• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bibby needs to come off the Bench

DjGrizz

I guarantee that we would be a better team if this happened. Sometimes I wonder what Woody is thinking. The second unit was obviously playing better tonight than the first unit and yet in the second half he went right back to his old ways. Bibby was absolutely terrible tonight in 26 minutes while Teague was playing great defense while initiating the offense. I know we won but is it too much to expect more when there is clearly a flaw?

Bibby could be a great spark off the bench and could still help us a great deal. Then Teague could get the minutes he needs so he has the experience come playoff time. This needs to happen now, but it won't and it's sad.

Edited by DjGrizz

..Nahh. I would rather have Teague come off the bench, but that would involve Woody giving him more than 6 mins a night. Teague would provide a spark right along with Craw...otherwise, you would have Bibs chucking, and that would kill any mo we may have had when the 2nd unit comes in..

• Like 1

..Nahh. I would rather have Teague come off the bench, but that would involve Woody giving him more than 6 mins a night. Teague would provide a spark right along with Craw...otherwise, you would have Bibs chucking, and that would kill any mo we may have had when the 2nd unit comes in..

The problem with that is when Teague is in the game with Crawford, Jamal hogs the ball and usually brings the ball up. Plus Teague's defense along with the rest of the first unit is above average and really could cause a lot of turnovers. Besides, who says Bibby needs to start to make treys? That's a myth, if he still got 20 minutes a game, he would have no difficulties with his shot.

The problem with that is when Teague is in the game with Crawford, Jamal hogs the ball and usually brings the ball up. Plus Teague's defense along with the rest of the first unit is above average and really could cause a lot of turnovers. Besides, who says Bibby needs to start to make treys? That's a myth, if he still got 20 minutes a game, he would have no difficulties with his shot.

..If Bibs comes off the bench, you would have the same problem with Craw hogging the ball. Now, we would get almost no offense from Bibs...Teague doesn't score that much now anyway, so it really wouldn't matter, but we need Bibs 12,13 points every night...unless Teague gets a consistent jumper, I would be weary of starting him....plus, how would Bibby react to riding the bench?

• Like 1

..If Bibs comes off the bench, you would have the same problem with Craw hogging the ball. Now, we would get almost no offense from Bibs...Teague doesn't score that much now anyway, so it really wouldn't matter, but we need Bibs 12,13 points every night...unless Teague gets a consistent jumper, I would be weary of starting him....plus, how would Bibby react to riding the bench?

Bibby has been very open thus far to Teague getting minutes. After all, he's the one that calls Teague back in the gym to help him work on his shot. Bibby has also expressed wanting to be a coach someday which is indicative of him wanting to help develop young players. Bibby knows he is not the same man that was a force with Sac and I think he is okay with that.

Craw would be more willing to pass to Bibby because he is a veteran and it would help keep Craw in check. When he's on the floor with Teague, Craw has no feeling of accountability because he just a 'rookie.' Teague's jumper will develop when he starts to get consistent minutes. It will not develop in practice and while he's riding the bench. Besides, Teague's ability to penetrate with the ball negates the necessity of a jumper. He breaks down defenses, something Bibby cannot do.

Edited by DjGrizz

Let's face it - it was an odd-ball game. Neither team came to play (Wiz were 6 for 30 early and we we're much better for awhile). When we got up 9-4 I figured it was over. That's no reason to start a rookie over a proven PG. If anything we need another PG. I don't count Mario as a PG...lotsa effort but lacks a lot of NBA level skills.

The ability to knock down perimeter shots is VERY important for a PG. I wish Bibby was faster/quicker, but he isn't. Still he is by far our best true PG at this point.

I see no problem with Bibby starting similar to Royal Ivey. He starts the game off getting our guys into their sets, setting up the tempo, hitting a couple shots here and there and finding the open man. It's later in games where if he wasn't productive that I think he should sit some but I haven't really seen anything to warrant benching him.

Crawford wasnt hogging the ball he was performing his role and was actually doing quite well. When Joe leaves the game its Crawfords job to take over the scoring role thats what the team has asked him to do . Teague was matched up with Boykins in the first half I doubt Woody wanted to match Teague up with Foye who is more sg than pg and has decent size to boot.

Teague played well and with good energy and performed well in the role he was given which was exploit the Boykins matchup to suggest that because of that he should start is foolish . If anything with the starters having another low energy poor start at home Woody shouldve let them sit and let the bench play out the first half . If you do that enough times the starters will get the message that they better come out with better energy because I will go with the bench the entire half if dont especially if the bench continued to play as well as it did tonight.

