• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our chance to get Big Z.....

Diesel

Diesel,

Two questions - 1) Do you think Big Z will really NOT go back to Cleveland (the whole trade sounded kind of like a setup to me!) and 2) if he doesn't what are the chances he signs with the Hawks? Personally (and, I don't know anything about Big Z other than he is BIG), I hope the Hawks sign him!

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Z going back to the Cavs. He would be a fool not to

Interesting... ordinarily we talk about athletes being fools for not choosing the highest financial reward they can get...

Here's a situation where a player is a fool for choosing the possibility... and it is, still, just that... of a ring over netting a million or two or three(?) more than he otherwise would (depending on what's offered, of course) in addition to what is perceived to be a lesser possibility of a ring, but a possibility nonetheless.

Regardless of what you think Z will actually do, again, it's just interesting what we perceive as fans to be the "right thing to do" in this situation.

Edited by sturt

Interesting... ordinarily we talk about athletes being fools for not choosing the highest financial reward they can get...

Here's a situation where a player is a fool for choosing the possibility... and it is, still, just that... of a ring over netting a million or two or three(?) more than he otherwise would (depending on what's offered, of course) in addition to what is perceived to be a lesser possibility of a ring, but a possibility nonetheless.

Regardless of what you think Z will actually do, again, it's just interesting what we perceive as fans to be the "right thing to do" in this situation.

Big Z's situation is different then 99% of the other NBA players:

1. He is 35 and is at the tail end of his career. We see players take less money for a chance at a ring all the time who are on the last legs of their career.

2. He is a life-long Cav..........it is almost unheard of too see players spend their entire career with only 1 team.

3. It would make him sick to see the Cavs finally get that championship with him out of the picture.

4. He is a family man who lives with his first wife and his children, who have adapted to life in Cleveland. If he moves the wife and kids may stay in Cleveland.

All that being said I do hope that he becomes a Hawk.

We probably have a better shot at signing Big Z, or maybe even Shaq, this off season. They will both be FA's. Maybe Shaq will play for the MLE ? It all comes down to how well fair in the playoffs and if we can retain JJ.

Edited by coachx

If Im Big Z. im going for the ring. Ive been with the Cavs my whole career through all the losing. Now they have a great chance to win a championship and you going to throw it all away to play for the Hawks. Nah i dont think so. I hope he comes and plays for us but like i said earlier, he would be super stupid to not go back to cleveland.

Big Z's situation is different then 99% of the other NBA players:

1. He is 35 and is at the tail end of his career. We see players take less money for a chance at a ring all the time who are on the last legs of their career.

2. He is a life-long Cav..........it is almost unheard of too see players spend their entire career with only 1 team.

3. It would make him sick to see the Cavs finally get that championship with him out of the picture.

4. He is a family man who lives with his first wife and his children, who have adapted to life in Cleveland. If he moves the wife and kids may stay in Cleveland.

All that being said I do hope that he becomes a Hawk.

We probably have a better shot at signing Big Z, or maybe even Shaq, this off season. They will both be FA's. Maybe Shaq will play for the MLE ? It all comes down to how well fair in the playoffs and if we can retain JJ.

I completely agree!

However, we have nothing to lose and we should employ Joe Smith to go after Z... and see what happens...

• Moderators

I completely agree!

However, we have nothing to lose and we should employ Joe Smith to go after Z... and see what happens...

That is my feeling. If he wants more than token minutes or a few million extra, the Hawks are right there telling him how they would never send him away in a trade.

• Premium Member

It's total BS that he can just go back to the Cavs especially since it was a pre-arranged deal

That's the important part here. EVERYONE knows it was a pre-arranged deal, but no one will acknowledge it or admit it outright. I'm not even sure the media has said a peep about it yet.

may be linked to how Joe Smith feels about the team.

I would think that Joe Smith would be the guy who Big Z asks about coaching, teammates, etc.

and Zaza says he knows him personally. I think he will consider the Hawks more than most people think. Cleveland is probably his first choice but if playing time is a factor, he wont get much there. The teams interested in him are Cavs, Hawks, Nuggets, Mavs, and Utah. I think Hawks and Utah would have the most playing time for him and all these teams are contenders except for maybe the Jazz.

