• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our owners are not cheap.

Diesel

• Premium Member

When you really think about it, they are not cheap. Any owners who would pay Marvin and not have him hit by a mob hit to save money are not cheap. Seriously though, I think they're going to pony up between 100 and 119 Million for Joe and I think they will also pony up money for Chillz and a C (possibly Erica Dampiere). That's not really cheap. Not many teams can say that they have a 100 million dollar player on their squad.

Will they lose money with the Hawks? You betcha. Are they cheap. NO. They just don't have the cash to be as competitive as other owners. They want to win.

The question is what comes with winning?

Since the 1980, there have only been8 teams to ever win the championship. There are like 12 all time. How did that work out for them? How did the ownership fair?

Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Pistons, Heat, Rockets. Spurs and 76ers.

This is our model. We want to be mentioned with this group instead of the group that did good but couldn't win it.

• Like 3

When you really think about it, they are not cheap. Any owners who would pay Marvin and not have him hit by a mob hit to save money are not cheap. Seriously though, I think they're going to pony up between 100 and 119 Million for Joe and I think they will also pony up money for Chillz and a C (possibly Erica Dampiere). That's not really cheap. Not many teams can say that they have a 100 million dollar player on their squad.

Good perspective. That is what I'm hoping for out of them too.

If they do this that $3 mill for the 31st pick will be easily warranted.

• Premium Member

I think that we will see a lot of movement by us this summer. I believe Joe will probably demand a post presence. I think Horf's demand has been heard too.

There's a lot of big men on the move... we might just end up dealing for Jefferson. It's just too congested to tell what ASG has in mind.

• Premium Member

When you think about it, getting $3 million dollars was a 'shrewd' business move. That money will cover the salary of Jordan Crawford so the impact to the bottom line is essentially $0. More money is available for JJ and other pickups.

Lol they can pay Jordan Crawford and Larry Drew with the money they got selling that German kid. My biggest gripe about our ownership is they're micro managing. You hired a lifelong nba man in Sund and he cant even pick a coach. SAD

Will they lose money with the Hawks? You betcha. Are they cheap. NO. They just don't have the cash to be as competitive as other owners. They want to win.

The question is what comes with winning?

Since the 1980, there have only been8 teams to ever win the championship. There are like 12 all time. How did that work out for them? How did the ownership fair?

Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Pistons, Heat, Rockets. Spurs and 76ers.

This is our model. We want to be mentioned with this group instead of the group that did good but couldn't win it.

Funny but only one team on your list sold a pick. Heat, but they are targeting two max players plus resigning Wade. I cannot even fathom how you could list us in the same company as the above with our current ownership. But a song did come to mind when trying to figure it out, Dream On by Aerosmith

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators

Funny but only one team on your list sold a pick. Heat, but they are targeting two max players plus resigning Wade. I cannot even fathom how you could list us in the same company as the above with our current ownership. But a song did come to mind when trying to figure it out, Dream On by Aerosmith

Exactly. None of those teams sold a pick for any purpose other than clearing cap space. We have no need to clear cap space and selling our pick did nothing to affect our cap space except actually reduce our room under the luxury tax because the cheaper roster spot taken by the #31 pick will be replaced by a more expensive veteran.

That is not a coincidence that none of these teams ditch their draft picks except where they see a competitive advantage in doing so. Anyone think Boston regrets buying Rajon Rondo from el-living-example-of-why-it's-a-bad-idea-to-sell-your-draft-picks Phoenix Suns?

• Premium Member

Exactly. None of those teams sold a pick for any purpose other than clearing cap space. We have no need to clear cap space and selling our pick did nothing to affect our cap space except actually reduce our room under the luxury tax because the cheaper roster spot taken by the #31 pick will be replaced by a more expensive veteran.

That is not a coincidence that none of these teams ditch their draft picks except where they see a competitive advantage in doing so. Anyone think Boston regrets buying Rajon Rondo from el-living-example-of-why-it's-a-bad-idea-to-sell-your-draft-picks Phoenix Suns?

In all function, selling the pick is the same as trading a future pick. A lot of teams trade future picks for vet players. It's the exact same thing. I have been reading you harp on the selling of the pick as if it's the worst thing in the world. However, if we had used the pick in a trade for a vet, it would have been the same thing. "Mortgaging our future". Funny thing is that Boston mortgaged it's future to get a vet team that can win a championship. Do you think Boston has any regrets about trading Kevin Garnett in exchange for Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, Sebastian Telfair, a 2009 first round draft pick (top three protected) and a return of Minnesota's conditional first round draft pick previously obtained in the Ricky Davis-Wally Szczerbiak trade?

