• Current Donation Goals

• Raised 390.00 USD of 700.00 USD target

Josh Childress

mattlanta

• Premium Member

this team was never planning on having a seven footer and they still not going that way. the reason chill never started was he was drafted to be our shooting guard with joe being the point. when joe refuse to play point he was left out. our bigs were to always be interchangeable like they are with marvin,smooth, and horford just like they are. he was never given the chance to start because he could not bang with the pf& centers players like marvin can. if marvin is replaced the guy will not be a small player like chill or even crawford but a big that can play all the bigs on the switches. Joe can do it but he needs to stay at the 2 for al the smalls that he can push around just like billups do with most pg.

Joe may push around little 2s but he doesn't defend them so well. That's part of the reason we have that horrible switching defense. It's easier on Joe and Marvin if somebody just switched off with them than them trying to keep up with a man. The problem is you give the offense the matchup that they want.

Marvin is improving even as it may be incrementally. He continues to give glimpses of being a starter quality SF in this league.

That's so funny - especially since he IS a starter...............free ride.

"OK here's the scoop guys...we got a center who has shown himsel to be a real up-and-comer, he played on the Olympic practice team and was on the rookie all-star team. We got a PF who will likely make the all-star team and has a real shot as DPOY since he leads the league in blocks and steals balls like a pick-pocket and dunks over everybody. We also have a SG who is an all-star and who can take over a game - going inside and outside and shoots threes. We got a PG who was an all-star who can still hit the big shots, understands the game, and feeds the ball to our bigs for dunks and alley-oops."

...and we got Marvin. A player who takes away from our SG because he is no threat to drive to the hoop, who isn't an effective inside player either, and he can't hit open shots often enough.

So we just go 4 on 5 right?

Edited by DJlaysitup

That's so funny - especially since he IS a starter...............free ride.

"OK here's the scoop guys...we got a center who has shown himsel to be a real up-and-comer, he played on the Olympic practice team and was on the rookie all-star team. We got a PF who will likely make the all-star team and has a real shot as DPOY since he leads the league in blocks and steals balls like a pick-pocket and dunks over everybody. We also have a SG who is an all-star and who can take over a game - going inside and outside and shoots threes. We got a PG who was an all-star who can still hit the big shots, understands the game, and feeds the ball to our bigs for dunks and alley-oops."

...and we got Marvin. A player who takes away from our SG because he is no threat to drive to the hoop, who isn't an effective inside player either, and he can't hit open shots often enough.

So we just go 4 on 5 right?

If you are going to define it like that then you mean 3 on 5 because Bibby was never an allstar and is declined in every statistical category, outside of shooting, from last year including his assists while still remaining a defensive sieve. Face it, we start one allstar, a prospective star, a superglue guy and 2 role players and as per the OP, getting Chills back will not change that dynamic of our team.

Edited by CrawfulToCrawesome

If you are going to define it like that then you mean 3 on 5 because Bibby was never an allstar and is declined in every statistical category, outside of shooting, from last year including his assists while still remaining a defensive sieve. Face it, we start one allstar, a prospective star, a superglue guy and 2 role players and as per the OP, getting Chills back will not change that dynamic of our team.

Well Bibbs was an "all rookie" all-star and lead his team to the finals if it weren't for cheating referees....so not sure who the "superglue guy" is (Mo?) but I'm talking about starters.

C - Al Horford - a very up and coming talent with international experience - tough as nails

PF - Smoove - a probable all-star this year with stats to beat the band in many ways - can dominate a game - possible DPOY

SF - Marvin - an uncoordinated goober who gets stats where he can but is unimportant in competitve games

SG - Joe Johnson - an all-star who can take over games in the clutch and do it all inside and out (and rebound)

PG - Mike Bibby - a previous rookie all-star who took his team deep into the playoffs only to be beaten by cheating NBA refs and is still a clutch shooter and passer

Edited by DJlaysitup

Well Bibbs was an "all rookie" all-star and lead his team to the finals if it weren't for cheating referees....so not sure who the "superglue guy" is (Mo?) but I'm talking about starters.