Hawks would probably face the Cavs in the playoffs..image him playing against his old team in the conference finals lol

That's the important part here. EVERYONE knows it was a pre-arranged deal, but no one will acknowledge it or admit it outright. I'm not even sure the media has said a peep about it yet.

Let's go one step further... NBA wants Finals showdown between Kobe and LBJ and they need it badly!

They just keep unveiling Holywood scripts year after year (depending on best available scenarios)! Few years ago renewed rivalry between Celts and Lakers (Gasol trade) was hip! That's why "some teams" can easily get away with certain tricks...

All I can say is, the heck with it!

I just hope that refs call fair games during Playoffs! That's all I'm askin' for.

We wouldn't like any gifts anyway!

Hawks just want a fair shot...

Let's go one step further... NBA wants Finals showdown between Kobe and LBJ and they need it badly!

They just keep unveiling Holywood scripts year after year (depending on best available scenarios)! Few years ago renewed rivalry between Celts and Lakers (Gasol trade) was hip! That's why "some teams" can easily get away with certain tricks...

I just hope that refs call fair games during Playoffs! That's all I'm askin' for.

I do not believe the NBA needs or thinks a Kobe vs LBJ badly. Nike surely wants Cavs vs Lakers but the league does not NEED it.

Against the Magic..............Yes

Against the Cavs with Shaq / Lebron...............No Chance

• Moderators

The Hawks and other teams making 'pitches' to Z is just stupid. These teams should come out and say: we aren't making an offer because we no there is no way in hell he's going anywher but cleveland. Force the league to at least address the issue. Making an offer adds to the smoke screen.

• Moderators

The Hawks and other teams making 'pitches' to Z is just stupid. These teams should come out and say: we aren't making an offer because we no there is no way in hell he's going anywher but cleveland. Force the league to at least address the issue. Making an offer adds to the smoke screen.

If teams don't make offers what will the reaction be? Unless they accuse the Cavs of collusion, the NBA will shrug its shoulders and say "nobody even made the guy an offer and you are surprised he returned to the only team that wanted him?"

This needs to be addressed in the next collective bargaining session and the Hawks should take their best shot.

They keep this up and David Stern might as well step down for Vince McMahon.

• Premium Member

Diesel,

Two questions - 1) Do you think Big Z will really NOT go back to Cleveland (the whole trade sounded kind of like a setup to me!) and 2) if he doesn't what are the chances he signs with the Hawks? Personally (and, I don't know anything about Big Z other than he is BIG), I hope the Hawks sign him!

Thanks!

I think the more pertinent question is can he go back to the Cavs. This has premeditated written all over it, especially with the fact that regardless of which team he went to Washington or Phoenix, he was going to ask for a Buyout. That being the case, the league may put a halt to him going to Cleveland.

• Premium Member

I do not believe the NBA needs or thinks a Kobe vs LBJ badly. Nike surely wants Cavs vs Lakers but the league does not NEED it.

Stern is about the pop.

It's bigger than Kobe vs. Lebron.

It's Kobe vs. Lebron and Shaq.

There's still a lot of heat between Shaq/Kobe.

Nike has gone all in on Kobe/Lebron.

The question is will Stern sabotage Howard or Boston or Joe or Denver?

• Moderators

I think the more pertinent question is can he go back to the Cavs. This has premeditated written all over it, especially with the fact that regardless of which team he went to Washington or Phoenix, he was going to ask for a Buyout. That being the case, the league may put a halt to him going to Cleveland.

I don't think there is any way the NBA stops Z from moving to Cleveland unless some other team comes up with some hard evidence. Of course, this has setup written all over it since Z spent one day in Washington getting his physical and flew back to Cleveland before his buyout was complete and then comes up with a buyout number that is identical to what Cleveland can pay him. I don't think that kind of circumstantial evidence is going to be enough, however, to block Z's return to Cleveland this season.

Z will be the poster-child for why this rule needs to change, though.