Uh. Jeff Teague only play 10mpg right now ; he just can't come in and be a productive starter right away. Woodson doesn't trust him (or any other rookie pg) enough to run the show. This starting unit is fine. Bibby is a great 3 pt shooter that compliments iso Joe pretty well and he often bails out the offense with the threes. Until Jeff Teague can shoot 3 pointers as well as Bibby, he's going to ride the bench. However, I like him to have more minutes in order to develop his play making abilities because his play is a little erratic right now.

Edited by DeerPark

Bibby is playing 28 minutes per game and isn't even averaging double figures. tonight he only scored 2 pts in 26 minutes. Other than scoring Bibby brings nothing to the game and he hasn't been scoring much.

I am not saying Teague should start but there is no excuse for his lack of minutes.

The only thing Teague should start getting is more flippin minutes. I swear, we are going to do the "PG of the future" dance with a new rookie every single year until Woodson learns to commit to playing some of these rookies more than token minutes. I know Teague's play is erratic or less-than-stellar mostly, but that is due, in large part, to so few minutes he sees in actual game situations.

Edited by TheTruth

Bibby is playing 28 minutes per game and isn't even averaging double figures. tonight he only scored 2 pts in 26 minutes. Other than scoring Bibby brings nothing to the game and he hasn't been scoring much.

I am not saying Teague should start but there is no excuse for his lack of minutes.

Bibby brings nothing else to the game?? wow I wish Bibby went down so we can see how important he is to this team. We didnt get good until he got here..he makes everyone better. He has the best chemistry with both Josh and Horford and when he's on he's on. He just doesnt look for his shot enough but thats ok because we have other players that can score the ball. Numbers dont lie but they arent everything..Bibby is also our leader..he brings alot to the game for the Hawks and is our best PG

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Bibby brings nothing else to the game?? wow I wish Bibby went down so we can see how important he is to this team. We didnt get good until he got here..he makes everyone better. He has the best chemistry with both Josh and Horford and when he's on he's on. He just doesnt look for his shot enough but thats ok because we have other players that can score the ball. Numbers dont lie but they arent everything..Bibby is also our leader..he brings alot to the game for the Hawks and is our best PG

QFT

Good God I can't imagine a team intentionally putting Bibby and Crawford together as the 2nd string backcourt, not unless Steve Belkin were setting the lineup.

And although Bibby has struggled scoring and offers little defensively his presence on the court and his vision and the simple threat of him shooting the 3 are big for our offense.

Good God I can't imagine a team intentionally putting Bibby and Crawford together as the 2nd string backcourt, not unless Steve Belkin were setting the lineup.

And although Bibby has struggled scoring and offers little defensively his presence on the court and his vision and the simple threat of him shooting the 3 are big for our offense.

Thanks for comparing me to Steve Belkin.....classy.

Thanks for comparing me to Steve Belkin.....classy.

LOL sorry man I'm not comparing you to Steve Belkin, I'm just saying that I can't imagine a Hawks fan would honestly want to put Bibby and Crawford together on the court at the same time as our backup guards. We'd be absolutely pitiful defensively like that as you have to pair one of them with a strong defensive guard.

LOL sorry man I'm not comparing you to Steve Belkin, I'm just saying that I can't imagine a Hawks fan would honestly want to put Bibby and Crawford together on the court at the same time as our backup guards. We'd be absolutely pitiful defensively like that as you have to pair one of them with a strong defensive guard.

No problem man, I just was like 'WOH....did he just really call me Steve Belkin?'

lol

So does Bibby get credit for Smith not shooting 3s this year? How about Horfords improved scoring? Does he get credit for Marvin becoming a 3 pt shooter?A lot of the Hawks improvement is the natural progression of a team with a lot of young players. In his first year the Hawks took Boston to 7 games in spite of the fact that Bibby was garbage that series.

Bibby doesnt create off the dribble. He can't guard opposiing pgs for crap. He doesn't rebound. He is averaging 9/4 in 28 minutes shooting 42%. That is not impressive.

• Moderators

As much as I want to see Teague developed (and I certainly do), I cannot remotely endorse putting him in as our starter. Give him a consistent role and do everything you can to grow his confidence and comfort on the floor, but Bibby needs to be the starter for this year, IMO.