C - Al Horford - a very up and coming talent with international experience - tough as nails

PF - Smoove - a probable all-star this year with stats to beat the band in many ways - can dominate a game - possible DPOY

SF - Marvin - an uncoordinated goober who gets stats where he can but is unimportant in competitve games

SG - Joe Johnson - an all-star who can take over games in the clutch and do it all inside and out (and rebound)

PG - Mike Bibby - a previous rookie all-star who took his team deep into the playoffs only to be beaten by cheating NBA refs and is still a clutch shooter and passer

Again, Marvin made an All-Rookie team also, that does not classify you as an Allstar so I don't know where you are getting that. Horf, Josh, Chills, JJ and Joe Smith made the All-Rookie teams also, outside of JJ are they all former Allstars too?

The year Bibby "led" the Kings to the conf. finals he was nowhere close to his best years yet alone the best player on that team. Add in that the coach of that team is currently coaching the Houston Rockets to the 5th best record in the West with Trevor Ariza as their best player, and I wouldn't discount his contributions either. He also took the eventual champs to 7 last year with no TMac and Yao so it's not a fluke that he coached a team with Chris Webber as it best player and Doug Christie and ancient Vlade Divac as the other starters to consecutive deep playoff runs.

I am talking about starters as well. Joe is the star, Josh is the prospective but nothing is written in stone yet, Horf is the superglue and both Bibby and Marvin are the role players. They both contribute on offense in the same manner, off wide open jumpers, the difference being that Bibby is hitting and Marvin is not as much. Their extra contributions is Bibby on assists/playrunning and Marvin on rebounds/defense but outside of that their stats are comparable. You are arguing that a player averaging 9 and 4 in 28 minutes is contributing lightyears ahead of a player averaging 10 and 5 in 29 minutes when the fact is, given their roles, they are both performing adequately for the team. Again, pertaining to the OP, this thread is discussing replacing a role player with an arguably lesser role player. You are not changing the roles of the player or what they are asked to do within the scheme.

Edited by CrawfulToCrawesome

I don't think that at all. Chillz had nothing to do with us getting Crawford.

The turning point for this team is Smoove finally seeing the light and us getting Crawford. Neither of these are related to Chillz. If Chillz were here we'd still be good. Maybe even better.

If Chills were here, we'd definately be better. Chills would give us a ton of options. Right now when Crawford comes in for JJ we lose a post-up sg and of course we lose at defense. Chills fills that role. And he can also help this team when he isn't scoring, unlike Crawford. Plus I think Chills could easily replace Evans..we all know Chills was good at making wide-open 3's..he'd be getting plenty of those playing off Crawford, just like Evans does. Our bench would become STACKED. Chills would be arguably the most athletic player on the 2nd team. Bring him back, let Evans walk.

We would be better without a doubt. Chillz walked bacuase Sund put him on the burner after Chillz was ready to sign. While on Sund's burner, 20 mil./per knocked on the door.

Josh Childress did the right thing.

Now having maxed his porfolio, he probably will be interested in 6-7 annually and with the Hawks deeply contending.

:thumbsupsmileyanim: I hope your right. Since we drafted Chillz everyone said he'd be great for a playoff/contender team. We are exactly that now and should be welcoming Chillz with open arms. Hopefully all his hard feelings against us are forgiven(Although it's hard to forgive trying to make somebody replace you and take your number "Evans").

I would not mess with our team until we see what it can do for a year or two (of course losing JJ will mean the team has already been messed with). We are young, improving, and pretty darn good as is. If we can win enough regular season games to get homecourt advantage, we can beat anyone.

Chillz was my favorite Hawk but I think Marvin fits better. Marvin just needs to get some confidence. If you go to a game, watch him shoot in warmups, he never misses. He'll always be clumsy, but he can shoot. I think someone needs to convince him to hit the gym for a year or two and add some muscle. Maybe the muscle will help his balance as well as his confidence. Otherwise, he's just a good role player for our team. It's just disappointing that we drafted a role player so high.

I would not mess with our team until we see what it can do for a year or two (of course losing JJ will mean the team has already been messed with). We are young, improving, and pretty darn good as is. If we can win enough regular season games to get homecourt advantage, we can beat anyone.

