• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith shot chart (via RealGM)

mrhonline

* Many have argued that Josh needs to stop shooting jumpers for years. They are right. Josh taking a jumper is giving the defense exactly what they want.

* Josh should never play SF. He does not do well in the traditional SF role on offense and struggles on D on the perimeter which also neutralizes his very high value as an interior help defender.

* If mrhonline's assumption that the ASG will not pay for all three of our young frontline players, Marvin is the most expedible in my eyes by a long-shot and should be easily tradeable with his contract. I think Horford and Smith can be a special combination and would not let them go without getting back an absolute stud. I see this a wholly separate issue from whether we would want to deal Josh for a center like Kaman (no) or Lopez (yes). If we can't afford Horf, Smoove and Marvin then we can't afford Kaman, Horf and Marvin.

My question is when did Kaman become a player we can get? If we can get him straight up for Smith, this is something we should do as soon as possible. A starting 7 foot center for a starting 6'8" power forward; I think this is a pipedream and has never been and will never be on the table. Throw in Teague or our 1st round pick maybe they do it; but I still doubt it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is when did Kaman become a player we can get? If we can get him straight up for Smith, this is something we should do as soon as possible. A starting 7 foot center for a starting 6'8" power forward; I think this is a pipedream and has never been and will never be on the table. Throw in Teague or our 1st round pick maybe they do it; but I still doubt it.

It probably is a pipe dream with Smoove.

However, JJ for Kaman / Gordon may be realistic if the Clippers want and expiring contract to save money. With both Camby and JJ coming off the books they could throw big money at the big name FAs to come to L.A. or the owner could pocket the money for his own pockets. Clippers have a long history of being cheap are just so happen to be the same team we traded Nique's expiring deal tool. The level of De Ja Vue is all over the place.

The only way I do that deal is IF Sund thinks the best chance we have at resigning JJ is 50/50. I don't want to risk losing JJ for nothing, or close to nothing, in a crappy sign and trade deal in the off season.

• Moderators

You are right about this. I think the assumption last year was that the Clippers were losing, were paying a lot to Kaman, and already had two other true centers on the roster in Camby and Jordan and had a hole at PF so a Kaman/Smith deal seemed to make some sense. Now that they have drafted Griffin, I don't know why they would want to get another PF on the roster. I personally don't see any great impact on W/L from Kaman's play so I am unconvinced that a Horf/Smith frontcourt isn't better than a Kaman/Horford frontcourt (except against the strongest Cs).

The fan base loves Smoove though, so the ASG would have to have some big balls to trade him.

He's easily the most popular Hawk player. And it's been said in recent days that ATL fans would rather watch an exciting player, than a good team. The team has to be GREAT for people to come out and watch ( although when we were great earlier in the year, they still didn';t come out and watch ).

So trading Josh Smith may even kill them more at the box office, even if that move made us a better team.

So whats your point ? How about digging a little deeper then just that ?

Try this:

Kaman has 10 double doubles in his last 17 games.

Smoove has 1 double double in his last 18 games

Smoove only has 7 double doubles all season long !

Now your just making that up.

That trade is impossible under the CBA.

1. My point is you didn't propose this trade during the first month when everyone was on Smith's sack, but now that he's struggling somewhat, trade him now. Fickle. Horford didn't exactly light up Anthony... Beasley is a tough matchup with anyone and is evenly matched with Smith.

2. You are right, meant to include Claxton's "insurance covered year" that would have almost matched dollar for dollar with Kaman and Baron. Again the Clips tried to trade them both for Kidd but Dallas bulked so I'm guessing they wouldn't have any qualms trading us those two for Bibby and Claxton back in Feb. 2009.

Edited by Kimsey

Its possible simply because Mike Dunleavy is the GM . Josh for kaman changes the entire dynamic of that team.

Camby/Jordan(who is the future center there anyway )

Griffin

Josh/Butler

Gordon/Davis

Baron/Telfair

You now have two shotblockers in the lineup and it becomes get the board ,block or deflection get the ball to Baron and run the floor. I know we dont want Josh at the three but I think with a point guard like Baron the Clipps would .

• Premium Member

I don't know who said Kaman is a putrid defender but that was worth a laugh. He absolutely holds his own against true centers and does well on his own against them in terms of offense and rebounds. Horford will always struggle against larger centers because he flat out is a PF forced to play C. This will keep hurting us in the playoffs because we will keep running into those guys.

If we could get a legit good young center for Marvin or Smoove I would do in a heartbeat. I also don't think marvin's role on our team is hard to fill in the least. Caron Butler plays better defense, is a much better scorer and shooter and he can rebound. He's just one guy that might be available.

The fan base loves Smoove though, so the ASG would have to have some big balls to trade him.

He's easily the most popular Hawk player. And it's been said in recent days that ATL fans would rather watch an exciting player, than a good team. The team has to be GREAT for people to come out and watch ( although when we were great earlier in the year, they still didn';t come out and watch ).

So trading Josh Smith may even kill them more at the box office, even if that move made us a better team.

He is the CURRENT fan base's favorite player.

Winning playoff series is what really brings more fans and a true center is needed to win a playoff series vs. the Perkins, Duncan, Gasol, Bynum, Shaq, Big Z, D. Howard, etc.

I guarantee guys like Smoove are what turns many people off too the NBA. Letting him go may attract more fans then we lose. If we start winning playoff series the fan base will grow and I don't think we can get out of the 2nd round as presently constructed.

1. My point is you didn't propose this trade during the first month when everyone was on Smith's sack, but now that he's struggling somewhat, trade him now. Fickle. Horford didn't exactly light up Anthony... Beasley is a tough matchup with anyone and is evenly matched with Smith.

Smoove did GREAT for about 40 days. Now he is the same old Smoove getting a putrid 6.6 rpg over his last 18 games and hoisting jumpers (bricks) left and right. His technical fouls also seem to up be due his immature whining.

Sure KG, Wade, Kobe and Lebron whine too. BUT SMOOVE AIN"T ONE OF THE 5 OR 6 BEST PLAYERS OF THE DECADE SO HE CAN'T GET AWAY WITH IT LIKE THEY DO.

You call it fickle...............I call it seeing reality and holding people accountable.

This board would literally explode if Josh Smith were traded. Clips would be crazy t trade Kaman anyway, so all of this is probaly not worth discussing.

It's funny though. Only 2 weeks ago, Smith was steal or assist from the coveted 5 x 5, showing how versatile of a player he can be at times. 2 weeks later, he's on the Hawksquawk trading block . . lol.

I just wish the kid could play like a Shawn Marion - Shawn Kemp hybrid every game.

As for him taking more jumpers lately, I think it may be due to him not getting any calls when he drives to the hole. So he figures that he has to score somehow, so he jacks up a wide open jumper.

17 - 78 though . . . sheesh. That's close to 20% FG