• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al Horford

clicklandshopping

Does everyone say trade Josh? Is Al just that more talented? Sorry, but I think Josh brings more to the party.

Josh is more of a playmaker defensively, but that's it. Al is better at scoring in the post. He's better at shooting from 10 feet. He's better at shooting from 15 feet. He's better at shooting from 23 feet. Overall, he's a better positional defender than Josh.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Does everyone say trade Josh? Is Al just that more talented? Sorry, but I think Josh brings more to the party.

It's harder to replace Al because of his specialty and ability but if he's having second thoughts and if Money is tight, we might want to consider using him + Marvin to get us a Center. The only problem is that there aren't many good Centers out there. Maybe Brook Lopez+ Filler for Marvin/Horf.

Josh is more of a playmaker defensively, but that's it. Al is better at scoring in the post. He's better at shooting from 10 feet. He's better at shooting from 15 feet. He's better at shooting from 23 feet. Overall, he's a better positional defender than Josh.

I rounded these stat to the nearest ten......Ha Ha! Josh Smith: 16 points 9 rebounds 4 assist 2 blocks 2 steals per 35 mins with no real plays for him and 2nd in the defensive player of the year. Al Horford: 14 points 10 rebounds 2 assist 1 block 1 steal per 35 mins and voted by the fans to the Allstar game. After looking at that, I can see why there may be tension in the locker room. I say they are both valuable and are equally tradeable,

It's harder to replace Al because of his specialty and ability but if he's having second thoughts and if Money is tight, we might want to consider using him + Marvin to get us a Center. The only problem is that there aren't many good Centers out there. Maybe Brook Lopez+ Filler for Marvin/Horf.

I think that is why Al went to the Al-Star game. (Lack of good centers)Josh should not be upset with Al for that, but I think he is. I believe who ever has the best value is who we will trade. I wish we could keep both somehow.......Decisions Decisions!

• Premium Member

I think that is why Al went to the Al-Star game. (Lack of good centers)Josh should not be upset with Al for that, but I think he is. I believe who ever has the best value is who we will trade. I wish we could keep both somehow.......Decisions Decisions!

We're not trying to trade for Chemistry here. I mean if that's the case, trade Marvin for a first and move Smoove to the 3 and Horf to the 4 and get a Center in here. However, we have to be careful about team building. We have to build this team right. Right now, we're all at a lost for how that goes because nobody knows what LD can do. Many people want to Judge our players based on Woody's system. The problem is that Woody is gone.

• Like 1

We're not trying to trade for Chemistry here. I mean if that's the case, trade Marvin for a first and move Smoove to the 3 and Horf to the 4 and get a Center in here. However, we have to be careful about team building. We have to build this team right. Right now, we're all at a lost for how that goes because nobody knows what LD can do. Many people want to Judge our players based on Woody's system. The problem is that Woody is gone.

Correct!!! That is why I said in another topic we should not trade anyone until LD makes a true accessment of this ball club. I think at the beginning of the year we should start the same lineup, get a defensive backup big man, Slide Al to the 4 and Josh to the 3 (As backups of course)and see how that works. We can figure out Mo and Chillz later.

Only a FOOL would trade Al right now; this dude couldn't make a post move without traveling his rookie year.

Look how much his game has improved since then. If his game grows just as much as he has the past two years he will be unguardable in two more years.

Losing Al would be a big mistake, especially since there are really no centers out there.

Edited by swolehawk2

Only a FOOL would trade Al right now; this dude couldn't make a post move without traveling his rookie year.

Look how much his game has improved since then. If his game grows just as much as he has the past two years he will be unguardable in two more years.

Losing Al would be a big mistake, especially since there are really no centers out there.

Yes. No one can argue his improvement, his jump shot alone was obvious. He's an All-Star playing out of his natural position, that's impressive. His attitude and passsion seem genuine. It would be silly to see him go.

yep...josh puts up better #s and should've been an all-star, but given the # of quality c's to pf's, al got in instead.

no one deny's josh's incredible abilities, and in fact athletically he's well above horf. the two main things when deciding between the two to trade that al has in his favor are a. he's cheaper (i.e. you can get much more in salary back trading josh than al), and b. he's more mature. you can count on al to work, play, and improve more than josh on a consistent basis. if you have a chance to have either of them still on the team when they are approaching or passing age 30, you want it to be al because you will have more faith in him being smart enough to have developed beyond pure athleticism.

