• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tyrone Corbin

Robdawg

So I was searching on google for some rumors about where the Hawks could go for their next head coach and my searching led me to this site. I'm not sure how good this guy is but it looks like the Hawks are showing some pretty solid interest in him. Any takes on it?

Jazz assistant Tyrone Corbin is expected to be considered as a potential replacement for Atlanta coach Mike Woodson, who will not be brought back next season. The Hawks announced Friday that Woodson would not be returning.

Corbin played for nine teams during his NBA career, but spent four seasons with the Hawks in the 1990s. The Hawks went 53-29 this season -- the same record as the Jazz -- and finished third in the Eastern Conference.

According to a Yahoo.com report, former Toronto coach Sam Mitchell, Portland assistant Monty Williams, Phoenix assistant Dan Majerle and Corbin are strong candidates for the job.

Dallas assistant Dwane Casey also is a favorite having worked for Atlanta general manager Rick Sund in Seattle. The Hawks are prepared to spend modestly for a coach, according to Yahoo, which could reduce interest among bigger names.

Corbin has coached on Jerry Sloan's staff for six seasons with the Jazz. His first preference is said to be remaining in Utah, but the Jazz have ruled out naming anybody as Sloan's designated successor.

Ross Siler

Linkage

Only thing I know about Tyrone was from his playing days here. He was a journeyman who was a tough nosed defensive player who eventually learned to shoot the 3. I have no idea how good of a coach he is but there isn't a better HC he could have coached under. The question is how much did he actually learn and how much can he influence a team. If I remember correctly he was extremely quiet.

Edited by Dsinner

• Premium Member
"Ty deserves to be a head coach," said Williams, the Jazz's All-Star point. "He's put in his dues. . . . He's ready."

"He's been ready for a long time," added Sloan, Corbin's boss the past half-dozen years. "He's a hard worker."

Corbin is under contract for one more season in Utah, but no one with the organization would get in the way of his getting a top job.

And if the Jazz were to lose Corbin this offseason, Sloan suggested, so be it.

Story continues below "I don't have a problem with that. Actually, it would be a blessing, because I think the world of Ty," the Jazz head coach said. "He's done a great job for us. Whatever happens, we would support him."

Utah paper

I am all for Ty. He sure won't tolerate anyone taking plays off, he never took plays off when he played. My only concern with him is how he would handle the Xs and Os, but I don't have any doubts that he wouldn't accept the effort we put out for the playoffs this year.

Tyrone Corbin is tough as nails and Sloan is one of the top coaches anyone could ever learn from. With the money the Hawks are prepared to spen it would be wise to try and get a guy who could turn into a great coach rather then a retread. Im sure Sund will talk to Sloan and his opinion of Ty will be highly valued.

• Premium Member

Corbin was the best team defensive player I've ever seen including Charles Oakley. That guy could write a book on help defense. He was a very good defensive small forward who played unselfishly and did everything he could to help a team win.

I think he'd be a good coach considering what he was a player and who he's been mentoring under since then. IMO Jerry Sloan is the best coach in basketball period and if Corbin is even remotely that good then he'd be a blessing here.

Sekou Smith said this on 790 the zone Tuesday. Here you can listen to the clip of Sekou Smith. He talks about Tyrone Corbin being the guy he likes. I like him too. I think this guy will bring order on this team.

http://www.790thezone.com/instantreplay/Episodes.aspx?PID=1345

Very nice talk about having drinks with Kobe too. :super:

He talks about Corbin with 1:30 left in this clip. He was setting down talking with Corbin about becoming the coach of the Hawks.

Edited by Brotha2ThaNite

• Admin

He has been working under one of the most consistent coaches in the NBA for six years....Jerry Sloan. I think he would be an excellent coach for us. Utah thinks enough of him that he is projected the replacement when Sloan retires. That says a lot. However, who knows when that will happen. I prefer him to Dwayne Casey.

Coaching under Sloan doen't make him Sloan. He is an unproven, a big risk. What kind of tactician is he? How well will he prepare his team to run mutiple sets with mutiple options?

Seems thoses were the knocks on Woody. Need to make sure we don't get more of the same. Got the athletes, need the brains.

• Moderators

Why are Armond Hill not a consideration. He is a former Hawk and a very good PG.

Hill's still saddled with his years at Columbia, which at this stage is unfair. But if he's credited with Rondo's acclaimed surge (specifically on offense), I believe he will get attention after their season's end. Beyond helping Rondo with free throws, the media hasn't done much to tie Hill's coaching to Rondo's improvements.

~lw3