Chillz was my favorite Hawk but I think Marvin fits better. Marvin just needs to get some confidence. If you go to a game, watch him shoot in warmups, he never misses. He'll always be clumsy, but he can shoot. I think someone needs to convince him to hit the gym for a year or two and add some muscle. Maybe the muscle will help his balance as well as his confidence. Otherwise, he's just a good role player for our team. It's just disappointing that we drafted a role player so high.

It's too bad that shots warming up don't mean jackshit. 75% of the players in the league make wide open shots especially in practice.

I watched the 2nd quarter of Olympiakos' game against LIU from like Dec 16 on NBA HD. It was the Euroleague game of the week or something along those lines. I just switched providers and didn't have the channel before so it was new to me.

Chillz didn't do jack ish when he was in the game. they passed the ball to him twice over an8 to 10 minute on the court span. once he threw up an ugly 3 (Teague has his ugly 3 pt stroke btw in case anyone hasn't noticed yet) and the other time he made the layup on a fast break.

My point is this guy isn't even the go to guy on Olympiakos - these guys are playing in glorified civic centers - you can hear the air horns in the background

Kleiza was balling. Chillz - a waste of time and internet bandwidth on the Squawk IMO

DOn't take my word for it. Watch him play and then tell me I'm wrong.

I watched the 2nd quarter of Olympiakos' game against LIU from like Dec 16 on NBA HD. It was the Euroleague game of the week or something along those lines. I just switched providers and didn't have the channel before so it was new to me.

Chillz didn't do jack ish when he was in the game. they passed the ball to him twice over an8 to 10 minute on the court span. once he threw up an ugly 3 (Teague has his ugly 3 pt stroke btw in case anyone hasn't noticed yet) and the other time he made the layup on a fast break.

My point is this guy isn't even the go to guy on Olympiakos - these guys are playing in glorified civic centers - you can hear the air horns in the background

Kleiza was balling. Chillz - a waste of time and internet bandwidth on the Squawk IMO

DOn't take my word for it. Watch him play and then tell me I'm wrong.

I saw that game, he did not impress.

The whole game looked Helter-Skelter to me. I saw little rhythm. Just second-rate ball.

Chillz was always a complimentary player and coming back to a team/league he is familiar with will make him an easy fit if he does decide to come back. Teague, Crawford, Childress and Evan would fight for position(unless JJ left). When has friendly competition been bad for our team. This is also a deadly team if we're playing small ball. A combination of Jamal and Childress as reserves replacing Joe and Marvin or Smoove and Bibby. Our team was built for this versatility and Chillz was/is a key piece. Smoove and companies missed jumpers will be easier to swallow with a Childress and Evan's offensive reBOUND. A line up of Chills, JJ, Marvin, Smoove and Horford we are a very tough team to rebound against offensively and defensively. JC's, Joe's, Smith's with all the confusion for the opposing teams and the Chemistry builder's for our team it will be hard to stop us. Because of Chillz length he can play spot pf minutes in small/quick ball. Childress and an improved Morris(or young athletic defensive and rebounding rookie) are the missing links to our already improved team. This won't disturb the chemistry or put a damper on the floor since we are getting a player who is familiar with the system and has a good relation with the personal of the team in Josh Childress. Teague is our future PG and Bibby shows plenty of life that he will play a big backup role. If Joe does leave Jamal can start and Chillz and Evan's can still play big backup roles. Teague,Marvin, Smoove and Horford will be even better especially if they have to step up in Joe's abscence. Once Crawford get's a taste of winning at a high level he is going to be even more viscous and is a better play maker than Joe although Joe's strength will be missed.

When you have a team this loaded you can not add too many more pieces because there is not enough balls to go around but with a complimentary player like Chillz (who also will get better especially in Joe's abscence). Even if we add another big he is going to have a limited role offensively. This big will have to bring more than scoring to the table like defense and rebounding.

We must admit that our team is well equipped and that we don't need too many more pieces to add to the puzzle. Chillz was and still can be a great piece to our puzzle (especially since most of the puzzle has been fixed). Our main question is Chillz pride(being rejected) vs. his pride(winning/competing for a championship on the World's biggest basketball stage)