Edited by bird_dirt

yep...josh puts up better #s and should've been an all-star, but given the # of quality c's to pf's, al got in instead.

no one deny's josh's incredible abilities, and in fact athletically he's well above horf. the two main things when deciding between the two to trade that al has in his favor are a. he's cheaper (i.e. you can get much more in salary back trading josh than al), and b. he's more mature. you can count on al to work, play, and improve more than josh on a consistent basis. if you have a chance to have either of them still on the team when they are approaching or passing age 30, you want it to be al because you will have more faith in him being smart enough to have developed beyond pure athleticism.

Great thought out points!!! That also sounds like what the ASG thinks about Joe........Thanks for clearing that up for me!! I still would love both to stay though.

You think that Marvin is more disruptive to the teams chemistry than Josh Smith? Do you honestly believe that?

LD coming on as coach could change a lot of things with the team and it could make some players more productive and some players less productive, but one thing that will not change with LD as the coach is that Josh Smith will still be immature and will still have games where he absolutely kills the team with his sulking and pouting and complaining. If we were really worried about the chemistry of the team, and I do believe that is a MAJOR concern about 2 straight years of seeing the team quit, then we'd look to trade the player who effects the teams chemistry the most and in both a good way and a bad way that without a doubt is Josh Smith.

I posted this in another thread, but since you asked.....

Who would you guys rather have?

Player "A"

-smart

-great work ethic

-plays tough "D"...tries hard all the time

-know his limitations...almost never a liability on the court

-plays well on the road and at home

-averages a double/double and has improved every year

-unspectacular, but VERY consistent

-is respected by refs due to his proffesionalism on the court

-reliable free throw shooter

Player "B"

-dumb as a rock

-lazy...walks back on "D"...plays hard only when he feels like it

-doesn't know his limitations. Still takes dumb shots ever game

-plays horribly on the road

-very inconsistent on offense

-can be spectacular, but VERY inconsistent

-argues with refs at every opportunity

-horrible free throw shooter....will be the one the opposition targets in late close games

I will take player "A" every time. And I think you know who player "A" is :)

I sorta agree with Rick Sund. The PF position has evolved a ton. Now you have guys like Dirk, Rashard Lewis,Bargnani and Antwan Jamison playing the four along with bangers like Al Jefferson and Zack Randolph. These guys can pull Al away from the paint, thus making him less effective. On the other hand, Josh is better suited to go out on the wing and defend the "new Power Forward" that the league features. The question becomes, if you move Al to the four, will he still be as effective (All Star Caliber) there? Lets not forget the seven footers (Duncan and Gasol) that play the four.

None of us know for sure what will happen should Al move. What we do know is Al made the All Star team as a five. He was able to exploit mismatches. Yes, playing against Dwight Howard makes him look bad. However, Howard has that advantage most nights. And, truth be told, it was our perimeter defense that killed us the most IMHO.

I posted this in another thread, but since you asked.....

Who would you guys rather have?

Player "A"

-smart

-great work ethic

-plays tough "D"...tries hard all the time

-know his limitations...almost never a liability on the court

-plays well on the road and at home

-averages a double/double and has improved every year

-unspectacular, but VERY consistent

-is respected by refs due to his proffesionalism on the court

-reliable free throw shooter

Player "B"

-dumb as a rock

-lazy...walks back on "D"...plays hard only when he feels like it

-doesn't know his limitations. Still takes dumb shots ever game

-plays horribly on the road

-very inconsistent on offense

-can be spectacular, but VERY inconsistent

-argues with refs at every opportunity

-horrible free throw shooter....will be the one the opposition targets in late close games

I will take player "A" every time. And I think you know who player "A" is :)

Player B is a walking triple double when his head is on straight. Player B is a hometown guy that is one of the most athletic, if not THE most athletic, player in the NBA. It's difficult to choose who I'd rather have, because, like you've stated, Player A is everything. Player A is what I would want if I was Larry Drew. But if I was Rick Sund and one of them needed to be traded to make us better, that's almost impossible to choose.

So my answer is let Smoove continue on, and do what it takes to extend Horf a year from now. Keep em both... without a doubt.

Al is not better than Smith at scoring in the post. Horford's post game is so weak that he would be much better off if he just abandoned his back to the basket game entirely. If he ever decides to become strictly a face up player then he has a chance to become more than just a complementary scorer.