• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks would win it all if they had this guy

NineOhTheRino

True a top-tier player he is not but I would stack him up to Odom as far as the effect he can have on a team getting to that next step. What team couldn't use a good rebounder , defender, 3PT shooter, and a baseline assassin when making a run? JC would seriously naturalize a Pietrus in a Magic series or a Jamison in a Cleveland series.

The problem is that Childress is not a good rebounder (defensively), defender or three point shooter. Comparing him to Odom is ridiculous. Odom is a very strong defensive rebounder who can create on offense for himself and for others. Childress can do none of that.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The problem is that Childress is not a good rebounder (defensively), defender or three point shooter. Comparing him to Odom is ridiculous. Odom is a very strong defensive rebounder who can create on offense for himself and for others. Childress can do none of that.

JC's offense was mostly putbacks and transition scoring. OK... he's not a 1-on-1 guy but he had a way getting those utility points that most players can't get or don't care about getting. I have disagree with you on his 3PT shooting. Chill was money with corner 3 in transition. He was great at no 1 thing but he was good at several. Just an all around good player imo.

And I did not say he was as good as Odom, I said he could effect the game like Odom. And I don't see that as a stretch since Odom is only putting up about 10 ppg of late.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

JC's offense was mostly putbacks and transition scoring. OK... he's not a 1-on-1 guy but he had a way getting those utility points that most players can't get or don't care about getting. I have disagree with you on his 3PT shooting. Chill was money with corner 3 in transition. He was great at no 1 thing but he was good at several. Just an all around good player imo.

And I did not say he was as good as Odom, I said he could effect the game like Odom. And I don't see that as a stretch since Odom is only putting up about 10 ppg of late.

In 285 games Childress made 95 threes. You do the math.

Odom is averaging 10 rebounds per game and 3.3 assists. Both numbers punk Childress.

• Premium Member

If we are are to obtain the difference-making big man we covet, he's not coming via the draft, and he 's not coming via free agency. That leaves the trade route. And Chilz represents our greatest upside, least downside trading chip. Granted, he would not bring much in return, but assuming the chess pieces remain intact, the most glaring need seems to be someone who can neutralize DHow to a higher degree than we've been able to mount with the current roster.

Edited by sturt

• Premium Member

^^^Childress won't leave Oly's money on the table for a S&T. Remember he has to decide by 7/15.

It'll be interesting to see what Ronnie Brewer gets this summer. He's probably the most similar comparison.

I dunno... he seemed awfully disappointed that he didn't become a Milwaukee Buck last off-season based on what I read. I thought it was widely-accepted that all that kept that from happening was that Sund demanded too much where the Bucks were concerned. Maybe these highlight reels can help ratchet up some enthusiasm from some other teams' fans, at least.

• Premium Member

He could've signed an offer sheet, but didn't.

I"m only recalling his reaction.

You know as well as I how complicated it could have gotten to work it out--not only in terms of compensation, but in terms of timing and cap holds as well. I just don't think it was so simple that you can reduce it down to that.

Plus, the mere fact that he was openly meeting with teams last summer suggests he's likely to go out and market himself again this summer.

• Premium Member
You know as well as I how complicated it could have gotten to work it out--not only in terms of compensation, but in terms of timing and cap holds as well.

Which is why I don't think he'll opt out simply for a S&T. The Hawks will be in the same situation this summer, waiting for JJ to re-sign before they know what they have left under the luxury tax. (Unless Childress gets an offer from an under-the-cap team).