• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sekou Smith throwing darts at Joe and Woody

NineOhTheRino

• Moderators

Exodus's statement was "Woody's flawed iso offense and switching defense, which he refuses to change, caused the Hawks to lose games that they should have won."....all I'm saying is sometimes we loose because of other factors...too many turnovers, good looks but missed shots, transition defense....and bear in mind that I hate the constant switching defense for the full 24 second clock

No matter what the system, every team in NBA history was going to win some games and lose some games. What I don't see in exodus's statement, though, is that his systems caused the Hawks to lose all games they should have won. I think you and he are arguing semantics. He already stated that there are multiple reasons for losses but that he essentially views Woody's coaching as a drain on the team that they have to overcome rather than an asset. If true, that would naturally swing more games into the loss column.

For me personally, I don't think a shift in systems would have made a significant difference in the regular season win total. My fear was that the problems would come home to roost in the playoffs when teams see you 4-7 games in a row and capitalize on vulnerabilities in a way very different than how they do over an 82 game regular season. That sure looks like exactly what is happening.

No matter what the system, every team in NBA history was going to win some games and lose some games. What I don't see in exodus's statement, though, is that his systems caused the Hawks to lose all games they should have won. I think you and he are arguing semantics. He already stated that there are multiple reasons for losses but that he essentially views Woody's coaching as a drain on the team that they have to overcome rather than an asset. If true, that would naturally swing more games into the loss column.

For me personally, I don't think a shift in systems would have made a significant difference in the regular season win total. My fear was that the problems would come home to roost in the playoffs when teams see you 4-7 games in a row and capitalize on vulnerabilities in a way very different than how they do over an 82 game regular season. That sure looks like exactly what is happening.

I guess we are arguing semantics in terms of all and only and such....but in terms of playing in the reg. season vs playoffs...we have used this system when we played Boston and took them to 7 (unexpected) games and when we played Miami last year and won the first round. I agree that a shift in system would not neccessarily produce more wins or losses in the reg. season.

• Moderators

I guess we are arguing semantics in terms of all and only and such....but in terms of playing in the reg. season vs playoffs...we have used this system when we played Boston and took them to 7 (unexpected) games and when we played Miami last year and won the first round. I agree that a shift in system would not neccessarily produce more wins or losses in the reg. season.

I thought our close series against Miami and blowout performance against Cleveland was nothing positive. Miami was a one-man-show that actually is a great situation for indiscriminate use of our switching D. You don't have to really adjust there because the switching gives Wade problems and they have no other significant weapons. We somehow still managed to go 7 games but at least we won.

We now have a coach that is exploiting our system - not with great players but with enough team balance that refinement is needed and we just aren't seeing it.

The Boston series was an expected joy - embarrassing road losses completely overshadowed by energized play from our Hawks at home.

I don't believe in any system that expects to function without adjustments (let alone our system with which I have had issues).

• Like 1

The real problem isn't the switching D or the Offense. It's the same issue people had with BK. Stubbornness. BK's love of Swingmen wasn't in and out the issue. He drafted and brought in some good players. It was his defiance to drafting good players that didn't fit that mold. Same with Woody, this system won 53 games and 1 playoff series. It gave us two games in this series. But, he is being defiant by not admitting that Scott Skiles is exploiting the system. If he would just change it up for part of the game(like when Jennings is in) then he would be facing far less backlash.

• Premium Member

The real problem isn't the switching D or the Offense. It's the same issue people had with BK. Stubbornness. BK's love of Swingmen wasn't in and out the issue. He drafted and brought in some good players. It was his defiance to drafting good players that didn't fit that mold. Same with Woody, this system won 53 games and 1 playoff series. It gave us two games in this series. But, he is being defiant by not admitting that Scott Skiles is exploiting the system. If he would just change it up for part of the game(like when Jennings is in) then he would be facing far less backlash.

It's not the system he's exploiting it's the players. With Mike Bibby in the lineup it's pretty much a no-win situation for Woody.

• Moderators

It's not the system he's exploiting it's the players. With Mike Bibby in the lineup it's pretty much a no-win situation for Woody.

Clearly, the Hawks don't have the players to match up with that awesome Bucks squad and it is the players that are the problem.

Clearly, the Hawks don't have the players to match up with that awesome Bucks squad and it is the players that are the problem.

You forgot to put the sarcasm disclaimer at the bottom lol.

The Bucks are missing their best player and are still on the brink of winning 4 straight playoff games against the Hawks. In spite of this Woody has shown no signs of trying to change up the game plan. What a joke.

It actually is the system that Skiles is exploiting. It's not Mike Bibby that Brandon Jennings is blowing by. Jennings is blowing by Al Horford and Zaza Pachulia when they're trying to guard him out on the perimeter. They're waiting until they get a guard matched up on our Center and then they exploit that matchup. They've been doing it with great success since Game 3.

It actually is the system that Skiles is exploiting. It's not Mike Bibby that Brandon Jennings is blowing by. Jennings is blowing by Al Horford and Zaza Pachulia when they're trying to guard him out on the perimeter. They're waiting until they get a guard matched up on our Center and then they exploit that matchup. They've been doing it with great success since Game 3.

This series would be over and we would be in Orlando if Bogut was playing.