• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe Dumars would have changed coaches by now.

Diesel

• Premium Member

This is not a Woody bashing thread. However, I'm wondering... does Woody have it. Is he a coach that can take us to the next level. I know that the players love Woody. I know that Woody has been here for the last 5 years through tough circumstances. A rebuild. However, I still wonder... is Woody a guy who can navigate the playoffs and get us to the finals? Before we say no... let's look at some alternatives:

Avery Johnson = He has been to the finals. He had MVP quality talent. He preaches defense and some has criticized his focus on offense. He failed to develop Devin Harris and allowed a trade for Kidd.

Lawrence Frank = He took two very unworthy NJ teams to the finals. Some say he drafted off of Byron Scott's speed. He is not a defensive coach but he's a good Xs and Os man.

Byron Scott = He is a good developer of teams but he hasn't reached the finals yet. Some say that he's lazy when it comes to preparation. He has been successful everywhere he has gone.

Mike Fratello = Everybody in Atlanta loves to dream about Mike Fratello coaching the Hawks again. He's abrasive which would be good for some of our players. He's a good Xs and Os guy who coaches to his players ability and doesn't try to mold them into a scheme.

Right now, our offense is chugging along nicely. That has been part of the problem previously. I think we need to wait and see how we fare against the elite in the league.

I think Woody has been fortunate to still be here. I believe that the ownership situation helped Woody to stay here. Most times in sports history the coach doesn't get to see the rebuild all the way through. Not saying Woody didn't deserve to stay but that is where I think the ownership dispute came in. I think the coaching side of this off season will be an interesting story line as well. I know how Woody is regarded around these parts but lets be hypothetical. If we win 50 games advance to at least the 2nd round of the playoffs then will Woody be in demand? Will a team pursue him and use the example of the rebuild of the Hawks as the reason why?

• Moderators

I'm pretty sure Byron Scott took the Nets to the finals twice. I've wanted Woody gone for a while but i'm not even mentioning it now. The team is clicking on all cylinders. I think Sund is waiting to see what happens in the playoffs too. I don't know that any of the guys you mentioned would be head and shoulders above Woody. All I know is that when the guys are playing 'the right way' and respecting the coach and winning at a .700 clip its not time to talk about coaching changes. Basically Joe will get to decide Woody's fate in contract negotiations and it seems like he wants to keep him.

I have thought all along that the Hawks have been improving MOSTLY due to the players getting better each year and learning how to play with each other. NOT because of anything Woody has done. I have seen enough of him to realize he is not a great coach....especially during the game. I never see him make any halftime adjustments that have a positive effect on the game. He is way too conservative and only this year started using his bench more. He still lets Joe dribble too much and runs too many ISO plays. Everyone knows the Hawks are at their best when running in transisition, but yet we sometimes become a half court jump shooting team. Woody let Josh do whatever he wanted for years and only because Josh himself realized he wasn't a 3 point shooter, did he turn things around this year.

Woody is just an adequate coach, but if the Hawks want to truly jump to the level of possible NBA champ, they need an elite coach. Now whether or not there is someone available next year who is better than Woody is another story? It's like our situation at Center. We know Al is really a PF, but there aren't any better big men available, so he's our best option at center. Woody may still be our best option at coach. Do we win BECAUSE of him? I doubt it. Does he lose games for us? Not too much anymore. But I still say we win IN SPITE of Woody...not BECAUSE OF him.

Edited by JackB1

• Premium Member

I have thought all along that the Hawks have been improving MOSTLY due to the players getting better each year and learning how to play with each other. NOT because of anything Woody has done. I have seen enough of him to realize he is not a great coach....especially during the game. I never see him make any halftime adjustments that have a positive effect on the game. He is way too conservative and only this year started using his bench more. He still lets Joe dribble too much and runs too many ISO plays. Everyone knows the Hawks are at their best when running in transisition, but yet we sometimes become a half court jump shooting team. Woody let Josh do whatever he wanted for years and only because Josh himself realized he wasn't a 3 point shooter, did he turn things around this year.

