West might be key to slowing Jennings

RedDawg#8

Why not give him a few extended mins off the bench if Jennings gets hot again. Let Joe stay on Salmons and give the Defensive responsibility to West. I dont fear his offensive limitations against the Bucks as much as I admire his intensity. We will need that spark of energy, esp. if/when Milwaukee gets it going behind Jennings again.

I hear what your saying but every time we decide to put Rio on the opposing teams top player it usually consists of west getting into foul trouble and sending the opposing player to the strip. Now I know west getting into foul trouble doesn't matter considering he is basically the last guy off the bench outside of collins, but why not just give the duty of guarding Jennings to Teague? Teague is quick enough to stay in front of him as well can make Jennings work on the defense end. Either way I don't think Jennings will have the type of game he had in game 1 the rest of the series, and even if he does we still can win the game. Only way the Bucks win any game in this series is if both Jennings and either Salmons or Stack are on fire. Can't wait till game 2 tomorrow. GO HAWKS!!

Good Topic. I actually thought of this during game 1. This is what you have ATL....................brandon jennings a speedy point guard who can beat you to the goal and on the perimeter with his elite speed AND this is what we have to try and slow down this speedy opponent a all out waterbug who seems like he NEVER loses energy and plays tight defense every second he gets people. Mr. West can possibly out play jennings as far as not losing energy. Mock my words if given the chance he is goin to be all over jennings the whole time and he's not going to lose as much energy as others would guarding jennings. hell jennings will lose more of his energy before west will. Mario's unreal energy keeps him rollin and competeing the whole time. Thats why we like him and he should be used!

GO HAWKS!!!

Edited by JTB

Maybe a combination of West and Teague guarding Jennings might help. Sometimes a player gets hot and it seems nobody can stop him and that is what is seemed like the other day. Hopefully, Jennings won't stay this hot and if he does hopefully the Hawks can find the right defensive combination that can at least slow him down!

• Premium Member

It it really worth it? Everything he (Rio) gives on defense he takes away on offense. Honestly the Hawks should care less about Jennings scoring. Just exploit the advantage down low on the offensive end and let Jennings tire himself out. Evan if he goes for 50 the Hawks should still win by double digits.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

Jennings can keep right on taking those shots he took in game one as far as I am concerned. He made a lot of tough shots and didn't get all the way to the rim hardly at all.

He also didn't get his team involved much either. I remember some people sitting behind me saying that it was ok if he scores 50 as long as the rest of his team only scores 20. I pretty much feel the same way. If he's the only guy scoring, we're fine. Of course it would be nice if the Hawks could make Jennings a non factor, but him going off won't win them the series if he's not distributing the ball.

Teague had no problem to keep up with Jennings in game 1. He just needs to put a hand in his face when Bucks' PG takes jump shot which he apparently didn't for unknown reason. It looked like Jeff was thinking that's it's not his duty to try to block the shot.

Edited by tremor