• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woody: I think the fact that I am trying to–I don’t want to use the word ‘hiding’ guys

HawkItus

• Moderators

Bibby shouldn't be getting 27 minutes a game. He has a PER of 12.4 (Teague's Per is 11).

That small difference is highlighted by the fact that everyone agrees PER does not capture defensive production or defensive deficiency. I have no idea why Teague hasn't been getting limited but consistent minutes all season. I have been preaching since day 1 that Bibby is too much of a risk to rely on because of the risk of him being injured or his production slipping. Bibby should have been starting all year, but Teague should have had a consistent role in the rotation.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

That small difference is highlighted by the fact that everyone agrees PER does not capture defensive production or defensive deficiency. I have no idea why Teague hasn't been getting limited but consistent minutes all season. I have been preaching since day 1 that Bibby is too much of a risk to rely on because of the risk of him being injured or his production slipping. Bibby should have been starting all year, but Teague should have had a consistent role in the rotation.

Teague is shooting 55% in March. Yet he has one DNP and only plays 9 mpg with our second string. I mean, why not throw him out there a couple of games? Give him 20 minutes with the first string and see what he can do? I mean good God, Bibby has had some epically HORRIBLE games the last couple of months (he has had 12 sub 30% shooting games since January), I mean it is literally impossible that Teague could have played worse. I think just about any coach in the NBA would have done it by now. Bibby shot 34% in February (worse than Teague), and we still played him 30 mpg. Bibby has 2(!!!!) games where he has scored 20 points in the entire season. I mean damn... it's not like we aren't dropping games against New York and Detroit without Teague, so why not see what he does in an increased role? We really have freaking nothing to lose and a lot to gain by doing it.

• Premium Member

Jeff Teague has only played 20+ minutes 7 times this year. (once since the beginning of January).

His stats in those 7 games are:

21.8 mpg, 8.7 ppg, 4.7 apg, 1.4 spg, 47% FG

At least give him a freaking chance is all I'm saying. We haven't given him a single legit chance at running the first unit ALL YEAR.

• Moderators

We haven't given him a single legit chance at running the first unit ALL YEAR.

This surprises me a bit. Not that I am not fully aware it has happened but I struggle to understand why Woody would not give him a few minutes with our actual starters.

This surprises me a bit. Not that I am not fully aware it has happened but I struggle to understand why Woody would not give him a few minutes with our actual starters.

Exactly.. 82games.com keeps the top 20 (where the 20th unit has played about 20 minutes *total* this season) 5-man units, and Teague never appears with JoJo or Horford even once, much less with the starting unit.

FREE TEAGUE!

If you understood woody's reasoning i would probably advise you to get a checkup from the neck up.

How are you guys not getting this. In College Teague was terrible playing without the ball in his hands. In the Pros TEague has been terrible playing without the ball in his Hands. Woodson is trying to play Teague in situations where he can have the ball in his hands which is when playing with Backups. The problem is that even playing with the ball in his hands against backups Teague has still been pretty bad which really limits how he can be used.

If Teague had shown any ability at all this season to knock down open shots then I think he would get more minutes with the starters.

So I'll ask this- how many of you clamoring for Teague to play recognized Acie's rookie year that he wasn't capable of helping a playoff team? Its to Woodsons credit that he did reconize that in Acie long before the fans did.

Edited by spotatl

How are you guys not getting this. In College Teague was terrible playing without the ball in his hands. In the Pros TEague has been terrible playing without the ball in his Hands. Woodson is trying to play Teague in situations where he can have the ball in his hands which is when playing with Backups. The problem is that even playing with the ball in his hands against backups Teague has still been pretty bad which really limits how he can be used.

If Teague had shown any ability at all this season to knock down open shots then I think he would get more minutes with the starters.

So I'll ask this- how many of you clamoring for Teague to play recognized Acie's rookie year that he wasn't capable of helping a playoff team? Its to Woodsons credit that he did reconize that in Acie long before the fans did.

In Laws rookie year it was a fluke that the Hawks even made the playoffs. They only won 37 games. not to mention that the guys ahead of him (after his injury) were career backups.

This year the hawks could win 50 games. I am not seeing the connection.

The guys ahead of him were career backups and Acie still isn't better than any of them. Woodson recognized it. Woodson has shown good judgement on young players. When he doesn't think they can help a team and people here b*tch about him not giving young guys a chance- even after those young guys move on it turns out that Woodson was right.

Edited by spotatl

The guys ahead of him were career backups and Acie still isn't better than any of them. Woodson recognized it. Woodson has shown good judgement on young players. When he doesn't think they can help a team and people here b*tch about him not giving young guys a chance- even after those young guys move on it turns out that Woodson was right.

What happened to your "playoff team" argument lol?

The problem right now is that Bibby is playing like one of the young scrubs you are talking about. I bet you didn't even complain when Bibby threw a pass to the crowd last game when he wasn't even being guarded. He finished with a big 1/1 statline.

Bibby is the one holding the team back. He has been garbage since Dec 1 and shows no signs of coming out of his funk.

Huh? If the Hawks were a lottery team then by all means give Teague 40 minutes a night.

