• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How much would you pay Joe?

Diesel

What should Sund do?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Joe hasn't said "show me the money". All JJ has said is that I'm not foolish enough to sign a 4yr - 60 mill extension, when he knows that he could potentially lock down a contract that could pay him an extra 15 - 40 million over the life of a contract, because of an extra 5th or 6th year.

That's why NONE of the UFAs in 2010 signed extensions.

I think it's going to take a minimum 5 yr - 80 mill deal to bring this dude back ( which is what I've been saying all along ). All you have to do is look around the league, and see what is up and look at what teams need. The better JJ plays, the more desperate they will be to get him. The key to all of this will be how successful of a year we have durng the 1st half of the season, and if JJ will get major credit for it.

And the big question: If we have a real successful season, could he be enticed to stay here for less money, to keep the team intact?

Sund has to do what Babcock was afraid to do back in 1994 with Dominique . . . and that is let this thing play itself out. He and the ASG CANNOT be afraid to lose JJ for nothing.

If the Hawks are showing that they're right there at the top of the conference, you have to see if JJ and the Hawks can get it done and at least get us to the ECF. As great of a talent Crawford is, his talent is offensive ONLY. JJ has offensive and defensive talent, a rareity in a player in this league. That's why he'll be so valuable to teams.

If you trade him, you can't trade him for a complimentary player. You have to trade him for a bonafide scorer. I said before the season that the guy we played last night, Kevin Martin, might be the dude they try to get in a JJ trade. But Sacramento would be CRAZY to give him up. So management just needs to let this thing play itself out, and don't bite on any "fools gold" type deals that may come their way at the trading deadline ( like bringing in a Monta Ellis or somebody )

It's early, but I think the move they may consider making, is trading Marvin for decent, but expiring contract(s). If they do that, they may not disrupt the chemistry of the team that much, but it'll also mean that Joe Smith and especially Mo Evans ( or whatever player we'll get in a deal ) will have to step up big time. If they go that route, trading Marvin for a deal(s) that expire next summer should free up enough money to re-sign JJ at all costs, if it came to that.

We WON'T get equal value back in a deal like that though, so we shouldn't expect it. Just like Sacramento didn't get back equal value when they traded Bibby to us for Shelden, AJ, and Lue. All they wanted was the extra cap room.

Personally, I wouldn't do a damn thing. Worry about all of this when the season is over, hopefully, after a very deep playoff run. But overpaying for JJ ( if they view it like that ) isn't a bad thing, if it keeps us a playoff caliber team and near the top of the EC.

Joe is not worth 80 million dollars, especially if he continues to disappear when we need him most..

Well that means that your boy Smoove wasn't worth what he got either.

The fact is that in sports, it's not necessarily what amount of money he is worth . . it's what the market thinks he's worth. The market thought Smoove was an 11 million a year player. So if the market thinks that JJ is worth 16 million a year, that's what he is worth.

The Hawks can play the game of "chicken" if they want to. But they better remember what happened to 2 playoff teams 2 years ago . . LA Clippers and Golden State.

The Warriors played around with Baron Davis, thinking he wasn't worth the money he was asking for, and he left them to go to the Clippers. In that same season, the Clippers did the same thing with Elton Brand, and they ended up losing him.

Now granted, both players aren't playing nowhere near what they got in money, but the Clippers and Warriors slipped significantly, because they lost their best player and the guy the team was built around in the first place.

The Hawks better be careful as to be a little too cheap. I'm not for trading Marvin, but if that has to be done in order to keep JJ at an inflated price, I'm definitely doing that.

When the T-Wolves come at JJ with a 5yr - 90 million deal, the Hawks better counter with something somewhere in the ballpark. Either give him a 5yr - 80/85 mill deal . . or add that 6th year, and give him 100 mill.

Let it play out. There are too many factors at stake. The team's success is crucial. If the Hawks continue to improve on their win total and compete in the playoffs, Joe's not going to pull a Phoenix and bolt. He was never the the number one option. Heck, he bolted because he wanted to be the "guy". He has been in Atlanta, and he knows that. He's mainly responsible for the resurgence. Why leave that when the organization is keeping all of the core together and improving the bench? The addition of Jamal Crawford (He's the kicker in my mind), And of course, Joe's stats. It's too soon to predict what Joe is worth - and/if he will re-sign here.

Then again - if some team is willing to put a max deal on the table- it's all moot.

Well that means that your boy Smoove wasn't worth what he got either.

The fact is that in sports, it's not necessarily what amount of money he is worth . . it's what the market thinks he's worth. The market thought Smoove was an 11 million a year player. So if the market thinks that JJ is worth 16 million a year, that's what he is worth.

The Hawks can play the game of "chicken" if they want to. But they better remember what happened to 2 playoff teams 2 years ago . . LA Clippers and Golden State.

The Warriors played around with Baron Davis, thinking he wasn't worth the money he was asking for, and he left them to go to the Clippers. In that same season, the Clippers did the same thing with Elton Brand, and they ended up losing him.

Now granted, both players aren't playing nowhere near what they got in money, but the Clippers and Warriors slipped significantly, because they lost their best player and the guy the team was built around in the first place.

The Hawks better be careful as to be a little too cheap. I'm not for trading Marvin, but if that has to be done in order to keep JJ at an inflated price, I'm definitely doing that.

When the T-Wolves come at JJ with a 5yr - 90 million deal, the Hawks better counter with something somewhere in the ballpark. Either give him a 5yr - 80/85 mill deal . . or add that 6th year, and give him 100 mill.

Didn't read all that cause honestly I could careless what you have to say, like I said Joe doesn't deserve 80 mil. It's my opinion So>>>>>>>

Does anyone remember the “lean years?” Does anyone remember why we were able to draft Marv at 2, Childress at 6, Sheldon at 5, and Al at 3? Because we sucked – and watching suck basketball sucks. If we get rid of Joe we will suck again. Pay him whatever he wants and let’s keep the train rolling. Who here on this board get’s a percentage of what we come under the cap with? Sund has proven competent enough that he can move contracts – including Joe’s if he starts to show wear and tear – in THREE YEARS!!!!

Joe is worth more to us simply because we would possibly lose him for nothing. Also right now he is in the top 25 in salary if we paid him what he wants he immediately shoots into the top ten in salary and that opens up a ton of other questions like

Can Joe sufficiently fill the seats to warrant that type of salaried commitment to him ?At one point it will be over 20 million per year!

Have we seen enough from a leadership standpoint to suggest he can keep this team on a upward slope ?

How will this affect our ability to improve the team going forward ?

Are we prepared to S & T him ? what is our relationship with teams thats will have cap space ?

There are plenty of questions that need to be answered by next summer .