In all function, selling the pick is the same as trading a future pick. A lot of teams trade future picks for vet players. It's the exact same thing. I have been reading you harp on the selling of the pick as if it's the worst thing in the world. However, if we had used the pick in a trade for a vet, it would have been the same thing. "Mortgaging our future". Funny thing is that Boston mortgaged it's future to get a vet team that can win a championship. Do you think Boston has any regrets about trading Kevin Garnett in exchange for Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff, Sebastian Telfair, a 2009 first round draft pick (top three protected) and a return of Minnesota's conditional first round draft pick previously obtained in the Ricky Davis-Wally Szczerbiak trade?

So in your opinion obtaining 3 million dollars for a 2nd round pick is somehow equal to obtaining KG. You would be a really easy owner to work for LOL

• Moderators

Like I said, wake me up when we sign this mythical Kevin Garnett type of free agent. In fact, wake me up when we sign any free agent with a future. Who have we signed as FAs in the last 4 years?

Here is the list of the free agents we have signed over the last 4 years:

2006-07

Cedric Bozeman

Speedy Claxton

Matt Freije

Slava Medvedenko

Jeremy Richardson

Dijon Thompson

Lorezen Wright

2007-08

Mario West

2008-09

Maurice Evans

Thomas Gardner

Othello Hunter

Randolph Morris

Flip Murray

2009-10

Jason Collins

Joe Smith

Now lets divide them into categories:

Worthwhile players with a future:

None

Worthwhile players without a future that made an impacte:

Flip Murray

Worthwhile role players without a future:

Maurice Evans

Complete Busts On Significant Contracts

Speedy Claxton

Old and worthless

Lorenzen Wright

Jason Collins

Joe Smith

Young and worthless

Cedric Bozeman

Matt Freije

Slava Medvedenko

Jeremy Richardson

Dijon Thompson

Mario West

Thomas Gardner

Othello Hunter

Randolph Morris

This is the free agent history that frames my cynicism. If I believed for a second we would sign a free agent with a future or who could be a significant impact for the team, then I would be more open to this.

Edited by AHF

• Moderators

Did they really get $3m? If so, I don't blame them for being cheap in this case.

It works out like this:

2010-11 #31 pick at roughly $600K salary

2011-12 Roughly $700K salary (not guaranteed)

2012-13 Roughly $800K salary (not guaranteed)

v.

2010-11 $3M - cost of the veteran that fills that roster spot

2011-12 Cost of the veteran to fill that spot (guaranteed)

2012-13 Cost of the veteran to fill that spot (guaranteed)

Worthless veterans who just clog roster space like Jason Collins cost roughly $825K. Marginal veteran big men like Zaza Pachulia cost $4.75M/year and need to be signed for multiple years. Younger big men free agents who could one day be starters get paid on speculation on guaranteed multi-year deals with the low end being in the range of Marcin Gortat $6.3M (which usually means the player is retained by their current team) or in the higher end of contracts such as the one received by Samuel Dalembert that pays $13.3M in 2010-11.

The ASG says they will use the $3M to go pay a veteran. Diesel has said that paying a veteran like Kevin Garnett is a totally valid way to use draft picks to build your team. I agree.

So who is the free agent big man we are going to spend this money on who will bring the Kevin Garnett-like impact that makes giving up young talent worthwhile?

The Phoenix Suns used this approach and ended up signing Marcus Banks to a multi-year deal at roughly $4M/year instead of keeping Rajon Rondo at roughly $1.25M year. They pocketed the $3M from selling the pick and then spent more to get inferior production.

Edited by AHF

• Premium Member

So in your opinion obtaining 3 million dollars for a 2nd round pick is somehow equal to obtaining KG. You would be a really easy owner to work for LOL

So in your opinon, a second round pick is going to make us great???

Come on. Acie Law was picked 11th.

• Premium Member

So D, what gives you confidence the $3M will be better spent on a vet than on the first pick in the second round?

First off, I don't think that this was a particularly strong draft. Just like every year, a lot of us got hyped up on late first rounders who probably won't pan out. This draft had a NBA draft 2000 ring to it. Like I said before the draft, the draft is not going to make the team. The draft is just what it is, an opportunity to give somebody else a chance (even if they are not NBA material). I think that this being the biggest FA year that the NBA has seen since the Allen Houston rule year, I think that it's just better to have money now than to have another project. With that 3 Million, we can probably re-aquire Solo. I think he'd be better than anyone we could have drafted. Then there's us doing something with Chillz. There's a lot of things. However, this is not us passing up Rondo. This is us passing up some ham and egger in the second round of a weak draft.

So in your opinon, a second round pick is going to make us great???

Come on. Acie Law was picked 11th.

It could make us better; and you somehow correlated our 3 million dollar sale to the Celtics aquiring KG. I think pick 31 making us better is much more realistic than being able to turn 3 million dollars into KG.