• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Good read about JJ

AHawks89

Reading this article about Joe Johnson makes me more confident than ever. I've never seen Joe Johnson talk so confident, so that must be a great thing.

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2010/04/15/joe-johnson-says-playoffs-need-to-be-his-time-to-shine/

Opinions? Reading these articles about how the Hawks are confident, and how excited Jamal Crawford is ready to play. Good things to hear.

• Premium Member

The playoffs will dictate whether Joe Johnson is worth the Max or not. It doesn't even matter IMHO if we get out of the second round, as long as we are competitive and Joe shows that he can be the type of guy that can carry us when we need it. Last year JJ was AWFUL in the playoffs, I don't care what anyone says. His per was in the 12-13 range which is horrible. If Joe can step up his game, or at least play some of his better basketball in the playoffs this year, then he will prove that he is worth keeping. We have a team with players in Josh and Horf who are improving. Teague is a player, no question about it, all he needs is experience and confidence and he will be one of the better guards in the league. If Joe shows that he can be the Joe of the regular season in the playoffs than it will be very clear to me that resigning him is must. If he falters in the playoffs once more than you really have to question signing a 29 year old second tier star who can't deliver in the playoffs to the max.

• Premium Member

why is it that when the AJC talks to Joe they have to talk with Crawford too?

Me thinks a certain struggling newspaper is trying to create a controversy.

Yeah, Joe had a few good games, but he did play awful and he knows that. I know he has a different approach coming into playoffs with something to prove. I'm betting Joe will be the Joe that we've all wanted in the play offs. Let's go Hawks! IMO, I think we have the team to go for a ring. Size? What's that? It's more about heart.

And Yeah, I agree about the AJC articles. They do that often, and it seems like they are always bashing Atlanta fans. :huh:

This is it for JJ if he wants that max contract he's going to carry us when times get rough in the playoffs. This is what we have been waiting on all year! we knew JJ would be good enough in the regular season. now we are about to find out if he can really hang with LBJ, Black Mamba, Melo, and so forth as being not a second tier star but a superstar that carry's his team making clutch shots and great defensive plays! I am hyped I hope JJ performs well. Then everybody thoughts about him will change about if he can be a elite player or not? Playoffs judge everything just about!!!

People say that JJ is the quiet superstar and people have no faith in the Atlanta Hawks, or does not consider us "elite". There is only one reason for that. Joe hasn't took over the playoffs like the super stars have, and the Hawks have not mad a run in the play offs. Everyone judges teams/players through out the play offs. It's time to rise up and soar toward that ring. :D

I just hope Joe doesn't try to do too much and doesn't force things. He must realize that he's got 4 other guys out there that can hit a wide open shot with the clock winding down.

I have seen Joe play where he does "force the issue" and that is NOT when he's at his best. If Joe's shot is off, I don't was to see him forcing up too many shots. He really wants

to prove he's one of the NBA greats in the playoffs and that can be a good or bad thing.

I just hope Joe doesn't try to do too much and doesn't force things. He must realize that he's got 4 other guys out there that can hit a wide open shot with the clock winding down.

I have seen Joe play where he does "force the issue" and that is NOT when he's at his best. If Joe's shot is off, I don't was to see him forcing up too many shots. He really wants

to prove he's one of the NBA greats in the playoffs and that can be a good or bad thing.

he will never prove he is an elite player because he is not .he is good when he doesnt try to take over the game . when he goes iso the whole team stops playing.the problem with the hawks offense is lack of ball movement & no easy shots. when we play uptempo we are great jow & bibby do not play utempo basketball

Everyone looked pretty damn good. Joe played his normal reg season game. Bibby came out firing shots (like I said he would be doing all season in playoffs). Jamal hit down some 3's.

Not a bad game overall. I'm ready to see Joe take it to the next level. I remember against Miami last year, Joe was hitting everything; especially that deeeep 3 over Wade. :D

I hope to see more of these games!

