• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How does Al Horford become an all star this year?

jerrywest

First thing first - Al needs to dominate Noah on national TV tonight.

If the Celtics stay hot, Garnett and Pierce will take away two of the front court spots. Bosh/LeBron/Howard are shoe-ins. Smoove will make it before Al. Injury to Granger opens up the 7th spot.

If the Hawks stay with the elite and the Bucks/Nets/Bulls stay terrible, Al will be picked up before Bogut/Lopez/Noah.

Al's asking prize as a free agent will go up if he becomes an all star.

• Admin

First thing first - Al needs to dominate Noah on national TV tonight.

If the Celtics stay hot, Garnett and Pierce will take away two of the front court spots. Bosh/LeBron/Howard are shoe-ins. Smoove will make it before Al. Injury to Granger opens up the 7th spot.

If the Hawks stay with the elite and the Bucks/Nets/Bulls stay terrible, Al will be picked up before Bogut/Lopez/Noah.

Al's asking prize as a free agent will go up if he becomes an all star.

I think the only way we get 3 all stars is if we have the best record in the East. There are a lot of deserving players so it will be hard to justify.

I think the only way we get 3 all stars is if we have the best record in the East. There are a lot of deserving players so it will be hard to justify.

Boston will already have Garnett and Pierce. Allen + Rondo aren't Al's competition. I don't think East will send 6 guards.

Orlando will get Howard and Carter. If R.Lewis plays great rest of the way, he might get the 7th front court spot.

Cavs will get LeBron and ???. No front court all star candidate. Shaq who?

Hawks - JJ + Smoove.

Bosh is in. Granger is injured.

There is not much competition for Al except Rashad. He will probably get in before Bogut/Lopez/Lee/Noah/Jamison.

• Admin

Boston will already have Garnett and Pierce. Allen + Rondo aren't Al's competition. I don't think East will send 6 guards.

Orlando will get Howard and Carter. If R.Lewis plays great rest of the way, he might get the 7th front court spot.

Cavs will get LeBron and ???. No front court all star candidate. Shaq who?

Hawks - JJ + Smoove.

Bosh is in. Granger is injured.

There is not much competition for Al except Rashad. He will probably get in before Bogut/Lopez/Lee/Noah/Jamison.

Allen is not going to make it.

The all star game will not have all players from the same teams. THere is always an attempt for some represetation. Lopez has been just a force and the only thing that will hold him back is the teams record (however with players back from injury the Nets have been playing better). Noah has been the Bulls spark and would get in ahead of Horford if the Hawks do not have the top record (so the Bulls can have a spot). I don't know if Bogut gets in but he has been playing really well too, I think it will depend on if Jennings gets a bid. Granger will be back in January so he will get his bid.

Gerald Wallace if he keeps this is up will force himself into the AS game. It is unreal someone his size is leading the league in rebounding.

And I'm loving it because he's on my fantasy team!!!

Al's not going to make it unless he suddenly starts getting 18-20 points and 10-12 boards every night. We have too many options for that to happen.

JJ will get in on equal parts production and rep, and Josh will for his overall game and being the x-factor, especially on D, for our start this year. I really think Josh has a great shot at DPOY, barring any letdown or injury.

The question is, if LeBron competes in the slam dunk contest, will Josh throw his hat in the ring? A BronBron vs. Smoove final would be absolutely sick.

• Premium Member

Bogut will probably go over Lopez if the Bucks stay this much better than the Nets and if the Mil PG doesn't go.

If the Nets' winning percentage stays below .150, Lopez won't make the All-Star team. Not if Al is playing for a team with a .700+ winning percentage and is averaging a double-double. And not when Al is a better defender, better rebounder, better passer, and more efficient scorer.

Really, the only justification for putting Lopez on the team is that he has a better scoring average, but that doesn't mean much when your team's only other scoring option for most of the year has been Chris Douglas-Roberts. He also has more blocks, but I have a feeling that wouldn't be true if Lopez were playing alongside Josh Smith (a fact that the coaches are going to recognize).

As for Bogut, his stats are not really any better than Al's at this point, and he plays on a lesser team. And, like Lopez, he is a mediocre on-ball defender. I think Al is a frontrunner assuming that the coaches decide to overlook the ever-high marketing appeal of Shaq.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

If the Nets' winning percentage stays below .150, Lopez won't make the All-Star team. Not if Al is playing for a team with a .700+ winning percentage and is averaging a double-double. And not when Al is a better defender, better rebounder, better passer, and more efficient scorer.

Really, the only justification for putting Lopez on the team is that he has a better scoring average, but that doesn't mean much when your team's only other scoring option for most of the year has been Chris Douglas-Roberts. He also has more blocks, but I have a feeling that wouldn't be true if Lopez were playing alongside Josh Smith (a fact that the coaches are going to recognize).

As for Bogut, his stats are not really any better than Al's at this point, and he plays on a lesser team. And, like Lopez, he is a mediocre on-ball defender. I think Al is a frontrunner assuming that the coaches decide to overlook the ever-high marketing appeal of Shaq.

I would take Lopez hands down over Horford both on an All-star team and on the real Hawks.

Lopez's numbers:

19.3 PPG

9.1 RPG

2.18 BLK

1.7 AST

on .495 FG% and .833 FT%. He's also only 21 years old.

Horford:

13.3 PPG

9.5 RPG

1.4 BLK

2.1 AST

on .572 FG% and .750 FT%. He is two years older and he's in his third year in the NBA.

Lopez is also a legit seven foot center with a big body while Horford is two to three inches to shorter. I like Al but he'll always be playing out of position at center while Lopez is a natural center.

Right... this all comes down to who gets selected as the backup center in the East behind Howard. Really the choices are Shaq, Lopez, Horford, and Bogut. (Noah was on the list but the Bulls are just too putrid) Shaq doesn't deserve it on any level whatsoever but it wouldn't shock me for him to get it. Since I don't think that Jennings will get selected I think that Bogut will get it.