforcer, set good picks, take some offensive fouls and do some intangibles. We don't really need him to score. He can't be worse than Morris in the things we need help in.

Well people have been clamoring for a big to defend Shaq and Howard while hoping that a rookie with less than 6 years total of basketball experience would be the one to do it. Now we have Collins, a player who's only existance in the league is due to his years of steady post defense. I liken him to a poor man's Battier, a player that can impact a game without putting up the relevant stats you would associate with a defender.

You think he would last as a starting center now? The early part of the decade was weak and so were those Nets teams. he hasn't been playing the last 5 years cause he sucks.

You think he would last as a starting center now?

Absolutely NOT. I wouldn't want him as my 2nd cener either. As a 5th wheel he is ok for minimum salary. At least he has the experience that will stop him from making young man's mistakes. He can't be worse than Morris.

correction. Collins started 404 games not 500.

I would hate to see us go with him at the expense of Siler, although if he is at the end of the bench he won't get much pt.

If Siler is as good as some of us hope he is, he will take over as the 5th wheel anyway. On the other hand if Siler sucks, we have Collins as insurance. Better safe than sorry. Not like we invested anything more than Mario money.

• Admin

If Siler is as good as some of us hope he is, he will take over as the 5th wheel anyway. On the other hand if Siler sucks, we have Collins as insurance. Better safe than sorry. Not like we invested anything more than Mario money.

Siler is not ready for the NBA. Sign him to the minimum and send him to the DL. He could use a year in nbadl to show if he is nba material. Also, he will get plenty of experience and pt down there. Its a waste of time to have him on our roster right now.