The playoffs will dictate whether Joe Johnson is worth the Max or not. It doesn't even matter IMHO if we get out of the second round, as long as we are competitive and Joe shows that he can be the type of guy that can carry us when we need it. Last year JJ was AWFUL in the playoffs, I don't care what anyone says. His per was in the 12-13 range which is horrible. If Joe can step up his game, or at least play some of his better basketball in the playoffs this year, then he will prove that he is worth keeping. We have a team with players in Josh and Horf who are improving. Teague is a player, no question about it, all he needs is experience and confidence and he will be one of the better guards in the league. If Joe shows that he can be the Joe of the regular season in the playoffs than it will be very clear to me that resigning him is must. If he falters in the playoffs once more than you really have to question signing a 29 year old second tier star who can't deliver in the playoffs to the max.

I think it just depends on what the team's goals are. If they just want to be competitive every year, then they might as well resign Joe. If they actually want to try and win a title, it's not happening with Joe Johnson. It probably won't happen without him either, but stranger stuff has happened.

thefloydian, to say winning a title won't happen with JJ is debatable. One thing I am pretty certain of is that the Hawks certainly won't contend next year if JJ walks. There isn't a player that is realistically available that can bring what JJ has brought. The graphic they flashed before the playoff game yesterday was telling. The only players averaging at least 21pts 4rpg and 5assist are Lebron, Kobe, Wade, and JJ. He has put up elite max contract worthy numbers but some think he is unworthy of the money.

If he matches his regular season production in the playoffa this year (which he did yesterday) there is no doubt he will receive max offers from several tea,s. Kobe has already agreed to an extension with the Lakers, so unless LBJ or Wade is coming to Atlanta, I don't see how you can let JJ walk and remain as competitive.

• Premium Member

Yes, I love how a guy who averages 20/5/5 and is one of the handful of players in the league is treated like a bum by some here. JJ has earned a max deal and he's going to get it either here or from someone else.

Joe is still NOT . nor will he ever be a max contract player. As a matter of fact. @ the moment the Hawks don't have any max players on their team.. Add to that he's pushing 30. I think I'll pass on giving him the max..

So you would rather see the team take two or three steps back by letting JJ walk then sign him to the contract one of our Eastern Conference foes is bound to give him? If that is not what you are saying, then my question is what player (that is realistically available) do you want to see the Hawks sign that will give you JJ's production and command the attention from opposing teams he does? How many of those said players is under 30? I'll hang up and listen.

This is ridiculous. To the people that want to pass on Joe, riddle me this: How do we expect to remain just as competitive next year if he walks?

If you say sign Wade or Lebron, I'm going to laugh. Give me a realistic replacement or what you actually have in mind as "GM."

I am dying to know this as well. I don't understand how ATL fans are fine with JJ walking scott-free when the onnly two upgrades over JJ in the NBA today are Kobe, who is sticking with the Lakers, and Dwyane Wade, who is actively campaigning for help IN Miami. Who will we get that would keep us from seeing a major drop off? Kobe said on fan night a couple weeks ago he would like to see JJ in Chicago with Rose. For ATL's sake I hope Kobe is wrong. There is no way this team is better off without JJ.

please read: I didn't mention passing on Joe, I said he's not worth a max contract. and he's not thanks :)

You aren't answering the question. As Sothron said, he will sign a max contract (or very close to it) whether it be here or somewhere else. So what do you suggest they do when CHI, NYK, NJN, etc. offer him that big contract? Let him walk? If that is the case, which it has to be since you are saying he shouldn't get the contract, who do you target? Who gives you tthat production and is under 30? Wade? If he isn't worth the max, who can you sign that isn't worth the max and will replace his production/presence? I would love to hear your answer for that question.

• Premium Member

You aren't answering the question. As Sothron said, he will sign a max contract (or very close to it) whether it be here or somewhere else. So what do you suggest they do when CHI, NYK, NJN, etc. offer him that big contract? Let him walk? If that is the case, which it has to be since you are saying he shouldn't get the contract, who do you target? Who gives you tthat production and is under 30? Wade? If he isn't worth the max, who can you sign that isn't worth the max and will replace his production/presence? I would love to hear your answer for that question.

Also bearing in mind these things called "salary cap rules" that prevent us from signing other team's free agents to contracts starting higher than ~$5.8M/yr.