• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why does JJ have more FGA than LeBron?

jerrywest

JJ 18 FGA/gm.

LeBron17.9 FGA/gm.

Roy 14.8 FGA/gm.

(11/11/2009)

JJ's driving through double team brick walls reminds me of the cringes I had every time Smoove attempted a 3 last year.

I love how JJ has focused more on defense, rebounds and vocal leadership. However, noticing how hard it will be for Teague to develop next to JJ, I wonder how harmful JJ's presence has been for the offensive development of all our draft choices in the last 5 years.

JJ has taken exactly one more shot than Lebron.

One.

And here's a news flash . . JJ averaged 18.1 FGA last year, shooting .433

This year, he's averaging exactly 18 FGA, shooting .451

Now you tell me? Which JJ would you rather have?

Oh, and Lebron averaged 19.9 FGA ( 20 shots a game ) last year.

The only thing JJ isn't doing this year, is knocing down the 3-pointer. Because of that, he's taking less 3s and driving the ball to the hole more. Come playoff time, this is the version of JJ that has to show up. Not the one that is passing to his cold shooting teammates or actually waiting for them to make plays first. Not the one that Hawks fans literally BEGGED to force the action last year.

The JJ hate is amazing. Dude is trying to elevate his game, and some people are acting like he's actually playing worse basketball this year, than he was last year.

45% FG . . 91% FT . . 5.9 rebs . . are all up from last year. Turnovers are up, but still under 3 a game. Assists are down, but still over 4 a game.

Hawks are 6 - 2.

Seriously . . what's the problem?

Edited by northcyde

JJ has .5 more FGA in per minute basis. Even worse.

LeBron shooting .524

JJ shooting .451

JJ has a better shooting % then 7 out of the 10 players who have more FGA per minute. That includes guys like Camelo, Dirk, Arenas, K. Martin, and Durant who shoot the ball more then JJ with a lower FG%.....and Wade's FG% is only .02 better then JJ.

Edited by coachx

JJ has taken exactly one more shot than Lebron.

One.

And here's a news flash . . JJ averaged 18.1 FGA last year, shooting .433

This year, he's averaging exactly 18 FGA, shooting .451

Now you tell me? Which JJ would you rather have?

Oh, and Lebron averaged 19.9 FGA ( 20 shots a game ) last year.

The only thing JJ isn't doing this year, is knocing down the 3-pointer. Because of that, he's taking less 3s and driving the ball to the hole more. Come playoff time, this is the version of JJ that has to show up. Not the one that is passing to his cold shooting teammates or actually waiting for them to make plays first. Not the one that Hawks fans literally BEGGED to force the action last year.

The JJ hate is amazing. Dude is trying to elevate his game, and some people are acting like he's actually playing worse basketball this year, than he was last year.

45% FG . . 91% FT . . 5.9 rebs . . are all up from last year. Turnovers are up, but still under 3 a game. Assists are down, but still over 4 a game.

Hawks are 6 - 2.

Seriously . . what's the problem?

NO HATE. Was I hating when I yelled at Smoove not to shoot 3s?

I mentioned I like his focus on defense, rebounds and vocal leadership.

He needs to trust his teammates more and not force it. This team has far better and improved players than the one he played in last year.

Smoove said his assists are way up because he got better teammates this year.

http://sports.espn.g...s?playerId=1007

08-09ATL797939.57.8-18.0.4371.9-5.2.3603.8-4.6.8261.100.202.52.20.83.64.45.821.4 09-10ATL8837.38.1-18.0.4511.1-4.3.2653.6-4.0.9060.800.102.92.50.85.15.94.321.0

Why is JJ's assists down from 5.8 to 4.3? He lost 25%of the assists he was making last year.

Just pass it Joe.

Why is JJ's turnovers up from 2.5 to 2.9? That's a 17% increase.

Just pass it Joe.

He is rebounding well which is great. His offensive rebounding is exactly the same (0.8). He is just positioning himself better to get those defensive rebounds. (up 3.6 to 5.1) A 40% jump. Excellent.

Steals down 1.1 to 0.8. Blocks down 0.2 to 0.1. Fouls up 2.2 to 2.5. Small things.

His shooting percentage is up and that's because he is shooting more 2s. When you take into account 3fgs, his ef% is down.

With all those penetration, his FTA is still down. 4.6 to 4.0. He lost 14% of his FTA.

I think its time for JJ to understand that all the things he has been taking through the media should be asked to himself first. The answer lies within.

http://sports.espn.g...s?playerId=1007

Edited by jerrywest

• Premium Member

JJ has .5 more FGA in per minute basis. Even worse.

LeBron shooting .524

JJ shooting .451

I wasn't arguing. Just pointing out that this kind of comparison should be made on a per minute basis.

Also, if you wanna look at shooting efficiency, you should use eFG%. It takes into consideration the point value of the shot:

B-R.com

Among the 26 high-volume (15+ FGA/MP) players, JJ is 15th in efficiency. Not great, but not putrid. Roy is 12th, Wade 16th.

Edited by mrhonline

• Moderators

Also, if you wanna look at shooting efficiency, you should use eFG%. It takes into consideration the point value of the shot:

TS%! ;)

Seriously, people don't understand why JJ tries to go iso when he has been told to do this for his entire Hawks career by his Coach and is still almost assuredly being told that by his coach?

This is a scheme issue. JJ didn't suddenly become selfish overnight. He can do a better job moving the ball but the plays being run have him shooting as the default setting.

Also, as someone pointed out, JJ has been pretty efficient compared to a lot of guys on that list. If he is selfish, how about someone like Danny Granger? Yikes.

• Premium Member

TS%! ;)

Rightly or wrongly, I've always distinguished between shooting efficiency (eFG%) and scoring efficiency (TS%).

Hoopinionblog's recent use of points/per possession seems like an even better step in the right direction, but, alas...I don't have the time to research it right now.

Seriously, people don't understand why JJ tries to go iso when he has been told to do this for his entire Hawks career by his Coach and is still almost assuredly being told that by his coach? This is a scheme issue. JJ didn't suddenly become selfish overnight. He can do a better job moving the ball but the plays being run have him shooting as the default setting.

The way those Knicks players were passing in the first half, I was like, why can't we do that? Not like those guys are more athletic, or smarter or better athletes than our players.

The way those Knicks players were passing in the first half, I was like, why can't we do that? Not like those guys are more athletic, or smarter or better athletes than our players.

Again you are avoiding the issue of scheme. Antoni's scheme is predicated on passing and movement ours on Isos.

Edited by CrawfulToCrawesome

• Premium Member

Again you are avoiding the issue of scheme. Antoni's scheme is predicated on passing and movement ours on Isos.

And that's exactly why no one called JJ selfish in Phoenix even though he was lead guard on a LOT of possessions and was, in D'Antoni's words, essentially the backup PG.