Woody is just an adequate coach, but if the Hawks want to truly jump to the level of possible NBA champ, they need an elite coach. Now whether or not there is someone available next year who is better than Woody is another story? It's like our situation at Center. We know Al is really a PF, but there aren't any better big men available, so he's our best option at center. Woody may still be our best option at coach. Do we win BECAUSE of him? I doubt it. Does he lose games for us? Not too much anymore. But I still say we win IN SPITE of Woody...not BECAUSE OF him.

I don't think players can get better and learn how to play with each other without some coaching. I think Woody lacks emphasis on offense and is a good defensive coach. Adjustment wise, I think we have seen it in the playoffs. Both in the Boston Series and the Heat Series, I think Woody has made good game to game adjustments. However, the question is still out there as to weather it was a lack of talent keeping this team down or a lack of coaching. This is the year and right now, we have talent and we're looking beastly. What part of this does Woody get to take credit for?

I'd EASILY rather have Woodson than any of those guys. Seriously... the Hawks have the top offense in the league and people are still complaining about the offense wanting woodson to be fired. Ridiculous.

(Just checked- and Phoenix passed the Hawks last night so the Hawks are now the second best offense. FIRE HIM!!!)

Edited by spotatl

I'd EASILY rather have Woodson than any of those guys. Seriously... the Hawks have the top offense in the league and people are still complaining about the offense wanting woodson to be fired. Ridiculous.

(Just checked- and Phoenix passed the Hawks last night so the Hawks are now the second best offense. FIRE HIM!!!)

I wish people would stop confusing our scoring with an offense. Our "offense" is because we are top 3 in the league in fast break points, second chance points, and rebounds. Those are all hustle stats that have nothing to do with "offense" or Woody. Woody blows and the only reason our team is doing this good this year is because they are finally running, The team does what it wants and thankfully the athletic talent is superior to Woody's offense.

• Moderators

Dumars is not a perfect GM by any means and I think it would be crazy to get rid of Woodson at this point in time in light of the success we are having this season. I would play out the year and reassess at the end of it.

Dumars is not a perfect GM by any means and I think it would be crazy to get rid of Woodson at this point in time in light of the success we are having this season. I would play out the year and reassess at the end of it.

Don't get me wrong, as much as I think Woody is mediocre on a good day, it would be absolutely insane to make a coaching change now. For all you Woody lovers you still forget the man has ONE winning season and a career .391 winning %. Those are the facts no matter what you want to make him out to be.

• Like 1

The roster is build to be better in transition than in the half court so Woodson gets criticized for having the #2 offense in the league despite this? Ridiculous. I repeat- the Hawks are the #2 offense in the league even though there are many teams personnel I'd rather have on offense. The Hawks have had a better offense this season than the Lakers yet Woodson still gets criticized. Seriously... People here are acting like the Hawks would have the best offense in the history of the league if they simply had a coach that was paying more attention.

I wish people would stop bitching and moaning about how ugly the offense is and start looking at the results. Seriously- you have been bitching about the offense for so long that you can't even stop to recognize when its time to stop.

Edited by spotatl

• Moderators

The roster is build to be better in transition than in the half court so Woodson gets criticized for having the #2 offense in the league despite this? Ridiculous. I repeat- the Hawks are the #2 offense in the league even though there are many teams personnel I'd rather have on offense. The Hawks have had a better offense this season than the Lakers yet Woodson still gets criticized. Seriously... People here are acting like the Hawks would have the best offense in the history of the league if they simply had a coach that was paying more attention.

I wish people would stop bitching and moaning about how ugly the offense is and start looking at the results. Seriously- you have been bitching about the offense for so long that you can't even stop to recognize when its time to stop.

Sorry. When the game turns into a halfcourt battle in the post-season, I don't believe the Hawks or Cavs are well-served by going with an iso heavy offense.