That sure wasn't your reasoning with Acie. you make a big deal about Acie not being able to help a playoff team but he didn't come into a team that was a playoff team. He was drafted by a team that sucked.

In fact he was the starter to open the season and only lost his job due to injury. Where was Woodson's crystal ball when Acie started his first few games before his injury?

Bibby doesn't just kill the Hawks in the half court on defense. He also kills their transition defense. The Hawks transition defense is the worst in the league because the opponents pg can get anywhere he wants on the floor with being impeded at all.

You can't seem to accept that Bibby has been a garbage can this season.

Edited by exodus

During the season the Hawks were trying to be a playoff team. Woodson recognized that for a team that considers itself a playoff team Acie wouldn't be able to help so he didn't play much to the whining and bitching of people here. Of course it turned out Woodson was right. If the Hawks were in the lottery I have no doubt that Acie would have played more.

Now Woodson has determined that TEague is not ready to help a playoff team despite the whining and bitchiing of people here. Time will tell on whether woodson is right. But when you look back his trackrecord he has been a good judge of young talent.

Just because I think that BIbby is more useful to this team than Teague doesn't mean that I think Bibby has played well. I agree that Bibby has played like garbage- I still think he is better for this team than Teague. Remember that Bibby is the only legitimate NBA starting PG that Woodson has had on the roster since he has been here.

Edited by spotatl

During the season the Hawks were trying to be a playoff team. Woodson recognized that for a team that considers itself a playoff team Acie wouldn't be able to help so he didn't play much to the whining and bitching of people here. Of course it turned out Woodson was right. If the Hawks were in the lottery I have no doubt that Acie would have played more.

Now Woodson has determined that TEague is not ready to help a playoff team despite the whining and bitchiing of people here. Time will tell on whether woodson is right. But when you look back his trackrecord he has been a good judge of young talent.

Just because I think that BIbby is more useful to this team than Teague doesn't mean that I think Bibby has played well. I agree that Bibby has played like garbage- I still think he is better for this team than Teague.

LOL what a bunch of BS. Acie began the season as the starter. The ONLY reason he lost his job his because he got hurt. Even when he came back he wasn't 100% and then he got hurt again. The injuries clearly affected his play and his confidence. His lack of time after he got hurt had nothing to do with any special insight by Woody. If Acie had stayed healthy he would have stayed the starter.

In his second season both Bibby and Flip had big years. There was no way to justify giving Acie anything more than spot minutes.

This parallel you are trying to draw between Acie and Teague is completely bogus.

Acie's lack of talent clearly affected his play and his confidence. In 2 seasons and 3 teams since his rookie year he still can't get off the bench because teams know he simply isn't good enough. Its not injuries, its not a lack of support from his coaches, its a lack of a viable skillset to succeed in the NBA. And Jeff Teague simply hasn't shown the skillset necessary to help a playoff team to me. Its Acie Law all over again. And I'm higher on Teague than I ever was on Acie- but Teague just isn't capable at this point. He needs an offseeason to work on being a funcional NBA player without the ball. And I do like Teague's future still.

Edited by spotatl

Acie's lack of talent clearly affected his play and his confidence. In 2 seasons and 3 teams since his rookie year he still can't get off the bench because teams know he simply isn't good enough. Its not injuries, its not a lack of support from his coaches, its a lack of a viable skillset to succeed in the NBA. And Jeff Teague simply hasn't shown the skillset necessary to help a playoff team to me. Its Acie Law all over again. And I'm higher on Teague than I ever was on Acie- but Teague just isn't capable at this point. He needs an offseeason to work on being a funcional NBA player without the ball. And I do like Teague's future still.

Again with the bogus comparison. If it wasn't for getting hurt Acie would have started every game his rookie year. Acie didn't get benched by Woody for poor play. He didn't get benched because Woody thought he couldn't help a playoff team. He got benched because he got hurt. And after getting hurt he struggled to get healthy and then got hurt again.

Acie's benching had nothing to do with any insight by Woodson. That is just revisionist history.

Umm Acie was the starter for the first few games of his rookie year as I remember? Then he got hurt and lost it.

oops didn't see Ex's post. Problem is, even if you allow the very shaky comparison. Teague is a better fit for what this team lack in terms of a starter than Acie did his rookie year. Remember, we had a Rookie starter in Al. So we needed lose veteran leadership and scoring ability. As well as Anthony Johnson.

Edited by sultanofatl

• Premium Member

The difference between Teague and Bibby is that Teague needs an off-season to improve his game, whilst Bibby needs the offseason to check out beach front property in Malibu and retire... Too bad we signed him to two more years, because if it had been a 1 year deal we would have traded him at the deadline and he would have been out of the NBA by next year.

There is one little problem with what you typed there. When Woody actually does let Teague play, it seems to me as if Jamal Crawford is the primary ball handler and Teague is pretty much playing the OG position. That's not exactly playing to Teague's strengths. Woodson is doing a terrible job with developing Teague. Rondo can't shoot that well either, but he's a heck of a PG. If Woodson was coaching Rondo, he'd probably have him playing as on OG while limiting him to a few minutes a game. Rondo's confidence would have been crushed a long time ago.