• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith can't afford to hang around the perimeter vs. Magic

hawks21

In the Milwaukee series, it appears Josh has been trying to shoot more long jumpers instead of using his 6'8 240 lb frame and battling for rebounds, and this can be problematic in a seven-game series against Dwight Howard.

Howard is great, but if Horford and Josh aren't bringing energy and battling for the rebounds, it makes things even more easier for Howard to get offensive rebounds or defensive rebounds, and set up easier opportunities for his teammates.

Josh needs to let Marvin, Bibby or Jamal handle the jumpers from outside 15 feet.

Well wtf is he supposed to do unless the offense calls for him to go down low? Why would he go down low and post if there is no plan to swing the ball to him?

So you are implying that the offense calls for him to play 15-20ft out??? You don't really believe that do you? He certainly isn't being coached to be that far out. He always seems to wander out there though. Smh

Edited by 99PROBL3MS

So you are implying that the offense calls for him to play 15-20ft out??? You don't really believe that do you? He certainly isn't being coached to be that far out. He always seems to wander out there though. Smh

If he is not set to post then why would he do it? If he isnt posting then what else is he gonna do? He cant just stand in the paint and be guarded by proximity.

You have to have something to do in the offense or you will end up standing around, period. Im implying that the offense doesnt call for him to do anything, so thats why he is wandering around.

Edited by the_sheff

I thought he learned in the season cause he didnt shoot no where near as much as he is in this playoffs it's scary i hope he stops shooting those long jumpers and turn back into the josh smith of the regular season who took the ball to the goal. we will have to see what happens, hopefully he stops.

turn back into the josh smith that matured over the regular season dammit!!!!

Edited by JTB

If he is not set to post then why would he do it? If he isnt posting then what else is he gonna do? He cant just stand in the paint and be guarded by proximity.

You have to have something to do in the offense or you will end up standing around, period. Im implying that the offense doesnt call for him to do anything, so thats why he is wandering around.

In Iso, it's important for the Power Forward and Center to move out so there is an open lane to drive. Then "1" of them is to crash the lane on the drive/pull up. If it's not there they kick the ball back out.

Often times in our offensive sets, JJ holds the ball too long and on the kick out, there isn't time left to do anthing except shoot from outside. I'd love to see a graphic of how many jumpers Josh shot during the year with 5 or less seconds on the clock.

In Iso, it's important for the Power Forward and Center to move out so there is an open lane to drive. Then "1" of them is to crash the lane on the drive/pull up. If it's not there they kick the ball back out.

Often times in our offensive sets, JJ holds the ball too long and on the kick out, there isn't time left to do anthing except shoot from outside. I'd love to see a graphic of how many jumpers Josh shot during the year with 5 or less seconds on the clock.

82games.com tracks shot clock usage

43% of Smoove's shots come within the first 10 seconds of the shot clock ( mostly transition baskets )

16% of his shots come in the last 3 seconds of the shot clock

• Premium Member

Well wtf is he supposed to do unless the offense calls for him to go down low? Why would he go down low and post if there is no plan to swing the ball to him?

Why?

It's called BB IQ. Josh exhibits a very low BBIQ at times. If you are a bad three point shooter and you do it anyway, then you're doing just what the other team wants you to do. In game 7, I heard the whole crowd say with one voice "NOOOOOOO!" when Josh shot his first three. Even though he hit it, I shook my head because i knew that he had the fuel he wanted to put up another one. I will grant you that Woody's offense is made for a PF like Rasheed Wallace or Okur... A big man who can step out and consistently hit that shot. However, BBIQ should tell Josh that he would be much more of a beast if he were to use his athletic ability to take his man off the dribble down low. Or if he were to post up. I believe that Illyasova just unnerved Smoove. This round, he has soft *ss Rashard Lewis. BBIQ should tell him that he's supposed to post up Lewis All day and twice on Friday... Bibby is supposed to throw the ball in to him too. Our offense against the Magic should be simple. Only Josh's softness will lead it to something complicated.

82games.com tracks shot clock usage

43% of Smoove's shots come within the first 10 seconds of the shot clock ( mostly transition baskets )

16% of his shots come in the last 3 seconds of the shot clock

Hmmm...so roughly 1 in 6.25 of his shots come in the last 3 seconds. he shoots a little less than 12 a game so about twice a game he's shooting with less than 3 seconds on the shot clock.

Shot clock usage

Secs. ____Att. ______eFG% Ast'd Blk'd Pts

0-10_____43%______.616 57% 5% 6.6

11-15____21% _____.478 68% 7% 2.5

16-20____20% _____.420 61% 8% 2.1

21+ _____16% _____.342 78% 6% 1.3

Crunch __36% _____.385 67% 7% 3.4

Josh shot 12.3 times a game this season. 36% of the time (4 times a game) he shot the ball with 8 seconds or less left on the shot clock.

Ok, I think this is very telling. A third of your power forward's possessions are with time running out in the shot clock. During those times he's shooting 38.5% from the field. The rest of the time he's shooting about 56.5%.

Translation, guards are holding the ball way too long in iso.

Edited by thecampster

Why?

However, BBIQ should tell Josh that he would be much more of a beast if he were to use his athletic ability to take his man off the dribble down low. Or if he were to post up. I believe that Illyasova just unnerved Smoove. This round, he has soft *ss Rashard Lewis. BBIQ should tell him that he's supposed to post up Lewis All day and twice on Friday... Bibby is supposed to throw the ball in to him too. Our offense against the Magic should be simple. Only Josh's softness will lead it to something complicated.

How crazy would it look for Smoove to be posting up and the ball never even swings that direction or he ends up just clogging the lane for another Iso Joe.

Posts dont just happen randomly, they have to be part of the offensive plan.

Hmmm...so roughly 1 in 6.25 of his shots come in the last 3 seconds. he shoots a little less than 12 a game so about twice a game he's shooting with less than 3 seconds on the shot clock.

Shot clock usage

Secs. ____Att. ______eFG% Ast'd Blk'd Pts

0-10_____43%______.616 57% 5% 6.6

11-15____21% _____.478 68% 7% 2.5

16-20____20% _____.420 61% 8% 2.1

21+ _____16% _____.342 78% 6% 1.3

Crunch __36% _____.385 67% 7% 3.4

Josh shot 12.3 times a game this season. 36% of the time (4 times a game) he shot the ball with 8 seconds or less left on the shot clock.

Ok, I think this is very telling. A third of your power forward's possessions are with time running out in the shot clock. During those times he's shooting 38.5% from the field. The rest of the time he's shooting about 56.5%.

Translation, guards are holding the ball way too long in iso.

It's not the guards fault Smoove can't shoot but choose to stand around the perimeter.