Sorry- all offenses look worse in the playoffs because you are facing better teams and the defenses are better. It doesn't matter whether its ISO's or motion- all offenses have a tougher time. If you want to say that the Hawks defense isn't up to the task then I'm right there with you. But complaining about the offense this season is just ridiculous.

In the playoffs I still think the Hawks offense shoudl be about not turning the ball over and keeping the ball in the Hawks of the best offensive players until the defense is unsettled. In the playoffs the Hawks aren't going to be better off running an offense they dont' have the personnel for just because the calendar changes. The NBA has made 1 on 1 defense virtually illegal yet you are complaining about woodson taking advantage of that. I just don't get it.

Edited by spotatl

LOL . . . it gets more hilarious by the minute doesn't it? And don't mention that the SWITCHING DEFENSE that everyone hates, is a big reason why the offensive numbers are up. If Smoove happens to be caught on the outside challenging a shot, and we get a rebound off of a miss, guess who's already at half court, on the fast break?

Why do people think he's shooting so well this year? He's getting the ball a lot in transition, and in early offensive opportunities.

People just want this fluid Pete Carill Princeton system here, instead of enjoying the fact that we do play well on both ends of the floor most of the time. The defense and rebounding creates a lot of our offense . . . just like Woody likes it. Which is why he preaches defense and rebounding more than he does half court offense.

Good job Woody.

Sorry. When the game turns into a halfcourt battle in the post-season, I don't believe the Hawks or Cavs are well-served by going with an iso heavy offense.

AHF . . you've watched the league for a long time. In the playoffs, which teams usually excel on offense? The one plays great defense and the one who has the great ISO player, that's who. The Cavs lost because they couldn't defend Orlando, and their supposed role players weren't making shots. LeBron needs another guy alongside him that can consistently create his own shot. He and Wade are in the same boat this year, which is probably why they won't win. Boston has 3 guys who can create their own shot and the Lakers have 4. At least we have 2 guys who can do it. That does give us a puncher's chance.

If fluid offense is the answer, why hasn't Phoenix ever made it to an NBA Final?

I'll "recognize" when it's time to stop when I see a different system. You take away our fast breaks and our offensive put backs and it is the SAME offense. Please explain what is so different about it this year than the last 4? One example will do, thanks.

Why do people think he's shooting so well this year? He's getting the ball a lot in transition, and in early offensive opportunities.

Stop being such a homer for once please. It seriously makes your posts nearly impossible to read. The reason Smoove is shooting so well this year is because he is doing the exact opposite of what Woody allowed him to do...he's taking better shots. There is absolutely no other reason that is percentage is up. He's simply not shooting 3's and not nearly as many long jumpers. Are you really that hard up for management and coaching that you can't see the blatant obvious???

The Hawks have fewer turnovers per possession in the league by a huge margin which is why their offense has been so good. Ironically going to LESS motion has helped the offense. You don't care about results- you care about how pretty the offense is.

The Hawks don't have the personnel to grind it out in the halfcourt game. They dont' have a legitimate post threat on the roster and the PG is terrible at exploiting matchups at this point in his career. Yet you think this is a criticism of Woodson for some ridiculous reason. Woodson has taken this group of players and has the SECOND BEST OFFENSE IN THE LEAGUE. And you are complaining because its not pretty enough. So you want the Hawks to run the same offense as teams who have better personnel who aren't even equaling the hawks production. Ridiculous.

Edited by spotatl

The defense and rebounding creates a lot of our offense . . . just like Woody likes it. Which is why he preaches defense and rebounding more than he does half court offense.

Good job Woody.

For all the defense and rebounding preaching he does he's never had a team do either well. You do realize that don't you?? For the record the Lakers and the Celtics, you know the past 2 Champs, have an offensive scheme. You CAN NOT WIN in the playoffs without one. The game slows down and iso Joe is not going to work. Please explain to me how iso Joe is going to work for us.